NGD: Classic Vibe Jazzmaster, but I think it is going back.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by etype, Apr 24, 2019.

1. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I have been thinking I want to spend some time with a tremolo-equipped guitar. So I ordered a Squier Classic Vibe Jazzmaster (7lbs.!). It arrived and I was so excited to plug it in. The neck has such a perfect shape for me. It's a C that measures 0.86" thick at the first fret with a nice shoulder) and 1.69" at the nut (1.73" at the first fret). I went to tune it up, and the A string had a weird harmonic echo going on (and the action is already just over 5/64" for the low E and the 12th fret). I suspect the shallow break angle over the saddles. Then I went to put a strap on it and the horn strap button pulled right out of its threading. The body is a thin 1.6" thick, so that is how these can keep from being 8.5-9 lbs.

I figured I'd play it for 2-3 months and then sell it if I didn't get on with it, but I think I am already falling out of love with it. Bummer because I usually fall hard for new acquisitions.

[​IMG]

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Congrats? On the bright side look at that tort! And the grain is pretty nice too, as well as the dark IL finger board. The real bummer is the strap button falling out. I’d send it back for that fact alone, that shouldn’t happen on any guitar, at any price.

The harmonic echo thing is normal for a Jazzmaster or Jaguar, or any archtop instrument with a tailpiece or Bigsby. Wolf tones, as it were. These Squier offset guitars need a neck shim, about 1 degree is optimal. This doesn’t get rid of the wolf tones, but it can help. You’re gonna want a Tele or something if you don’t like the complimentary noise—that’s the charm of these guitar ya’ know :)

I just got a CV Jaguar. I noticed the improved bridges are actually part of the problem. They have hollow cavities inside the saddle for the spring. Weird. I think that’s contributing to more than usual ‘ghosting’ harmonics than usual. I had high hopes for these offsets, but they aren’t quite living up to the CV status. That’s not fair though, because the original CV lineup wasn’t perfect either, and offsets have quirks that people like to trash on. Oh well...

etype likes this.
  3. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I think I could have lived with the harmonics, but the button issue just made me look more critically at the whole guitar. I bought a used PRS SE several years and the strap button pulled out (my son was learning to play and I think he was part of the problem with that one). I was able to drill it out, fill the hole with a dowel and redrill. I just wasn't feeling that this one was worth the effort.

4. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Meister

All you need is toothpicks and a bit of glue for the strap button, but it sounds like you're not that happy with it anyway.

5. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Agreed, regarding the fix, but it just wasn't my thing. Sent it back today. I may try to add a Bigsby (Vibromate?) to my pink partscaster.

[​IMG]

Keefsdad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.