Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD! Eric Johnson Strat...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by awasson, Jan 11, 2019.

1. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Well, now I’ve gone and done it... I may have ruined myself for Strats.

I was completely satisfied with my 2010 Classic Player 60’s Strat and my amazing 1994 Squier Series Strat. They’re both setup really well and sound better than ever. They’re really great guitars but then I saw an Eric Johnson Strat over at Strat Talk and thought to myself:

”Now that’s a Strat I could have GAS for. Good thing they never show up used around here or I’d be in trouble”

Then the next day, one showed up, at the exact price I thought was reasonable in my market... Of course I had to jump on it. There’s really nothing else I could do. The deal was pretty much sealed when I showed it to my awesome wife and she suggested that she get it for me, for my birthday (it’s in 2 weeks).

744558A7-6A81-4FB6-A755-0EEE2E010C96.jpeg

The neck is 12” radius but it feels slightly smaller than the 12” radius on my Classic Player 60’s neck. The frets are awesome. I’m not sure what they are and I haven’t read into the specs but they’re part of the secret sauce that makes this guitar. The pickups are also something completely different from anything I’ve ever played. They sound big and full but without even a hint of stratitis or ear ripping brittleness. The bridge pickup has definitely ruined me for my other Strat bridge pickups. It sounds amazing. I would choose to play on the bridge of this guitar and it only gets better when you choose the neck and middle. I’m going to see if I can spend some more time plugged in with it today to get a really good feel for it. It was decked but 5 minutes with me and it’s now properly floating and the springs are parallel again.

There are so many details on this guitar from the saddles to the tone block that are tweaked that I’m sort of just discovering them one at a time and realizing how they all interplay to make this guitar what it is. The lacquer neck feels different. I get what people say about it being sticky but I can play intricate lead lines about 10% faster, in control because the guitar is just so well designed. It’s a whole new world and every time I pick it up I discover something new about it. I played it late into last night and then I was up at 5am again playing it for a little while.

It’s got a very subtle flame to it and I can’t really capture it on camera. Here are a bunch of photos of it.

194E5848-794C-42B7-BBEE-0D98EA27EC5F.jpeg 594E79E0-19AC-4958-9C78-4E1980DD2333.jpeg 8FD88C6C-C020-42A2-9499-EBF99F3EE580.jpeg 7E94177B-A835-4B95-98BE-5039E2500F87.jpeg 4F7F6E39-1AB9-4DFD-A70E-E64B7772FBD7.jpeg C6712EC8-16C0-4893-A0F5-01A91BC586DE.jpeg

MrGibbly, blues, MuddyDitch and 9 others like this.
  2. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 21, 2006
    Space
    If I didn't already have a Strat I love, I'd give these some very serious consideration.

awasson likes this.
  3. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Congrats! A tried a friend's some years back. I really could get into one. Totally understand how it could ruin me for other Strats!

I'm also a fan of lacquer necks.

Enjoy!

awasson likes this.
  4. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Congrats!

Had one just like and loved it. Miss it.

Unique set of specs on this model which make it special.

Enjoy!

awasson likes this.
  5. Bangdapoontwang

Bangdapoontwang Tele-Meister

Apr 21, 2006
    Hawaii
    5 springs decked is also part of the secret sauce. If you adjust the screws just right you can get some trem action without bending the bar, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awasson likes this.
  6. jutter

jutter Tele-Meister

Mar 8, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Congrats! What a beauty! EJ's are the best! Little kiss from his brother:
    [​IMG]

brookdalebill and awasson like this.
  7. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Classic Stratocaster look IMO. Cool guitar dude. HNGD.

awasson likes this.
  8. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 18, 2016
    Patterson, NY
    Good post, thanks. Have always heard that the EJ's were some of Fender's best production line gits. I'm anxious to try one.

awasson likes this.
  9. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I like it. I first thought you were talking about the Thinline model, I've been lusting for a Thinline Strat for some time now.:cool:

awasson and stratoman1 like this.
  10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Sacramento, California
    Sweet. That is one fine looking instrument. Congrats!

awasson likes this.
  11. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    As good as it gets right there.

I’m pretty sure EJ normal setup is 4 springs for down trem action only.

Gorgeous keeper there, I’ve had hands on a couple EJ’s, you got a winner!!!! Big leagues!

:)

awasson likes this.
  12. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    That's what a strat is supposed to look like! (even though they're not for me :D )

Signature models are usually more miss than hit for me, but the EJ strat is so nicely appointed. I mean, it's a real standard, right? I especially like the lack of a backplate and screw holes, that's a cool touch.

awasson likes this.
  13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Fantastic!
    I sure like my 2008 sunburst EJ.
    I think they are the best “production” model Strats available.

awasson likes this.
  14. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Thanks guys. Yeah, this guitar is just a dream to play. I thought I really had my CP60’s and my black Strat well sorted out but there’s no comparison.... This Eric Johnson Strat is just so refined.

It’s really weird that it has improved my picking and fretting speed and accuracy. I’m not even sure how that is possible and it’s not a night and day difference but it’s noticeable. There are a few kind of hard things I practice daily so I know where I have trouble and in a couple of cases I just played right through those trouble spots and didn’t skip a beat or miss a note. That’s worth the price of admission right there.

The neck sure has a lot of flame. I didn’t notice it until today under natural light. It doesn’t photograph very well but wow! It sure looks good in person.

Zepfan likes this.
  15. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    When I first saw your thread title, I was thinking EJ's latest, the thinline. But aren't the pickups in the newest EJ signature the same ones in his previous incarnations? If so, I guess what Gregor Hilden is playing here is like your guitar...

Zepfan and awasson like this.
  16. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2017
    USA
    Congrats! I have one too, a Rosewood fretboard one, and I love it.

awasson likes this.
  17. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Wowie zowie, that's a beauty!!

awasson likes this.
  18. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yes those should be the same pickups as the ones in mine and the tones I’m hearing are in the same wheelhouse. That guy is great!

Thanks for posting the videos. I really like the way he uses the #4 position to clean up and the switches to #3 or #5 to push the amp into breakup in the 1st video. The #4 position isn’t crazy quacky so it worked really well for that.

LGOberean likes this.
  19. Twang Guitars

Twang Guitars Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2010
    Grand Rapids, MI
    EJ Strats are Awesome guitars, picked one up this year too. Definitely a keeper! Thats why we dont see many on the used market. Heres mine with it GE Smith cousin.
    Enjoy yours. IMG_1701.jpg

awasson and brookdalebill like this.
  20. blues

blues Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2003
    Pa

Nice strat it looks great. Congrats.

I have a EJ as well. Mine has the rosewood board. Keeper for sure

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.