Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD Disappointment and what to do about it...

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by StachePower, Aug 10, 2018.

1. StachePower

StachePower TDPRI Member

Jun 19, 2013
    San Diego
    Well this isn't how this post was supposed go to today... I was gonna post my New Used VM 60's Thinline in Shoreline Gold and talk about a pickup swap and maybe a bridge/tuner upgrade. I've been jonesing for a new (to me) tele for awhile to put next to my CV 50s. Found a "deal" on GC.com and ordered it to be delivered to my Local GC.

48hrs later I was at the guitar counter giddy with excitement thinking that I had spent the best $229 (plus shipping and tax) of my life when the sales guy pulled it out of the box and I saw the butchery. I could tell from the pictures that someone had done a home install on a Dual coil but couldn't see the hole they had gouged in the top. I had expected to need a new bridge and pickups (Fender vintage w/ toneriders was the plan) and maybe tuners (CV vintage style) but Holy Hell that hole. Not to mention the GC that had shipped the thing hadn't even replace the strings so it had only 5 strings.

Well, crushed disappointment and sadness are the flavor of the day. The sales guy at my local offered to start the return and that was what I was gonna do but then, as I thought about it, I said, "Nah, I'll keep it. I've got 45 days, right?" He confirmed that and then said, "Lemme see if I can give you a set of strings at least. They shouldn't have sent it like that."

So here I sit, crest fallen, with a scarred VM Shoreline Gold Thinline 60s, a new pack of Slinky 10s, asking my friends on TDPRI what I should do. Keep it, mod it, and call it good or take it back and cut my losses?

Having trouble with Pics. I'll add after I stop crying.

IMG_0101.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018

2. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    Take it back. You'll never come to terms with that hole.

3. ponce

ponce Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2011
    Croatia
    Yeah, that is unfortunate. It's repairable but includes refinish. It could be a guitar with a story, if it's otherwise a good instrument (neck, soundwise, etc.)

4. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I really like HS-guitars, but that.... I'd send it back.

5. Cantbreak100guy

Cantbreak100guy TDPRI Member

May 20, 2018
    Minnesota
    I think I would return it. That hole is unsightly. How much money is lost by returning it? Or I might try to get some store credit. If the GC website didn't mention it, they might work with you. I wish you the best!

6. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Meister

Apr 3, 2018
    victor,ny
    Man, that's such a bummer. Don't let it keep you down for too long .play it for a few days and see if she grows on you, if not....send her down the road.

7. StachePower

StachePower TDPRI Member

Jun 19, 2013
    San Diego
    That's what I thought too. Take it back. Lose $20 or so in shipping charges. Chalk it up to experience. That's life.

8. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska

9. Antmax

Antmax TDPRI Member

Jun 14, 2018
    Sacramento
    It's pretty if you ignore the oversize hole. But it's also a Squier which means that any residual value it has is gone and close look is an eyesore. I wouldn't live with that and return it. You will be disappointed now, and even more if you decide to sell it later.

10. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Meister

Jun 14, 2017
    The backyard
    Yikes....:eek: Take that thing back.

11. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

That looks like the same factory that made the one I got in a grocery bag of parts. A sordid history but the gouging here was outside the bridge area. The silver orange-peal rattle-can makes it look better here than it did in real life.

[​IMG]

Electronics that were in the bag (you might check under the hood of yours, could be scary!), Look at those solder blobs! A half inch pile of solder and cut wire ends.
    [​IMG]

Here's what I did with it, 4-way switch to get a humbucker; probably put three barrel saddles on it at some point.
    [​IMG]

So you might have a project there!

But I think the GC price is too high to make it a project and best to send it back.

12. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky

13. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    It's like marring what you believed to be a virgin, only to find out she has 18 kids. But... You may actually love her.

P Thought likes this.

14. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    Talk about redemption! What great work there, jvin248!

15. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    Yeah, check under the hood. But no harm in stringing it up and giving it a fair-eared try out. It might be so good to play that it would be worth living with the gouge and fixing it down the road.

16. StachePower

StachePower TDPRI Member

Jun 19, 2013
    San Diego
    It's back in the hands of the GC employee that unboxed it with me. I even took the strings back. Since I didn't keep the guitar, didn't seem right to keep the strings. Now to find one in good shape for a reasonable price. People seem to forget it's still a Squier.

70Falcon, Piggy Stu, Mike SS and 2 others like this.

17. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Holic

Dec 19, 2017
    Chattanooga
    Aw hell no! I can deal with a lot, but not a hole. You can’t fix that unless you have serious skills and paint.

18. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Oh, that's horrible on every level. That's not simply like butt crack:

That's Jackie Gleason at his fattest butt crack.

Return, or $100 back.

19. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Oh. I posted without reading that you returned it.

You did the right thing.

But why the f*** GC would take this in on a trade/sale from someone is beyond me.

20. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2008
    Texas
    I've, in the past, found guitars that had suffered dismal craftsmanship on the assembly line, or disastrous modifications by a clumsy oaf previous owner ... but the neck was so good, and the sound so pure, I ignored the appearance. This doesn't seem to have been the case for you on this deal. Too bad.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.