Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD Epi Premium ES 175 at blow out price!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by GuildX700, Nov 20, 2016.

1. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA
    Someone brought it to my attention that Guitar Center online was blowing out the Natural finish Epiphone Premium ES 175 brand new for $439 w/free shipping. I couldn't believe it. I went to their web site and they were $999. He insisted they were $439, so I checked a few more times in the next day and sure enough it finally popped up as $439. I grabbed one at that price.

Now mind you these have Gibson USA 57 Classic pickups, nitro finish and a list of $1660, street of $839-$999. $439 for a brand new, non blem one is beyond silly cheap. I got confirmation it will arrive early in the week.

Looking around the net a lot $439 is cheaper than used or blems, a few hundred cheaper. I was thinking of buying a few more to flip, sure enough back to $999, grrr.

After checking several times they again were $439, as soon as I checked my finances and decided to buy 4 to flip sure enough they are back to $999. Not sure what is/was up with the natural finish but it looks like now the vintage sunburst are down to $649, which is not low enough for flipping and the sunburst has a crappy flat black sides and back finish anyhow, natural are way more popular and easy to flip IMO.

Can't wait for it to arrive, and I have a spare HSC that will fit it perfectly.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone/ES-175-Premium-Hollowbody-Electric-Guitar.gc

2. Stingfan73

Stingfan73 Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2012
    The East Coast
    Ummm.... I've never quite understood why people make an effort to "flip" guitars but pricing the privately sold as-new item essentially same as what a potential buyer could get in store, minus all the benefits that could accrue from that in store purchase method. Comparing the two, forget even savvy consumerism. It doesn't even make basic common sense to buy "new" (at "new" price) from a private buyer instead of essentially the same price for the same product from a regular store.

I see people selling purportedly "brand new" stuff independently on CL all the time at basically store/market "brand new" prices. And those items sit and sit and sit on CL. Due to the internet and forums and research capabilities at fingertips, gone are the days when a consumer can't within reason figure out what the market price of an item is. But who knows, you might get lucky, and be able to unload those guitars at as-new market prices...

3. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2005
    California
    You got an amazing deal. Natural is by far the nicest finish.

GuildX700 likes this.

4. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    So you're informing us that someone informed you, and you are marking up guitars...I dunno, I don't think marketing is your thing..

chugachjed and ecosse like this.

5. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA
    If one can obtain something at an unusually low price that the bulk of other potential buyers missed, it's not unusual or a stretch to then sell at an attractive price to those potential buyers and still make a reasonable profit at the same time. In my case the current new price across the net is $839 to $999. At my $439 buy in that leaves plenty of $$$ on the table.

6. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA
    Go see how low of price you can get on a new natural finish one, or a mint condition used one. It will not be anywhere near $439. That $439 was a very unusual price blurb that came and went on and off in a matter of 2 days.

7. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Waubeka Wisconsin
    I bought a bunch of new RZ350 taillight assemblies at a really low price, sold a bunch and bought Telecaster parts with the profit.... ;)

Paul G. and GuildX700 like this.

8. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

9. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    How a good thread goes bad.

Missed it by a mile...and I'll guess you've never flipped a thing.

By my reckoning (and I've got 1,000+ on eBay and quite a lot on Reverb - 90% of which is gear flips) the OP would have made $600+ without batting an eye - probably more.

Google "Black Friday" flips - it's basically an entire industry.

You probably thought that was funny. Lol. :D

11. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    I wish I'd known earlier. I'd have bought one. Current discount is $839 for sunburst. Can't swing that.

12. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Great deal. Weird thread...?

Flipping is flipping. Since when is that a bad thing, especially when one comes out ahead?

Nice 175!

teletubby25 and GuildX700 like this.

13. Treeface

Treeface Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    In the swamp. . .
    One imagines that if they were really selling these guitars for $839 they wouldn't have discounted them by $400. More likely they were collecting dust on the rack with that $839 price tag.

But then OP might find someone who will take it at $550 and still end up with a nice profit.

Artemio_Cruz likes this.

14. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Slightly.

15. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2012
    Nelson City TX
    Hey, stop before somebody puts together a cable TV show called "Guitar Flippers"...

Artemio_Cruz and BorderRadio like this.

16. Stingfan73

Stingfan73 Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2012
    The East Coast
    I ask of all you people who purportedly flip guitars, when a potential customer, as I would, ask how much you as a presumed independent seller yourself paid for the guitar you are now offering to sell to me for $999, what is your response? And if you claim it's "not your business" or lie about (i.e. Overstate) what you paid for the guitar, yourself, where does the concept of honesty fit into such transactions?

I think these are fair questions to consider and to ask, at least rhetorically, if no decent, full response is given.

Ps- for those that do the honorable thing, and fully disclose all information, thanks.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    TMMC likes this.

17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brilliant. Imagine a crack pot team of flippers traveling across the country in a BMW van, hot on the trail for mislabeled CV "Squires" sold as Affinities...that crusty Vox Pathfinder 15R at 50 bucks? Fools! That partscaster with boutique parts--the pickups alone are worth it!

Throw in competing teams---watch as they trash-talk each other--The Gambler, The High Roller, The Cargo Pants father and son team...think of the ratings! All this neatly packaged on the History channel, yeah that's it, history...

Ok, too much coffee /rambling

nomadh likes this.

18. backporchmusic

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    I don't purportedly flip--I flip.

I sold a guitar yesterday for $350. I bought it for $100. I cleaned it up and set it up well, restrung it. Current market value on it is in the $500 range.

It's this simple. I am under no obligation to pass along a deal I get to another person. I'm also under no obligation to provide my cost information to a buyer of anything I am selling.

My question is this--what sort of person would ask that question, then feel that by asking they have made a moral agreement with the seller to provide accurate information as an answer? Seems invasive and somewhat arrogant; ie, not quite proper moral behavior.

To pretend that it's immoral or unethical on my part to decline to provide that info is to misunderstand free markets. And also to place an unfair burden on me as a buyer or seller. Do you ask and expect an answer from Guitar Center about their product cost before you commit to buy? Your logic is faulty.

19. backporchmusic

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    Also, flipping is like fishing--lots of time doing nothing, keeping an eye out for deals. Then being ready to buy when they do hit. It's not evil. It's a free market pursuit, that's all.

GuildX700 likes this.

20. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Damn good deal at $439. The downside to flipping them is that the 175 isn't one of the most sought after guitars and patience will be required. Now if you can park yourself outside of a Pat Metheny show you might dump 'em quick.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.