Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

NGD: American Standard Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by nosuch, Dec 10, 2016.

1. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    I've been lusting after a modern specs tele for some time and really liked the standard whenever I played one in a store. As I noticed they get phased out for the american professional series – which takes back some of the modern specs in fave of vintage features like an ashtray bridge – I thought I better get one in time and maybe save a little money. I may have bought one of the last 2tone sunburst in germany and got it for a nice discount. It arrived this morning and I am already convinced I like it. Great feeling neck, great pickups, nice wood – what's not to like?
    I love vintage specs like we all do but really wanted a workhorse guitar that's easy to tune, intonates perfect and balances well.

2. ElectricKaibutsu

ElectricKaibutsu TDPRI Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Philadelphia, PA
    HNGD! We need pics :).

fender68 likes this.

3. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    Beauty!

fender68 likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. faasie85

faasie85 TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2016
    Netherlands
    nice burst on beautiful grain

fender68 likes this.

6. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Nice! I love the 2-color burst over ash like that.

While I want to play one of the new one American Pros I'm also regretting I'm not in the position to pick up one of the last of the American Standards. I miss my old 2013 and wish I had kept it.

fender68 likes this.

7. Pete'67

Pete'67 TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Munich
    Would be my favorite one out of the "old" AM Std as well. Very nice ash grain. Congratulations!

fender68 likes this.

8. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Jan 1, 2014
    .UK

9. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Oct 28, 2009
    Galveston, TX
    Beautiful! Congrats on one fine guitar!

10. esetter

esetter Tele-Afflicted

Sep 1, 2011
    MI
    HNGD! I got one in Bordeaux Metallic a few weeks ago and am loving it!

fender68 likes this.

11. ElectricKaibutsu

ElectricKaibutsu TDPRI Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Philadelphia, PA
    Oops! I couldn't see the pics through the app. Beautiful Tele!

12. Crobbins

Crobbins Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.

13. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    It's great. I was pretty set in my ways that I need a big neck and at least .010s strings for a couple of years. But trying one in a store really opened my mind that I can play any kind of neck after a couple of seconds to adjust. And I am loving the skinny .009 strings. I think I will play at least one gig with it to see if I still like that light touch in a gig situation.

14. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    There is one thing I like to change: I would raise the neck angle with the micro tilt screw a bit to get the saddles a bit higher and hide the height adjustment screws.
    The manual doesn't describe the procedure to adjust the tilt. Can anybody help?
    I think I have to loosen the neck first. can I keep the sting tension to see how far I raise the angle?
    Is there any sonic disadvantage if I use that feature?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016

15. Jushden

Jushden Tele-Meister

Dec 31, 2013
    Orange
    Loosen the two screws closest to the bridge and use a hex key to adjust the microtilt. Don't turn the hex screw more than a half turn. That's the max imo to get the bridge screws in the right place. You can keep the strings at tension. Tighten the two neck screws back up and make sure you don't over tighten. I don't hear a negative effect and I feel my tele plays much better now actually. Nash guitars does the same thing to their teles.

Edited: wine.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    fender68 likes this.

16. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    Very pretty...congratulations!!

17. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    Thanks, that worked out great. I straightened the neck and readjusted intonation and pickup height while I was at it. It now plays even better while I would have no problems gigging it as it came from the factory ... It's great to have all the adjustments available without having to take of the neck or pickguard like I'd have to on my 52RI.
    I just wonder what the three other wrenches in the case would do. Maybe they are there for strats?

18. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Gorgeous Tele and glad to hear it's such a great player too.

19. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Congrats. I love the American Standard and I'm sorry to see them being replaced.
    The Am Std has been a great value for guitarists.
    If I had to do all over again, I would have kept my 1997 (or thereabouts) Vintage White Am Std Tele and saved myself a bunch of money.
    Enjoy.

20. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio

21. AndrewG

AndrewG Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    Very nice, and they're selling at good prices now too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.