Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

NGD!! CV50s BSB Tele!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by IronSchef, Mar 7, 2017.

1. teleplayer66

teleplayer66 TDPRI Member

14893474129571572832915.jpg

I really like my CV BSB Tele, it's my main axe even though I have 10 other way more expensive guitars. I just bonded with it.

It has the stock pups but a Fender bridge, compensated saddles, a Rock-n-R guitars control plate loaded with a CRL switch, CTS pots, volume bleed circuit, Russian paper in oil .047 caps, switchcraft jack and a bone nut. Tuners are stock cause I like them.

Through my 68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb amp it's just pure Tele heaven

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    IronSchef and Route67 like this.
  2. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    You'll find its likely already routed for the humbucker. I know my CVC is.

robinsong and IronSchef like this.
  3. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Meister

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    congratulations....

teleplayer66 and IronSchef like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Aug 2, 2014
    Northern Arizona
    Looks great- can't beat the classic BSB tele.
    How heavy is it-
    Neck 'bucker. Yes-- see the "Keef" post-

6. teleplayer66

"Looks great- can't beat the classic BSB tele.
    How heavy is it-"

68Telebass............ it weighs exactly 7.2 lbs. I wish it was closer to 5.5 or 6 lbs but I love it no matter what.

IronSchef likes this.
  7. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    After installing the new bridge, controls, and HB - she is tipping the scale at 9.8 Lbs!!

Hard to imagine Pine can be so heavy, lol - I like 'em heavy though, so this totally rocks for me!

teleplayer66 likes this.
  8. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    My Vintage Blonde weighs about 8lbs 13oz. As it turns out, the guitars I've kept over the years (decades actually) that have sounded the best to me tend to be the heavier ones. Maybe coincidence, I don't know. But my CV 50's VB sounds and plays absolutely great. Like others have said, I've really bonded with mine, and prefer it to most of my much more expensive guitars. I play it at every gig. Enjoy and congrats!

teleplayer66, Route67 and IronSchef like this.
  9. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Man... those CVBSBs are sweet. Had one an early one, loved it.

Congrats!

10. teleplayer66

All you Tele owners... If your not all that proficient at soldering you might want to give Mike Riley at
    Rock"n R Guitars a shout. He makes up the best custom ( any way you want) control panel electronics that I have ever seen in 52 years of playing. He does all my work and every time it is 100% perfect. His prices are really affordable also.

406-431-6017 or montanarocknrguitars@fatcow.com

His turn around time is extremely fast.
    He doesn't know I am referring him but I felt I need to let all my other Tele players out there know that he is a great option if you need that kind of thing for your Tele or Strat.

IronSchef likes this.
  11. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    Sweetwater has two right now, one at 8 pounds and one at 8.3 pounds. ;)

12. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    Would it not have easier to just grab a Standard MIM Tele and swap in new p'ups?

teleplayer66 likes this.
  13. teleplayer66

FenderGuy53... With all due respect, I still have considerably less money invested in this CV Tele with all the upgrades than a MIM Tele stock So I had no reason to do that. In my experience after owning many USA and MIM Tele's over the years this particular CV Tele is the best one yet

MadRocker likes this.
  14. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    Good to hear, teleplayer66! Sure, I get what you're saying. I'm just playing devil's advocate to stimulate the conversation. I, too, really like the CV50's Tele's, from their retro look to their very nice pickup sets; in fact, I'm on the verge of buying one (the BSB version)!

All that said, I'm at the age where I would rather not have to tinker. If the control plate electronics work, then I see no reason to swap them out; however, if they're "accident waiting to happen", then I'd rather go used.

Thanks for listening...

teleplayer66 likes this.
  15. teleplayer66

FenderGuy53.... Let me clarify.... The controls that come in a CV BSB are full size pots that are very firm and good. The tone and volume controls works very well. The 3 way switch while being the imported one works just as well, positive click in each position.

Why change them out if they are this good ?

The ONLY reason I did this is because I use my volume and tone controls constantly creating volume swells and I am also constantly changing pickup positions so that is why I went to RockN-R Guitar ones that I personally know can take this type of constant use and abuse. The stock ones are fine for normal non abusive wear unlike the kind of abuse I give mine on a daily basis.

Let me also say the stock Tonerider vintage plus pickups are excellent. No reason at all to ever change them in my opinion.

I changed the bridge plate and saddles to compensated saddles to help make the intonation as accurate as possible and since the saddles came with the bridge plate I just swapped out the whole assembly at one time when changing strings.

So at the end of the day you can count on the CV BSB to be excellent right out of the box with the minor exception of setting up the action and neck relief possibly to your particular liking as one would have to do with about any new guitar no matter who made it or what it cost.

16. RevBillyG

RevBillyG TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Texas
    Electronics are so cheap... & we're not talking about a lot of current... I mean I'll put the electronics in my wife's hair dryer against the electronics of the finest crafted guitars any day.

17. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    Great to hear, and very reassuring, teleplayer66! Thanks.

I agree 1000%! I had a set of the Vintage Plus and Hot Classics in two MIM Standard Tele's and I loved those pickups.

This is great news, too, teleplayer66! I can handle routine setups with no problem. I purchased the needed tools over the years, and as you say, setups are a must for any new incoming Tele's.

Sweetwater has some new CV50's (BSB) coming in and I'm just waiting for the right one - for me!

Thanks for the encouragement. Very much appreciated.

I'm going to check out Rock 'n R Guitar Works, too. They seem to be one of those Mom & Pop shops that do things the old-fashioned way - and have the parts you need!

Thanks, again.

18. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    True. But a hot solder gun and molten solder around my babies makes me nervous. :eek:

19. RevBillyG

RevBillyG TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Texas
    No, no, no... I'm on your side. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't get this whole "cheap electronics" thing. They're all cheap. Especially when bought in bulk.

If you're changing to specific values, adding treble bleeds, or redesigning the circuit altogether, I understand. But if you're changing one tapered pot for another brand... I just don't get it.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  20. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    From your lips to the guitar god's ears!

21. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    That is a beautiful guitar!

Fedex brought me one too a couple of weeks ago. I would like a single coil sized rail humbucker on the bridge some day.

IronSchef likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.