Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD - Fender Deluxe Nashville Tele....

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Butch Snyder, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Trenton, OH
    I looked for this model in the "Owners' Clubs" forum and didn't find one. Anyway, here's my story....

A few weeks ago, I bought a Fender Brad Paisley Road Worn Telecaster. I had heard about it via Facebook, believe it or not. I saw that my local Guitar Center had one in stock. I went down during lunch and decided to check it out. I was very pleasantly surprised by how it felt, played, and sounded. It was like I had owned it for 10 years. I pulled the trigger and bought it.

I had read wear guys were having trouble with neck stickiness. Most of the reports were coming from the TDPRI. I know it's finished in nitrocellulous lacquer. To me, that's a good thing. Well, after a couple of weeks, I started noticing some "gunk" on the fretboard. I wash my hands, insesently, but the neck "was" getting gunky and stickier. Interestesting that I have owned other guitars with lacquered finishes and they got smoother and dryer with time. This one was getting worse. I was also kind of getting tired of the silver sparkle.

I need to make a decision before my 45 days were up. I decided to return it. What to get though?

I wok about 10 minutes from my local GC. I'm there probably 2-3x/week during lunch; usually trying out different amps. I'm always using the same few guitars; daphne blue Classic 50s Strat, white blonde Deluxe Nashville Tele, and Classic Player 50s Baja Tele. I enjoy all those guitars. Yesterday, I decided to make a decision and the Nashville won. I really like the way Fender did that model. The pickups are very nice and hum-free and it has a great feel. I have always really liked the satin-finished necks.

Brought it home and realized that the 9-guage have to go. They felt like rubber bands. Put my favorite strings on (Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies) and it felt much better. I collect pickguards. I have an aged white pearl and a tortoise shell; both with Nashville pickup routes. Both look horrid. The 3-ply black looks good but I think a black pearl might look better.

I really like the tone of the Noiseless pickups and no hum. My sound guy's going to appreciate that! They're the "Vintage Noiseless" models. Again, I was pleasanty surprised by how nice they sound. I did install a set of Dunlop straplocks that I had lying in a drawer.

It's kind of funny. I have, at any given time, 2-3 guitars. I sell and trade often though and am getting tired of it. I'd like to settle down with what I have. Kind of always yearning for that classic 50s/60s Tele but ALWAYS putting it a middle Strat pickup. I like versatility. That partially why I chose the Nashville.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    shupe13 and dlew919 like this.

2. ToddinTX

ToddinTX Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Congrats on the new tele! Do you have any pictures? I just ordered a Deluxe Nashville in Daphne blue, and it should arrive later this week. I'm looking forward to getting it.

3. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Trenton, OH
    Thanks, I will take some photos tonight. BTW, I love the look of the daphne blue. Might even take mine back for one and have GC order it.

4. ToddinTX

ToddinTX Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    I love the look too. Been wanting one for a while and finally found a dealer selling one with a maple neck. I knew then I had to go for it.[​IMG]

5. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    OKC, OK
    I thought the DB came with maple. My Fiesta Red has the rosewood. Enjoy!

6. sammy123

sammy123 Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2011
    MKE
    Congratulations on finding the right guitar.

I just recently acquired a 2008 Nashville and am loving it so far.

7. Artunes

Artunes Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2016
    Oshkosh, B'gosh
    I used a Deluxe Nashville on stage for nine years. Mine is a MIM model that was made in 2006, so it's got the Tex-Mex pickups in it. I loved how versatile it is. But alas, I fell in love with a sexy Stratocaster six months ago, and that has become my new #1 squeeze.

8. ToddinTX

ToddinTX Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    I could find lots of DB with rosewood but none with maple. Then, when I came across this one, I knew to jump on it. Plus, it was a good price.

OP, I'm looking forward to the pictures!

9. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Meister

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I really liked the sound of the Nashville too. Owned one for a couple of days. Didn't bond with the neck though, and because of it's offset bolt pattern, changing the neck would have been a hassle. Match the Nashville with the Baja neck and I'm in tele-heaven. But instead I'm in strat-heaven...

Congratulations - it's a great guitar if you like a flatter neck...

-Ray

10. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

Mar 15, 2009
    virginia
    About ten years ago my brother brought over a Fender Nashville and suddenly I was playing stuff I never could before. I traded for it and still have it, great guitar.

11. Crobbins

Crobbins Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.

12. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    Congrats! I love mine!!

13. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    I have gigged mine hundreds of times- an early MIM, glossy neck. Really nice ride! Congrats.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.