Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD CVC

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by BigD, Jul 5, 2017.

1. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Feb 20, 2009
    Arkansas
    IMG_6402.JPG IMG_6401.JPG IMG_6396.JPG
    I haven't really got to play it much because I have my Grandson today but first impression is that it took me a minute to get the E and A string to tune. Maybe it was just me. Also so far not that impressed with the pickups compared to '58 AV and '51 Nocasters in a build I have. I was just playing through a Fender GDec30 on a rock blues position and a rock metal position and the pickups didn't have the bite of the Nocasters or the thickness of the '58's. I did try it on a Acoustic Jumbo setting and that's where it really shined.
    I like the neck and playability of the guitar quite a bit.
    Super nice setup and finish on the guitar.

Excellent shipping and packaging from Sweetwater.
    IMG_6393.JPG IMG_6394.JPG IMG_6395.JPG

I know I'm going to love it.

txflood, Bruxist, irie and 4 others like this.

2. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    That's a beauty. I call dibs on the Tootsie Rolls!

BigD likes this.

3. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Tele-Afflicted

Congrats they are super guitars.

4. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    '
    I'd be willing to bet that it had cheapass strings installed.

I've learned not to compare guitars apples-to-apples.

I have three Teles that have their own unique sound and just when I think that one sounds great I grab another one and love what it does as well...

Enjoy!

'

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    BigD likes this.

5. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    They are nice guitars. The neck profile shape is not for me, but all I did to make the guitar sound good was swap the bridge pup for a cheap one I bought here. I fiddled every way imaginable with the bridge pup and it just sounded lifeless to my ears. No problem with the neck pup but I like many Tele neck pups.

I may put a different neck on it just to give it more play time. Have fun; they're a great deal & I play an AV62 Custom.

BigD likes this.

6. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Feb 20, 2009
    Arkansas
    Grandson has been double fistful of the taffy.

68Telebass likes this.

7. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    Awesome! Congrats. I'm well covered by my guitar collection and have no need for a new guitar, but I'd be lying if that cv doesn't tempt me every time. Color, binding, tint, awesome.

BigD likes this.

8. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Feb 20, 2009
    Arkansas
    I may put the Nocasters in the CVC and put the old pickups back in the other guitar and sell it . Not the CVC pickups.

Also the weight is really nice at 7 and 6 ounces.

9. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Congrats!

Sweet CVC, fun guitars no doubt. Big CV fan here.

BigD likes this.

10. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Love my CVC. It is going to become a little bit of a project guitar (I'm leaving my CV BSB bone stock). They are lookers!

Congrats. Enjoy!

11. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Feb 20, 2009
    Arkansas
    It is more impressive in person. I've always thought they were stunning.

12. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Feb 20, 2009
    Arkansas
    Yeah, new strings and put it through the '68 Princeton Custom Reverb and see how it shines.

13. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    The pickups are plain vanilla off the shelf Alnico Vs like Fender has used for years. They aren't lousy but they're also nothing special especially when compared to some of Fenders best CS pickups. But that's an easy fix. My 'burst CVC has a set of Keystones. Beautiful tone and inexpensive in comparison to anything else sounding that good. Few do.

But in all other ways CVCs are very nice guitars and also inexpensive in comparison to others they compete with. I don't know what to tell you about the strings other than to just restring when you get time. They could be old or the E and A simply needed tweaking after the rest were tuned to pitch. Most of my Tele behave that way.

Congrats on the new CVC. I own two and I love them.

BigD likes this.

14. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Feb 20, 2009
    Arkansas
    I will most likely put the Nocasters in after a good bit and sell the guitar they are in. That guitar is just an old kit Telecaster that I put upgrade parts in.

As far as tuning I've not heard of any problems with CV's much before. I'm sure it's just something that needs sorting out.

15. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

Well like I said it may just be the strings. I'm not certain just what you meant about it taking time to get the E and A nailed but is it seems with all of my Teles that when I finish tuning the high E and the neck tension has changed a bit I need to go back and tweak the E and the A. The E especially. It could simply a "Tele thing".

I have CS Nocasters in two of mine and love them. They're what brought me to using Keystones to begin with. They're slightly different with the Nocasters being a bit more mid prominent but they're still running down much the same road. Kissin' cousins to my ears. I'm sure they'll be a good fit too.

BigD likes this.

16. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    As long as I get the Bit-O-Honeys if there are any in there.

BigD likes this.

17. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Feb 20, 2009
    Arkansas
    One half eaten Bit O Honey. My Grandson tried it.

Nubs likes this.

18. Crobbins

Crobbins Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.

19. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Feb 20, 2009
    Arkansas
    Man this poly sure shine.

20. blackspider57

blackspider57 TDPRI Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    The CVC has been my temptation since it first came out.
    I owned a Fender MIJ custom back in the nineties
    and to my eyes these are some of the nicest looking guitars.
    Maybe someday ...........Maybe someday.
    Enjoy and play play play...............

BigD likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.