Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD - at last! LPB AVRI 64

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by spenno, Sep 1, 2017.

1. spenno

spenno TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2009
    England
    I've been visiting this forum a couple of times a week for the best part of 18 months gauging opinions on a few models that have had me thinking. I wanted a decent USA Tele without going to custom shop and had narrowed it down to something from the American Vintage line or a Professional. During this time I tried out the AVRI 52, 58 and Pro a couple of times.

The one I was really curious about was the 64. There never seemed to be a convenient time to travel to try one out, but it seemed to get a lot of praise whenever I read up on it and especially nowhere more so than in these parts. I was going to have to sell a top guitar to raise the money, which makes things a bit fiddly when you spot the guitar you want on the second-hand market and risk losing out. Anyway, last night I picked up...

IMG_0496.JPG

... an AVRI 64 in Lake Placid Blue. This is probably the one I ideally wanted but assumed my chances of getting one were very slim. I'm not sure how many were made exactly and I've seen 2-3 pop up in the past year, but it never seemed to work out. Then I spotted one on a popular auction site about an hour's drive and thought I'd try my luck and propose a swap with my guitar. Very slim chance I know - but he went for it and we met at a service station half-way. He had two other Teles (his favourite being the Joe Strummer model) and preferred the slim necks on those.

IMG_0497.JPG

I was a nervous buying 'blind' considering the 64 was the one I hadn't ever seen in the flesh. I checked out the SN beforehand and knew it would need to begin V12 (its only year of manufacture I believe). Also it has the 'top hat' selector switch I knew this model came stock with. I've only played it acoustically for 15 minutes or so and have already noted how comfortable it is and how much easier every note rings out in all positions on the neck. 1st fret through to 12th fret are as comfortable as your favourite pair of socks. Hopefully I'll get to make some noise through my Blues Deluxe Reissue later today.

IMG_0498.JPG

I expected a few niggling marks in the finish and quite like the idea of this thing getting older and more seasoned over the years just like its owner :p , and it does have one or two teeny marks to the finish. The selector switch is quite loose - it actually came off when I slid the switch across. Guess that needs a spot of glue, or maybe tiny piece of card inserting in. Other than that the only thing I was a little concerned by was the circular jack plate, which is a bit loose with a few mm play. I'm concerned it will pull out completely some time when I unplug the guitar. What's the fix for that? Also with the finish, I see I have a nice new special cloth, along with a whole plethora of other 'candy' - top marks to Fender for that. I won't be using the strap or lead but they're nice touches. Other than straplocks I hope to keep it exactly stock. Regarding the finish, I've heard people say they've damaged it simply by wiping it - how vigorous can you be when cleaning a nitro finish?

IMG_0495.JPG

The guitar is light - not sure exactly how much but I'm pretty sure lighter than anything I've had. As for the case however, it's very heavy indeed. I actually stopped and looked down at in in case I'd somehow snagged something else along for the ride!

Anyway I look forward to giving her a good work out later - very pleased so far, and chuffed to be able to finally write my own NGD thread. Thanks to this community for all the threads and opinions that have certainly convinced me to get here!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017

2. Marcus M B

Marcus M B TDPRI Member

Aug 31, 2017
    London, England
    That's very tasty. I'll bet you never bought a guitar at a service station before. There's a certain rock n roll quality to doing so, especially if it was on the A1.

tonyj, oldfish and spenno like this.

3. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    There is nothing like a LPB tele .. Congrats!

shupe13 likes this.

4. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    Sweet looking guitar. Colour me jealous and happy for you.
    As to the jack socket, there is only one satisfactory route ( IMHO ), replace it with an Electrosocket. It's an approved mod :)

DrBoBo, BrandonIke and spenno like this.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Beautiful guitar, enjoy it!

6. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    spenno likes this.

7. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Love that color. Score!

8. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

Sweet! Congrats!

9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    Electrosocket jack,traditional tele input jacks are useless.

spenno likes this.

10. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Meister

May 23, 2005
    Glenview Illinois
    Sweet guitar !

11. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    It's a beauty! Terrific find, make some great music!

12. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Fantastic. Congrats!

13. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    LPB 64s are the cream of the crop.

Congrats, welcome to the club!

spenno likes this.

14. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

15. spenno

spenno TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2009
    England
    Thanks. Not seen those before. If it looks like a problem I'll book it in with my trusted guitar tech.

16. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Meister

Congratulations and play it in good health.

R

17. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    Very pretty...I wish they still made it in that color.Congratulations!!

18. spenno

spenno TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2009
    England
    Do I need a certain one? Is the 64 any different in how this would be installed? The Rutterscup looks nice, happy to get a decent one but if they're universal I guess any will do.

19. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    As far as I know, they're all universal with regard to the outer diameter of the cup. One thing to be aware of though is the thread size of the jack socket itself. Some of the Oriental replicas use metric threads.
    If you buy the complete cup+jack set, it's not an issue you'll run in to.
    I took the plate out of the body in mine ( a Classic Vibe, same fittings ) and ran the jack socket right up the threads so I can use a 90 Deg cable without issue.
    Shane did a good video which answered some questions I had before doing mine.

esetter, Clifton C and spenno like this.

20. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    I always do my deals at a diner or fast food joint. Kudos for having the stones for going with a gas station! Seriously, it's a gorgeous Tele and I hope it lives up to your expectations. What did you trade?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.