Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD Epi Premium ES 175 at blow out price!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by GuildX700, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's

Sep 19, 2011
    Portland, Maine
    I'm no jazz player, but that beauty would inspire one to dig through the memory banks for some tasty progessions.
    Maybe ii V I.
    Dm7b5 G7(alt) Cm7 is a good one, just have to remember the fingering

jsp737 and JakeStone like this.

2. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Anyone compare these to the standard Gibson 175's? Not custom shop, just the regular version.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Look on the jazz guitar forum. One thing that stands out is that the Epi neck is not as chunky.

blille and backporchmusic like this.

4. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA
    All I can say is I had a mid 1980's ES 175 and I hated it, after 2 years of trying to convince myself I liked it I finally sold it to a guy who thought and still thinks it's a great guitar, but...... he never plays it, so....hmmmm.(that guy is my older brother).

The more I'm playing this thing the more I love it, A LOT. And I'm not very keen on most Epiphones, especially the new China ones.

I wonder who/where exactly this was made in Korea, Samick does not do Nitro, in fact I can't think of any nitro finished Korean guitars being made right now.

And it does not have the usual Korean scarf joint for the neck, the neck is all 1 piece, (except for a small heel piece grafted on) even the headstock does not have wings, all 1 piece.

I just wonder seeing that it has Gibson pickups and Gibson USA final QC sticker if Gibson sprayed the satin nitro as they do a lot of satin nitro.

Only ES 175 I every really was blown away with was a 1959 double humbucker one, and that was most likely due to the pickups, as the neck still was a turn off to me.

backporchmusic likes this.

5. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    I was wondering about the strings that come on them. The Epiphone website says D'Adario 10s. While my strings do have the multi-color ends of a D'Adario, then seem larger than 10s. AND they have a wound G string...anyone else? Did anyone get a wound G or not a wound G?

6. blille

blille Tele-Holic

I LOVE the neck.

These are built in the Unsung plant.

I didn't. Mine came with a D'Addario EXL-110 set (10-46). They didn't last a day :) not that there's anything wrong with that set, I just think this guitar wants flatwounds.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016

7. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    That makes me wonder if mine was restrung before I got it. It was otherwise completely clean looking--no little brushy scratch marks on the plastic that covers the pickguard.

8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA
    Mine was factory new untouched and it had a wound G.

9. JakeStone

JakeStone Tele-Meister

Aug 25, 2014
    Charleston SC
    Yep... These Epi ES-175 premiums are Great players and sound excellent. My Sunburst is a 2014, received it factory sealed in the Epi box. Built in Unsung Korea plant according to the serial #.

I just did the first string change.. Mine originally came with wound 3rd string and they were not D'Addarios. Because the ball ends were not colored.. They were silver. Also they were thicker than 10's. Because I threw on a set of D'Addario 10-42 XL110.

10. blille

blille Tele-Holic

In the Epi description page http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Archtop/ES-175-Premium.aspx

They list the strings as being D’Addario 10, 13, 17, 26, 36, 46

Afaik that corresponds with the classic EXL-110. They do have the same set with a wound third, EXL-110w but it's 18, not 17.

I'm not aware of any D'Addario 10-42 set, that would be top heavy which is unusual, they usually would do 9-42 or bottom heavy 9-46.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bulk strings don't have a colored end.

11. JakeStone

JakeStone Tele-Meister

Aug 25, 2014
    Charleston SC
    I stand corrected .. I put on EXL110 .. 10-46

blille likes this.

12. jsp737

jsp737 Tele-Meister

May 25, 2016
    Hood River, OR
    NGD has arrived!
    The ever so slightly used Wine Red ES - 175 Premium arrived unmolested out of a U-Haul truck driven by a UPS contractor. I guess this is a busy time of year;)
    Anyway, thank you to all you guys who inspired my GAS and turned me on to this deal that I was a little tardy for, because this, as you know, is a fantastic guitar.
    Buying used on the internet hasn't worked well for me this year. The last two guitars I bought sight unseen looked good in pictures, but had some serious issues once I received them, so they were returned. So I wasn't getting my hopes up on this guitar, especially as it was listed in "great" but not "excellent" condition by GC. The sales guy I talked to was great and sent me a bunch of pictures and could find only one tiny nick in the back of the headstock.
    Surprisingly there wasn't even the slightest damage on the box in shipping all the way across the country and it was well packed in the included Epiphone case. It even had a little foam in the case to keep it from banging around. The Epiphone case is really nice, btw, and just had one small scuff on it.
    I would echo all the other reviewers in this thread by saying how fantastic the pickup's are and nice the neck is. The action is low and the setup seems spot on. It came with what look like the original 10's with a wound G.
    I did a brief test on my Monoprice 5w and the clarity is amazing. It's also much quieter on that amp than any of my other guitars.
    So anyway, this was pretty close to the same price the GC deal was on the natural finish, when I include the price of the case, and I got the color I really wanted. I must say the Wine Red looks really stunning in the matte finish.
    The next thing on my agenda is to put some flats on it though I'm still trying to decide what gauge. Thinking I'll start with 12's?

[​IMG]

JakeStone and GuildX700 like this.

13. blille

blille Tele-Holic

You're very welcome :)

And congrats!

12s are a great place to start (and finish).

jsp737 likes this.

14. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Holic

May 2, 2008
    san diego
    Yea, you tell em. Some people just don't get capitalism. You did the work keeping an ear out, you hunted it down, you risked your capital on what you thought was the deal. Good for you. We still have room to sell at a discount and do ok. Right buddy?
    Wow, the nerve of some people.

Hey, now that we're buds and I got your back you think I can get one of those 175s at the special friend price?
    Whadayasay buuuuuudy ? :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    GuildX700 likes this.

15. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA
    Wonderful purchase, how do like the red satin finish? It buffs out very easily to a gloss, but be aware that will make the sanding marks left from the factory to been seen easier from the factory cutting the finish down stage of the finish.

IMO my blonde one looks amazing buffed out!

I buffed it out carefully. What case it that? How good is the fit and strength?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016

16. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    Nah, that question is out of bounds. If I were the seller, I'd smile and say my cost was less than the selling price and leave it at that.

As a buyer, I would feel entitled to insist on some proof of legal ownership. Where did they come from.

17. jsp737

jsp737 Tele-Meister

May 25, 2016
    Hood River, OR
    I actually really like the satin finish in this color, so I plan to leave it as is.

The case is from Epiphone and seems pretty high quality. The fit is snug, but it closes without any pressure on the guitar.
    JP

18. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Actually I think we'd be surprised how thin many are, especially in typical retail:

"Some retail subsectors, such as high-end clothing and personal care retailers, can have famously high gross profit margins, but net margins for the industry are low compared to other sectors. Each year, the S&P 500 releases industry specific returns on equity and net margins, and each year the retail industry is among the least profitable. This is especially true for web-only retailers, which often see net margins as low as 2.50 to 3.50%."

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/071615/what-profit-margin-usual-company-retail-sector.asp

19. JakeStone

JakeStone Tele-Meister

Aug 25, 2014
    Charleston SC
    WOW ! Congrats to you on your Wine Red ES-175. I think you have a winner!

These are just fantastic guitars. I am very glad I got one too ... This is my first hollowbody electric. Even though I am not a Jazz player. The guitar kicks azz as a blues/rock guitar. The 57s really growl. I use a clean boost pedal and it really fires up the pickups and get's some sweet tone out of them at moderate home volume levels.

Here's a shot of my Vintage Sunburst model. BTW, it cleans up quite nicely with some Gibson Pump polish (bottle with orange label).

Enjoy!

[​IMG]

jsp737 likes this.

20. JakeStone

JakeStone Tele-Meister

Aug 25, 2014
    Charleston SC
    Removed the pickguard from mine... I doubt I'd scratch the body from playing.. Since the strings on this model are so far away from the body. Plus I like how it looks!

blille likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.