Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

NGD - Crook Custom T-Style

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by squirrel211, Feb 14, 2017.

1. squirrel211

squirrel211 TDPRI Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Easton, MD
    Greetings! I figured this is as good a place as any to share my NGD!!!

Back story: My wife and I were expecting a baby girl in June 2015, but my wife had complications and her water broke at week 20. That's about 2 weeks shy of a baby being even remotely able to survive outside of the womb, and all we could do was hold her until she passed. I don't remember much from January until June... In the summer I decided that I was going to have her footprints made into a custom built axe, so I could have her with me in spirit, when I was doing the thing that I love to do most in this world; play music with my band.

Initially I went to get a PRS Private Stock made; I had been playing a Custom 24 for a couple of years as my number, and I live about 25 minutes away from the factory in MD. I was referred to Chuck Levins/Washington Music, because you can't order directly from the factory, but the gentleman who "helped" me was pretty arrogant and dismissive, so I parked the idea.

Then in October, I played a country/americana show for a fundraiser, and started getting into country music again, specifically Brad Paisley albums. That got my wheels turning in the Tele direction! Then I stumbled upon a video of Jimmy Herring playing a tele with his Jimmy Herring Band, and that sealed the deal!

The Build: I had been a fan of Brad's Crook paisley teles in the past, and I looked around Mr Bill's website a bit, and decided to make the call. He was so personable and nice on the phone, I decided to pull the trigger right there on the phone. This guitar was so important to me, it was great to feel like it was also important to the builder! We came up with specs, I paid the down payment, and promptly started changing things.... He was always patient with me, and never made me feel as though I were being a bother, even though I'm sure I was!!! He told me awesome stories about his time as a sound engineer, and we talked about amps, and his experiences in the industry; I damn near invited him to Thanksgiving! He was that awesome to me!

The most important part of the guitar for me, was the footprints. Mr Bill sourced many avenues of getting the footprints on the guitar, which took a lot of time out his busy schedule, I'm sure. Ultimately I wasn't able to come up with a good answer either, so I researched gilding, bought some supplies and started practicing. I asked Mr Bill if I could do it myself, and he fully supported the idea! He sent me the prepped-for-clear body, I did my thing, and sent it back.

A few weeks later, here we are!!!! It plays amazingly, and it sounds fantastic too!!!! I love it so much, and I don't know there will ever be anything I can do to show Mr Bill how thankful I am!!!

Attached Files:

horax, NilsZippo, gtrwrks and 16 others like this.
  2. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

Jan 5, 2011
    Poland
    This is a moving story and a unique guitar. All the best!

squirrel211 likes this.
  3. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Inspiring story. Beautiful body!

squirrel211 likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    Good to see you get your direction and passion for life after the miscarriage. But don't forget your wife!! I'm sure the miscarriage was just as traumatic. Please, do something for her psyche as well.

That guitar is so baddass! Looks like something to eat...Delicious!

squirrel211 likes this.
  6. Nevada_Bob

Nevada_Bob TDPRI Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Pac NW
    Thanks for sharing both the story and cool guitar.

Give your wife a hug..

All the best to you both, bro!

squirrel211 likes this.
  7. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2013
    Essex UK
    Wow! Just WOW!

squirrel211 likes this.
  8. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Holic

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    Great story and a beautiful guitar!

squirrel211 likes this.
  9. squirrel211

squirrel211 TDPRI Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Easton, MD
    Thanks everybody! I've been playing this thing every minute I have free, including my lunch breaks.

It sounds so great! I play it through my Tone King Comet, and set the Rhythm channel to be slightly overdriven with the bridge pickup (Florance Nocaster) on full, and I get great dynamics with it. The neck pickup is a Florance '59, it has a little more compression and girth, in comparison, which sounds great for solos! The tone control pulls to change the '59 from series to parallel, which is thinner and brighter; I use that for strumming stuff because it leaves a lot of sonic area for other instruments. The in between setting sounds amazing for the reggae songs that my band plays.

The Lead channel of the Comet sounds heavenly with the bridge pickup, when playing with a band.

With my Tone King Majesty/Royalist, it's just ridiculous. I've played so much that my fingers hurt!!!

I can't take a picture with my phone that looks anywhere close to the color saturation that the guitar has in person. There is an aqua color in the center of the paisley bodies, that just pops in real life, but doesn't seem to show up well in pictures... :(

10. TXNJ

TXNJ TDPRI Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Dallas
    That is a beautiful guitar and clearly one of a kind.

squirrel211 likes this.
  11. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Great story. Thanks for sharing that with us. Happy you were able to turn a tragic loss into a touching tribute..

squirrel211 likes this.
  12. esetter

esetter Tele-Afflicted

Sep 1, 2011
    MI
    Very moving story and a cool guitar!

squirrel211 likes this.
  13. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    That's great story and a beautiful guitar. Best of luck to you!

squirrel211 likes this.
  14. Bigpernz

Bigpernz Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2016
    Idaho
    Thanks for sharing your story with us and what a badass guitar! Welcome to the forum too!

squirrel211 likes this.
  15. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    Very sweet.

squirrel211 likes this.
  16. RifleSlinger

RifleSlinger TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Washington
    Speechless. Very moving.

squirrel211 likes this.
  17. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2015
    ca
    very cool

squirrel211 likes this.
  18. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    That sucker is the bees knees. Seeing it and the perfect tribute to your lost one made my day. I'm sorry for your loss yet happy you found this stunning tribute.

I'll go find out who has been cutting onions around here now.

squirrel211 likes this.
  19. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    Yes, very moving story. I admit being skeptical of the paisley guitar when you wrote about it, but wow, that thing looks fantastic.

squirrel211 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.