NGD - Fender Jazzmaster (Prettiest Guitar I’ve Ever Owned)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Andy Summers, May 15, 2019.

1. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

Thanks Norris Vulcan! I believe it’s mostly the cosmetics. It’s also got a Mustang brass saddle bridge, and the switch for switching the circuits isn’t the slider switch more commonly seen. Looks like a regular 3 way style switch, only it’s a 2 way..haha.

Here’s the specs if you’re interested:
    C455355C-54B2-4624-A545-C33225BD7E15.jpeg F23F9A64-2078-46A5-B00F-7E554F353DDA.jpeg 8698EB52-0162-4C8D-834B-6315A603D11B.jpeg

Norris Vulcan likes this.
  2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The TVL-JM model is certainly an interestingly considered build. Along with the JMJM are high points in the range.

I have been building a parts JM, actually two. One more traditional JM the other a JM crossed with an LP.

It seems as if JM popularity has been increasing the last year or two. Tele is steady and JMs are displacing Strats and SGs.

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nice one, great choice :)

I use the rhythm circuit as any other selection, and it’s only ‘dark’ if you roll the tone or volume down, IME. The TVL upper toggle switch facilitates use as a kill switch (roll the volume down on one of the circuits). Also, the TVL I owned had 500k pots in the lead circuit. The bridge was a little special for it’s time, having chromed brass saddles. I replaced mine with a Mastery but the stock bridge is fine too. I miss mine, being a big fan of B&B necks with matched headstocks..

AAT65, Andy Summers and brookdalebill like this.
  4. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Beautiful!

Andy Summers likes this.
  5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

:cool::cool::cool:

Andy Summers likes this.
  6. Andy Summers

Yeah! It’s a great guitar. I’ve read quite a few Jazzmaster owners go with the Mastery bridge. I looked at it and it seems a bit pricey for me right now at 200 bucks. I figure I’ll see how the stock bridge goes and take it from there.

Was the Mastery a direct fit for the TVL? No drilling necessary, I hope?

7. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Maybe I missed this, but why are you concerned about the bridge? I put a similar Mustang-style bridge on my VMJM and it works great. I still notice a very slight rattle at times, but I'm thinking I just need to shim it a touch higher than I already have.

8. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I've had a TVL like your for a little over a year and I think it's one of the best guitars I own. After years of playing guitars with the tone control full on initially I was disappointed with the JM. Until I figured out that the tone control is highly functional on this guitar and once you understand it you find it's a real tone machine. The mastery bridge is nice, but the only issue I had with the stock Mustang bridge was that the high e was resting on the back of the bridge body. I put a real thin metal shim under it and all is right. Good luck with yours.

AAT65 likes this.
  9. Andy Summers

I’m not concerned about it. I was responding BorderRadio’s post regarding his switch to the mastery bridge. I’ve read a lot of people make this mod on Jazzmasters, of course this one already comes with a better bridge than the standard Jazzmasters. I’m going to stick with the stock one and if it offers no downside I see no reason to spend 200 bucks on the Mastery. Nothing wrong with that, but if I don’t need to, I’d rather keep the 200.00 :)

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  10. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Beautiful guitar! Love the look. I hope you have many years of pleasure playing it. Congratulations!

Andy Summers likes this.
  11. Andy Summers

Thanks Bob M! I’ve already noticed the difference the tome control makes in this guitar. Thing of beauty for sure!! Love this thing a lot!! Glad you’re enjoying yours too!!!

12. Andy Summers

Thank you, idjster!

13. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ah, gotcha. No telling where your preference/curiosity will lead you, but I don't think the stock bridge will give you any problems. If it does, look into shimming, as I mentioned. Some modern Jazzmasters have an angled neck pocket, which has the same effect; no idea if yours has one. Either method forces you to raise the bridge in order to get the same action, which puts more downward pressure on the bridge and alleviates any buzzing/rattling. Some blue Loctite on the bridge can help, too.

AAT65 and Andy Summers like this.
  14. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Meister

Congratulations! That oxblood is a really sweet color. Such a standout guitar! You won’t see one of those on every street corner. It’s really cool to see block inlays on a Fender fingerboard. Enjoy!
    Oh...and more pics!

Andy Summers likes this.
  15. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've used both Mastery and Staytrem for several years now, and both well designed and made bridges. I sold off all my Staytrems because they now command prices equal to the Mastery. If I want the rocking design, American Pro bridge are available for less. That's also why I decided to stick with Mastery, because they don't ratchet to one side of the thimble. Another plus is the fact I can adjust radius (somewhat) to my liking. It's worth the bucks for tuning stability, being able to nearly abuse the thing and have it come back into tune. The TVL bridge was fine for subtle use, just had some issues with the E strings hanging to close to the edge of the finger board.

Early TVLs reportedly had narrow thimbles and they needed to be swapped for a Mastery. Mine had larger thimbles and the Mastery dropped right in.

Andy Summers and brookdalebill like this.
  16. Blueguitar007

Blueguitar007 TDPRI Member

The MIJ are mostly Basswood, later ones maybe Alder. but I didn't think so..I don't know exactly.
    CIJ are alder (maybe all?). My CIJ Jaguar is the heaviest guitar I own.
    Basswood you can sometimes see large/medium dark streaks in it sometimes a greenish color - if it's a paint you can see through a bit...or check the heel of guitar or wherever wood is exposed. Anyway basswood strips screws easy IMO but it's worth it for the weight.

Jsil13 likes this.
  17. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Beautiful Jazzmaster, AS! I played 'em for several years back in the 80's, and loved just about everything about 'em. The Mustang bridge is great, if only so you don't have to find right groove every string change. I've found that the BuzzStop is good for if you want to use 9's, but 10's or bigger stay put pretty well without it. The Jazzmaster is so comfortable sitting or standing - maybe Fender's best body design! Congrats, it's a beauty!

Andy Summers likes this.
  18. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

What a beauty, looks very cool. Congrats.

Andy Summers likes this.
  19. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

I just looked it up on Chicago Music Exhange's website. Apparently the paisley ones are alder. I'm not sure about the other ones. Its not quite as heavy as my old CIJ jazz bass, but it's definitely the heaviest guitar I own. Well until I finish this ash non reverse firebird I'm building anyway.

20. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

They are very pretty.....and I mean that in the roughest and most bad*ss way.

:cool:

Nice!

Andy Summers likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.