Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD: Fender 60th Anniversary Jazzmaster

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Rayf_Brogan, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2017
    Washington
    I love this guitar. I bought it used so it came set up and Pau Ferro board has been well oiled. I honestly don't have a single complaint. I did swap out the tort pickguard for a mint green one. Everything fit except the tone pot which was a struggle to get through. I think the MIM stuff uses the same general size as their American counterparts, but relies on the metric system. Everything seems to be 1mm bigger or smaller depending on the part. Just enough to be annoying, but with a little glue or elbow grease, you can make it work.

I had a 60's Classic Lacquer JM last year and from what I can tell, the pickups in the 60th Anniversary sound the same. I suppose they're the same materials as the AV65 pickups but wound in Mexico so Fender re-branded them to avoid having two of the same pickups on the market with different country or origins.

For anyone hesitating on these guitars because of the Pau Ferro board, I'd say it's a non issue. They get really dark once you oil them even though it looks kind of washed out in my pictures. My assumption is PF boards are naturally lighter than Rosewood and dry out faster. Rather than apply oil at the factory and have them turn lighter by the time they get to their final destination, Fender just relies on us to figure that part on our own. The only turn off for me is some of those Pau Ferro boards have that asymmetrical grain running down the middle of the fretboard. That's not nearly as noticeable once the board is oiled, but I can see that being a turnoff. Luckily, mine didn't have that.

I also thought I'd miss the vintage style neck of the Classic 60's more, but this guitar is set up so well that it's more than comfortable to play and bending takes considerably less effort.

All in all, great guitar if you find one gently used. IMG_20190211_095244.jpg IMG_20190211_095145.jpg IMG_20190211_095103.jpg

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
  3. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Holic

Mar 18, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    Congrats!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Rayf_Brogan likes this.
  4. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2003
    Kittery, Maine
    Good call on the mint guard. Fiesta and mint...mmm...

Rayf_Brogan likes this.
  5. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Meister

What surprised me when I got a JM is what a filthy rock guitar it is :D
    Wolf in sheep's clothing.

Treynor and Rayf_Brogan like this.
  6. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2017
    Washington
    Yeah, I really wasn't expecting the balls this thing has. I figured I'd get some great cleans and surf rock novelty sounds, but that neck pickup gets pretty hairy.

7. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2003
    Kittery, Maine
    Such a versatile guitar - and mine actually twangs more than my tele.

Rayf_Brogan likes this.
  8. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Meister

From Tom Verlaine to J Mascis, and all those in-between

Rayf_Brogan likes this.
  9. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
  10. Papapotrero

Papapotrero TDPRI Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Wayne, Pa
    That’s a beauty. I play teles and just decided about 48 hours ago that I should play surf music, so I’ve been googling tons of stuff about JMs (yes, I know a tele can play anything, but that trem and JM vibe would be a lot of fun). Any tips on models to check out or to avoid? There’s a MIJ one for sale over the place with a cool blue flower paint job that looks fun. In particular, it sort of has the “tele” specs I’m used to (bigger neck, curvier radius) but the JM vibe all the way. I guess you just bought the model that spoke to you the most, but what I’m asking is if I gave you a big budget and said pick up your three favorite JMs, which would they be? If you asked me the same questions about teles, I’d have a nauseatingly detailed answer, so hoping someone has that on JMs to scratch my itch. Thx!

Rayf_Brogan and Fendereedo like this.
  11. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    I think the blue paisley is an MIJ, I played one a few weeks back, very impressive bit of kit imo.

Rayf_Brogan and Papapotrero like this.
  12. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Feb 6, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    Congrats on a great looking JM!

Rayf_Brogan likes this.
  13. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    Love it!! That is a beauty! I have a 65 Reissue, and a 66 original. These are fantastic playing guitars. Good Luck!

Rayf_Brogan likes this.
  14. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2017
    Washington
    The MIJ/CIJ guitars seem to be universally considered well made but it seems that the pots and pickups are not great. I did see those Paisley JMs on guitar center or musicians friend last week which is strange because they are MIJ. They look cool regardless. The pure vintage 65 JM pickups are the quintessential jazzmaster surf tone and you can pick those up for $80 bucks typically on eBay.

I was in the same boat as you. I'm a Tele player first but I wanted a offset guitar. The JM seems to be much more versatile than a Jaguar or Mustang. Have you tried one out yet? The long scale actually threw me off the first time I picked one up, but I got used to it. I actually find myself playing country music with it.

The surf green 60s classic laquer is a great guitar if you like the color. I wasn't crazy about it so I sold mine and grabbed the 60th anniversary model. I've softened up my stance on US vs MIM guitars over the last couple years. The quality is great and the finish feels so much nicer than my US Poly guitars. I think I'm sold on Nitro going forward.

Lastly, while the 9.5 radius on the 60th anniversary is perfectly fine, I don't plan on shredding and doing crazy bends on a Jazzmaster. I would prefer the 7.25 radius since chords just feel better to me that way but you can't get everything. Fender marketing saw to that. The 60s lacquer has a 7.25 fretboard radius.

15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    That looks nice. There are a lot of good sounds in a Jazzmaster. Wasn't the riff on "Pretty Woman" done on a Jazzmaster?

My first good guitar was a JM. I ran it into a Maestro Fuzz Tone and then a Fender BF Bassman amp and played Cream covers. :D It served me well until I traded it for a Les Paul.

Rayf_Brogan likes this.
  16. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2017
    Washington
    I almost pulled the trigger on a AV65 but chickened out because it was too expensive. They are beautiful.

17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nice, looks much better with mint BTW. Enjoy!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.