NGD - Epi Wildkat

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Mad Kiwi, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I noticed on Ebay a NOS Wildkat with only a day to go at $299.00 US. Having always wanted to try one I thought I might put a sneaky first bid on.

Low and behold, I was advised I had won the auction......oops.

They retail at $1199.00 here in NZ so a little bit of careful management and luck will be needed to get it here at a decent for used, landed price.

That aside, I am really looking forward to it arriving in about 3-4 weeks time.

In the meantime, to try and curb my impatience can some of you please describe your experiences with the EPi wildkat, good and bad...(mostly good though :) )

s-l1600.jpg

tintag27, faasie85, Mouth and 19 others like this.
  2. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Let us know when it arrives!

The pic looks great.

Peace - Deeve

3. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Looks very nice! :)

4. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

I tried one when I was looking a nice hollow/semi hollow with Bigsby... I A & B'ed the epi wildkat and the G5420T, and I chose the G5420T just because I like the twangy tone of the Gretsch better than the P90 growl at that time, and the Gretsch suited the genre I am playing more..

Quality is almost the same, with the Gretsch having a bit slightly higher quality in build and finish but I am speaking on the specific two guitars I was holding.. it might be different with other units.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  5. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Im fortunate enough to have a 6122 II Gretsch (as per avatar) that I love but am looking forward to the smaller approximate Les Paul shape and size along with the P90's.

Aiming for good upper fret acces and the P90 growl as you say.

Not sure if it'll be a keeper (particularly buying sight unseen from 3/4's the way round the world) but i'm ever optimistic :)

6. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

I remember a chapter in Prozac Nation called "The Accidental BJ" and this always reminds me of that. I never really understood the reasoning in the book, and I don't understand it with guitars either, the accidental purchase, although I've done it myself a few times. Both have happy endings I guess, but both also probably leave you thinking "wtf just happened!"

Sweet guitar though.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  7. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats. I've been looking at getting one of these myself.
    I've heard some good and bad from people that have had them. Most of the bad points were due to the metal covers on the pickups that was remedied by switching them out with the plastic covers, others have complained about the pickups being too hot/overwound and replaced them with original spec P90's.
    One person said that there was way too much wiring in them that caused some capacitance like you get with coily cords.
    Those are problems that can be overcome though and some of those problems can be about personal preference.
    One thing I would change for sure is switching the bridge to a rollor bridge or switch out the saddles to rollor saddles. Maybe use a Tusq nut on it if the original is plastic.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  8. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Presumably in this instance BJ doesn't refer to a Blues Junior.....in which case i'm not entirely against that accidental incident either :)

willie ray and Mr Scallywag like this.
  9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool, nice guitar!

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  10. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

I used to have one but I did not like it. Before I sold it I put on a roller bridge and a soft spring for the tremolo and theys were good improvements I think. But for me it sounded really dark. I did think about changing the wires and pots and find a way to put in humbuckers but I did not like the guitar anyway to be honest and did not want to use more time on it.

It was not for my preferences but I hope you will enjoy yours :)

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/ultimate-modded-epiphone-wildkat.801271/

http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/anyone-mod-a-epiphone-wildkat.15256/

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  11. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

I like mine. I’ve had it for a few years. I like to keep the pickup selector in the middle. Each pickup has its own volume control so use them to control how much of each pickup I want instead of simply having them on or off. Have fun with yours. I have a blast every time I plug mine in.

12. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    Several years ago I obtained a used one like yours. The bridge had already been changed to a roller version which made the bigsby work very well. For the price with this mod and a real Gretsch case I couldn't pass it up. But I did not like the sound as it was too dark for P90s in my mind. After doing loads or research I decided to try the 50s Gretsch wiring. In doing so I moved the pot location to a Gretsch configuration and removed a ton of excess wire. I don't know if it was the extra wire or the change to the tone pot wiring but it made a huge difference. It's still a little darker than my LP Special with P90s but I really like it now. I had thought about replacing the pickups but it's been fine after the change. I didn't spend any money or replace anything. My only issue now is that it's a little heavy but not as bad as my Les Paul. Yes it's chambered, not hollow. Love the headstock badge. YMMV :)

Here it is with the rest of my P90 family.

2016-04-24 15.34.51.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  13. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

Love mine, I feel like it has that rockabilly sound you think it has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

I've played them before, and at that price point, you've gotten alot of guitar for a small price. The added metal makes them feel pretty balanced, and the top looks more epiphone proper than epiphone copying something else.

I always admired the flamekat too, because it seemed to come stock with plenty of cheese.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  15. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

Rumor has it that the electronics are poorly wired with feet of extra wire, increasing noise and capacitance. Maybe a rewire, maybe new pickups and it should be outstanding.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  16. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Hngd!

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  17. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

It has crossed my mind to pick one up many times but have never got around to it. Cool model.

18. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

My Wildkat was made in China. Some were made in Korea. Something to consider?

19. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

Some love it, some hate it, stating that it sounds "muddy". Here's a link to a PDF where a guy identified a capacitance issue in the design, and streamlined the wiring loom from the factory 3.12 meters (10.24 feet :eek:) down to a slightly more reasonable 2.31 meters (7.5 feet).

This link might be buried in some of the other linked threads in previous responses, but it's worth highlighting.

I was in the muddy camp, but I loved the design of the Wildkat. I came across the article back when I thought about getting a Wildkat Studio (the stoptail, no Bigsby model) but decided against it due to the added work.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  20. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

GREAT Info thank you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.