Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD- Back in the club with a surf green Bullet

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by thesamhill, Sep 9, 2017.

1. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA area
    Had some cash from a gig last night, had a bit of cash from my previous gig. Why do I spend weekend nights playing these gigs, if not for the extra cash to buy random guitars? And I love surf green, man.

Haven't had a Tele for about 5 years. My last was a 1980s or 1990s (I think) MIM. You guys aren't kidding when you say that these new cheap guitars are a helluva lot nicer than the old cheap guitars. I like the satin neck that they do with these Squiers. I had an Affinity Strat and liked the feel of the neck but the nut was too narrow. It feels a little heavy too but haven't weighed it yet. Not sure I want to know. I play pretty heavy gauge strings on my electrics, but I think I'm gonna string this with 9s and maybe try to work on developing a lighter touch. Or just bend notes all over the place for a giggle.

I think the red sticker is what sold it. That little pop of color. Tho I might try to find another, slightly cooler red sticker to replace the "Free guitar lessons" red sticker that came on there. I found an interesting maroon patch from some point in one of my parent's military careers in an old box of letters, maybe I'll try to find a way to glue that on there somehow.

I'll update when I really get to sit and play it for a while, but so far it's good fun.

2017-09-09 14.15.05.jpg

brookdalebill and Straydogger like this.

2. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Birmingham, AL
    Congrats! I love mine, although it's being modded like crazy, because it was cheap, not because it needs it. These are awesome and the surf green is tasty!

thesamhill likes this.

3. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Sweet looking guitar there, have fun with it!

Squier used to make their early Squier Affinitys in this colour when they forst came out, and they had rosewood board necks too.

I had one like that a good few years ago.

[​IMG]

brookdalebill likes this.

4. blackspider57

blackspider57 TDPRI Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    I really like my Surf Green Bullet.
    But the weight is a bit of a surprise.
    Considering the thinner body, "It's Heavy"!
    I though basswood was light?
    Not this one.
    Maybe they made these from "leadwood"???:)
    IMG_7213.JPG

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

6. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Do you mean this blue one that turns slightly green after a few years?

Affinity Blue.JPG

7. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA area
    @Sollophonic I'm glad they went with rosewood on these. Darker maple would be OK- my buddy has a surf green Strat with roasted maple and I like that look. But really light maple fretboards are not for me, and I wouldn't want the whole neck to be the color of the headstock, it's really light.

@blackspider57 it is kind of weird. I can't say I usually notice guitar weight but this one struck me as slightly heavier than I was expecting. But in the scheme of things, it's not bad. Probably won't mount a big honkin' steel Bigsby on it, tho... :)

@brookdalebill Cheers! I love reading your posts, by the way. You are the king of the well-placed carriage return! And I am always appreciative of your perspective.

I'ts kind of funny- after looking at the pics of the other guitars with and without the red sticker still on it- I really think there's something about the red sticker on the pickguard that makes it look extra good to me! It's like a rose boutineer on a surf-green tux- classy but clearly ready to party, lol

8. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Mine is heavy too. Not a boat anchor but heavy. Plays and sounds great, looks cool....got mine for 3 pedals traded in and $50. Helluva deal, congrats!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.