Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD: Epiphone '56 Les Paul Pro Ebony P-90s (or, I buy $300 guitars)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by theprofessor, Sep 5, 2017.

1. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    ^^^ Very nice rig, great score on the guitar!

Is it a fat 50s style neck?

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thanks! Yes, it's a fat 50's style neck. I like it!

3. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I guess the stopped calling the black one a gold top.
    Every one of these I've played has been very good to great.
    One was my #1 gigger for a few years.
    Congrats!

Peckhammer likes this.

4. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    I am a big fan of the fat neck myself!

5. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Update: the pickups are magnificent. I see no reason to replace these, ever. The 50's wiring allows for a lot of different sounds from those two pickups.

The Epiphone output jack worked, but it was not good quality. I replaced it with a Switchcraft. The toggle is working just fine for now, but I might eventually replace that with a Switchcraft, too.

I'm having a little bit of buzzing on a few frets, but only on the 3rd and 4th strings. I wonder if the tune-o-matic has a slight dip in it. The 3rd and 4th strings appear to be a little lower to me than the 2nd and 5th. I've got a Gotoh tune-o-matic and stop tailpiece on the way for an upgrade to see if that cures it.

Minimalist518 likes this.

6. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    This was my next victim before my health took a dive, I love the ones I've tried.
    AM had a unique color blue, Chicago Blue I think, that they had made a run just for them I really liked.
    Buying more guitars at this point seems senseless, doesn't mean I won't, but right now doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

7. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I'll see if I get a reply here before posting elsewhere: Does anyone know what value the pots are in these guitars? All they say is Made in Korea 2014. Thanks!

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Do you or a friend have a Volt/Ohm meter?

I like the looks of that guitar!

The two guitars that I play the most are a MIM '60's style Strat that I got used for $300 with the plastic still on the pickguard, and a G&L ASAT Tribute Deluxe Carvetop that cost $400 new including the set up my guitar tech did. We're living in a Golden Age!

9. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Very cool! Yes, I can measure resistance in ohms with my DMM. Where do I clip the leads onto the pots? And do they have to be disconnected?

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    No, just clip it to one of the end pins and one in the middle. Turn the pot up or down until you get the highest reading.

11. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thanks very much! I can do that!

12. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Well, I thought I could... On the tone pots I'm getting .539 mOhms and .502 mOhms. On the volume pots, I'm getting about 2.2 Ohms at the highest reading.

13. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ
    You need to put the selector switch on the pickup you want to measure.

boredguy6060 likes this.

14. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Well that makes sense! Thanks! (Duh!)

15. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I put a new Switchcraft output jack in, and I also put in a Switchcraft toggle switch. For others who are thinking of replacing an overseas (Epiphone) toggle switch with a Switchcraft one, it's really easy. Though others have mentioned needing to ream out the mounting hole a little bit for the Switchcraft to fit, I did not have to do that. It slid right in. The only difference between the two is the location of the output tabs and the ground lug.

The overseas (Epiphone) switch that came as OEM on my guitar looked like this. The two middle tabs are bent in together, as on the right.
    epiphone overseas les_paul_switch.png
    The lead wire was red, the output wire was white, and the rhythm wire was green. The bare wire was connected to the ground lug on the opposite side.

The Switchcraft toggle has the ground and the output in the opposite place. It looks like this (top one in this image), except I used a short switch, not a long one.
    1240_allswitches.jpg
    You take out the old switch, and then hook everything up just the same. Bridge is red. Neck is green. Only that the ground (bare wire) is between the neck and bridge and the output (white) is on the opposite side.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017

16. blackspider57

blackspider57 TDPRI Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    My (new to me) used 2014 Ebony 56 pro arrives tomorrow.(From Guitar Center)
    I too am in the $300.00 club ($310.00 shipped to my door)

Looking forward to this guitar. I got it primarily for the 50's c shaped neck, and the upgraded p90 pickups.
    (I could never quite bond with the slim taper D necks on so many Gibsons and Epiphones). I will return with pics and first impressions.

Epiphone says they are still making this guitar,
    but most places say discontinued.
    And the majority of the used ones I have seen are 2014 models,
    although I did see one gold top made in 2016.

Are your p90 covers and pickguard cream?

Curious about the weight as well.
    UPS says shipping weight is 12 pounds,
    my Strat shipping weight was 13.5.

By the way congratulations on your new (used) 56 :)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017

17. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

I used to have one and enjoyed it very much...always meant to put mini humbuckers in it...

18. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Congratulations on your incoming guitar, blackspider57! Very sweet! I think you'll enjoy it. Yes, the neck is tremendous. I love it. Some recent threads on the 60's tribute Les Paul with P-90's got me looking for a LP style, and I ended up with this one. Mine is a 2014. Yes, the P-90 covers and pickguard are cream. I don't know about the weight at all. It's not light, but it doesn't seem overly heavy, either. Honestly, i don't want to weigh my guitars just to give me something to be dissatisfied with. :) Let us see yours when it comes in!

19. blackspider57

blackspider57 TDPRI Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Well it arrived as scheduled on Wednesday,
    and nice surprise, at 10:30 in the morning
    rather than the normal late afternoon.

Been busy playing and getting to know this very interesting guitar. I will be back with pictures and a detailed review soon. P1000999.JPG

Quinn23 likes this.

20. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    one question , if you dont mind .....How come you put it down?:D:D
    its a beauty, congrats!

Minimalist518 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.