Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD Fender Pawn Shop 51 in Ebony

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by thefees, Sep 16, 2012.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

2. drvoodoo

drvoodoo Tele-Holic

Dec 14, 2011
    Ekedalen
    Glad you like your new 51. I have the 72, great guitar as well. Enjoy:)

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    So, tell me, do you like your new '51?:cool:

4. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2010
    PA-US
    I have to agree with you about Consumer Reports. They rated the Samsung LCD's as number one for years. I bought the 46, and referred friends who bought three of them, and all three have had the power supply board go bad on them.

Anyhow pertaining to the knowledge of the consumer, yes they are not as mechanically inclined as you or I, (I had a shop for 20 years) but they do know if they had to replace a trans, or whether their electrical system, or brakes etc created problems. So with that in mind I find the "Annual Auto Survey" to be relatively accurate. My shop was a body shop and grew into the largest shop in my area. I personally took them all apart, and put them back together so although I am sure things have changed a lot today, the frustration I experienced back then, I went into specializing in imported cars.

You know for example the upper hinge on most GM cars has one bolt coming from the inside out, and the other two are on the outside. The only problem is if someone gets that door hit, and the hinge needs to be replaced, you have to remove the dash in order to access the bolt. Dash removal and replacement takes a lot of time. All of the plugs are the same, so you are using masking tape, and making up a numbering system to be sure and get the right plug into the right receiver. Invariably one of them goes in wrong, and then you have to remove the dash again in order to try and figure out how to correct it.

When removing the dash which is held in at the top with clips that tuck into the cardboard panel underneath the vinyl, the cardboard slots open up from removal, and then the customer comes back with a dash rattle problem that you need to remove the dash again in order to fix. All the while the insurance company is only giving you the Point 8 as in .8 or 8 tenths of one hour to replace the hinge which is all you would need if all three bolts were on the outside.

By the way when you get all three bolts out, the receiving plate that is inside of the front door channel column slides down to the rocker inside without access. So now you are using your chewing gum on a stick to try and fetch it up. Then how do you hold it in place while you are remounting the door and putting the first bolt in? You could do it with the dash out and put the one bolt from the inside out they way the factory did it, but then you would be setting it with the door closed, or put two men on it with one sitting inside of the car.

To get the proper perspective of this problem, let's look at what Porsche does. They simply weld a little cage inside of the front column with the receiver threaded plate sitting inside of it. The access holes a are a little wider so you can adjust the door, but the plate will not drop down into the column because it is inside a cage. No bubble gum here, and you can do everything from the outside of the car. So now you are concentrating on supporting the door real nice with a towel between the jack, and board to support the door so as to not harm anything. And then you are doing a pinky up in the air job of refinishing the hinge so you can't tell it was ever replaced.

With the other deal you are so frustrated at fighting with the thing the last thing on your mind is manicuring the hinge. So shops torch the old one off, and then only put in two bolts and fake the third, and then the people get into a car accident and sue you for faulty workmanship that caused the door to cave more than usual etc. etc. etc.
    One thing I used to say at the shop all of the time. "One problem leads to another".
    Bubba thanks for listening to all of this. You're a buddy.

5. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2010
    PA-US
    Thanks for the good belly laugh. I guess I did go a little overboard. The other thing that freaked me out was I was looking for a guitar that had some bark to it. So I'm playing with Les Pauls, buy one try it out, try another, and then along comes this Tele which has more bark to it than any other guitar I have ever played. So putting it all together my mind was blown.

6. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2010
    PA-US
    I just checked completed listings on eBay and they are selling USED for $500. I paid $522 new.
    I bought the guitar because of the incredible tone, and build quality, the fact that it was on a special special at Guitar Center for 5 days at a $327 discount over their normal price of $850 of course helped to close the deal. Would I have paid $850 for it? I would have wanted to, but I wouldn't think of it right now, I am remodeling the house, and just purchased a Les Paul. But at that price, and quality, I pulled the trigger. If the new Epi LP faded cherry burst Ultra III doesn't come up to snuff it will go back, but I like the acoustic option on that one. Anyhow, the risk is all but gone. So if in a year I don't want it anymore I can lose $22 plus advertising costs. (or Craigs List for free) I don't ever plan on selling it.

7. bugo

bugo Tele-Holic

Jul 29, 2006
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    You must have played some bad Japanese Fenders or I got lucky and got 2 good ones. I would put both of mine (one is a Squier) up against any Fender short of a CS or Masterbilt. They play, sound, and look lovely. Hopefully you'll play a really good one and change your mind.

8. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    No disrespect to the squier guys, but i've played a lot of them and a lot of the fender version and there is absolutely no comparison. Unlike the classic vibes for example, the 51's even at the ridiculous price they were blowing them out for are of a quality that pretty much matches the price. As quality goes they are about as low as any squier i've seen. For the $ they're good if you want that. But the fender is leaps an bounds above them. It's like comparing a banquet $.99 dinner to fine restaurant fare. So comparing the 2 and saying mine was dirt cheap doesn't mean thats the way to go. For me, i would happily pay the 8-10 times the price for the fender because IMO it's easily 10 times better. If i like a guitar in the $800 range enough to buy one, thats means i love the thing and i don't want a $70 one thats no where near as nice. The fender japan version is as well made as any fender i've ever come across, has a neck to die for which while subjective is IMO galaxies apart from the squier.

So bacically if i wanted a beach guitar of that design, the squier would be fine. But if i love the design and want a guitar i know i will savor in every way, i'll happily pay 10 times the cost of the squier. And heres the thing....i generally LOVE cheap guitars that are great quality for the money like the CV's, and i will often buy them over a USA fender or anything because even tho they are cheap, they are IMO close to or as good aside from a few parts you can change cheaply and easily. But if the core (the body and neck) is close to or as good, thats what matters. The squier 51's just aren't they're very cheaply made and it's obvious. Thats not to say there isn't a place for that sorta thing, but trying to suggest that they are comparable and the price makes the squier the far better value is IMO not the case. The choice is 2 very very different pieces, and the prices are fair for what they are and you should choose based on what you want because they both give you a very very different thing.

9. MatthewK

MatthewK Tele-Holic

Jul 29, 2009
    Hobart, Australia
    I had one of the Squier 51s and I hated it, specifically the neck. It felt like budget furniture to me. I have an old MIJ Squier and that's fantastic, so it's not the label on the headstock I objected to.
    Sold it for more than I paid for it, so I regard it with some affection in hindsight.

10. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Yeah, the old MIJ squiers were great. They were actually the same guitar basically was the MIJ reissues that came right after but with cast tuners instead of vintage, flatter radius, different pups etc. Ok, a lot of little differences but the bodies and necks were made to the same standards and with vintage truss rod necks. I had a couple. Wish i still had them.

11. MatthewK

MatthewK Tele-Holic

Jul 29, 2009
    Hobart, Australia
    Actually mine is a dead-on Tele Custom reissue, 7.25 radius, slot tuners, reissue widerange etc. A domestic Japan model from 1984. Absolutely the equal of the 80s Fender Japan Tele I have, except for the pickups.

12. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    i love MIJ and own a Fender Japan Tele which is fabulous quality wise .I have played the pawn shop 51 and its a fine guitar in its own right ,but I have to go with Boris on this one .The Squier has that great neck and a mojo all of its own .An original design from Squier it has a special place,not just on price .i just wish I had kept mine ...doh.
    If you love this guitar then buy it .Its a very good guitar and with MIJ you just cannot lose.Has it been discontinued ?.The latest Pawn shop are MIM

13. redstrand

redstrand Tele-Meister

I miss my '51...you guys ain't helping with the GAS.

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Matches $ 69. You can't find a neck in that thickness alone for under $ 100.

Look, you're at a severe disadvantage if what you played were "stock" Squier 51s. They were in the nature of a kit. I replaced every nut, replaced every set of tuners, modified in a variety of ways the seriously flawed stock bridge.

Once you do these things, you're not playing the same guitar, not close IMO. Some folks don't have the inclination or the resources to do this. That's fine, but that puts that person out of position to offer the most sophisticated evaluation of the Squier 51 model.

Yes, I know I may be the only guy here who attacked a pallet full of black Squier 51s at a Sam Ash location and opened most boxes and cherry picked what I felt were the best 25% of them and took those home at $ 69 each. I've owed 30 of these things. I happen to feel the greater thickness of the neck gives the Squier 51 properties the Fender 51 will never have. And, I like the pickups better too, once the rattles, inoperable bridge and trashy noises were done away with.

[​IMG]

15. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2010
    PA-US
    +1 "As quality goes they are about as low as any squier i've seen. For the $ they're good if you want that. But the fender is leaps an bounds above them." and +1 for everything else that you said.

16. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2010
    PA-US
    I have been playing guitar for over 40 years. I'm mostly a Tele guy as evidenced by my 66 bought brand new. I was going into Guitar Center to buy a Les Paul which I did, but when I saw this Fender 51 pawn shop I thought I would give it a try. Immediately it felt right. Then I played it and was surprised that a guitar would be setup so beautifully right out of the box. It played like magic. When I plugged it in it had not only the beautiful Tele and Strat tones, it also had other mixes when blended with the bridge "Enforcer" pickup that had split coil options in the volume push-pull knob. I was buying the Les Paul because I wanted a guitar in my collection of mostly all Teles and Strats, I wanted one that had more bark. That special extended mid-range tone that is so cool. Well the Fender 51 had so much bark it almost barks at you when you walk past it.
    Ok the bottom line is that I had always heard about the Japanese made guitars, at least some of them being something to cherish, and this one is a perfect example of that. They had a butterscotch one there too which behaved the same way. So this is not a fluke. I was so overwhelmed by this guitar I knew I had to have it no matter what else I do.
    By the way the Les Paul I bought, it had beautiful flame maple, but the action sucks. It is going back. The Fender is a keeper.

17. ficklepie

ficklepie Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2008
    Mexico
    I'm listening to this clip and thinking, "Hmm, what jazz standard is this again...?" And then it hit me. :eek:

Nice sounding geetar, actually.

18. -------------------------------------------
    Wow! Sounds like you really love this guitar as you have extensively expressed in this thread. That video really showed the clarity in sound. I think that push-pull tone knob is a pick-up selector, not a coil-split. Very simple. The tone range might not be that versatile but still, the tone you get sounds really, really good. The Texas Specials sound like a really good set. I have a set a Fender Noiseless that also ran about $200 a set. I wouldn't pay $170 to get them installed...why?? Why pay that much when you can do it yourself!?!? I have a degree in Electronics Engineering and all that jazz, but soldering is pretty straightforward and not that hard. I'm glad you got that guitar around $500....that's a better price than $1000 which is an insane & greedy price. But then again, the guitar seems like an amazing player. Guitars built in Japan are very good quality. Back in the day, people thought Made in Japan was low quality. The perception these days are much different. People are much wiser these days (thanks to the internet) and that stigma attached to Japanese guitars in the past was immature and hype, not substance. Congratulations on this fine guitar.:D

19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Don't know about the new '51s but the push pull was a coil split on the original '51. It was a great little guitar.

20. robotguitar

robotguitar Tele-Holic

Dec 29, 2009
    visalia, CA
    Well, I got one made in Indonesia in 2005 with a sunburst finish. I got it for 50 bucks. The things are cool. Especially the ability to split the humbucker. Didn't dig the neck so I sold it for around $160 on bay. Didn't know that they are remaking the previous discontinued Squier 51. Is that even legal?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.