Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD American Professional Telecaster Deluxe Limited Edition Silverburst

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ejphotos, Jan 11, 2019 at 10:51 AM.

1. ejphotos

ejphotos TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2016
    New Jersey
    Picked this up recently - it's a 2017 Limited Edition Telecaster Deluxe Shawbucker in Silverburst.
    These were spec'd with ebony fingerboards, however this particular board has me scratching my head. It feels like an ebony board, but looks like rosewood. I know there are some ebony boards that do look like rosewood...but this really looks like rosewood, lol.
    Already upgraded to Fender locking tuners, and I am acquiring all the parts for a 50's wiring upgrade - already have Emerson 500k pots, Emerson PIO .22 cap for bridge and .15 cap for neck.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 10:58 AM
  2. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    No permission for me to view album?

Fendereedo likes this.
  3. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    same thing.

4. ejphotos

ejphotos TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2016
    New Jersey
    Hmmm...how do I fix that lol?

Edit, figured it out lol

5. ejphotos

ejphotos TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2016
    New Jersey
    Oh, and I also put a black switchtip on it...flows better than the white one that came on it.

6. Ydwen Jones

Ydwen Jones TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Amsterdam
  7. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Nice!! I've been a fan of silverburst since I first saw a Les Paul Custom in that color back in 1979. Love it on the American Pro Tele Deluxe just as much as on the LPs.

8. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.
  9. ejphotos

ejphotos TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2016
    New Jersey
    Thanks all! I've been toying with the idea of putting a tort pickguard on it...not sure how it would look.

10. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Apr 24, 2017
    California USA
    It looks really pretty. I am digging all the different colors and variations of Telecasters. Congratulations on your beautiful new Telecaster.

Have you considered black enamel pickguard screws?

11. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    Beautiful color.

The fretboard may be Pau Ferro, which feels much like ebony and can also look quite like rosewood. For a time, Fender was offering Pau Ferro as a custom shop exotic fret board material.

I have a Fender Strat neck with a board that feels like ebony and looks like rosewood - it's Pau Ferro.

[​IMG]

LocoTex, ejphotos and wblynch like this.
  12. ejphotos

ejphotos TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2016
    New Jersey
    Thanks! No I haven't considered them actually. I'm thinking of trying out a tort guard so the regular screws may go better with that.

wblynch likes this.
  13. ejphotos

ejphotos TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2016
    New Jersey
    Thanks! Those are two nice ones too.
    It doesn't have the grain and pore pattern of pau ferro, and it does feel smoother than the pau ferro I've played lol....it really does feel like ebony. Maybe it's got an old school G and L thing going on lol.

14. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    The Silverburst limited run from 2017 did have ebony fingerboards - it was part of the "package" for them. Fender used the same streaked ebony that they use on the American Elites - I think it's macassar ebony.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  15. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    WOW... that really looks like rosewood or Pau Ferro to me. The open grain structure seen in your photos is very rosewood-looking. The reddish-tone is very Pau Ferro looking.

Ebony and Pau Ferro tend to have very tight (not open) grain structure - quite smooth. Here's my Pau Ferro board up close:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That said... ebony isn't all black. In the past, black was the only part of the tree that was commonly used for fret boards. The brown, reddish, streaked, and cream colored wood was usually trashed or used for other purposes. People generally wanted their ebony boards to be BLACK.

With ebony becoming more scarce, more of the lighter, more colored, and streaked wood is now being used for some fret boards.

Wood samples can and do vary quite a bit, and macassar ebony is often streaked and reddish, so yours may well be ebony. And, I suppose that some macassar ebony samples may have an open pore/grain structure as seen in your photos.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 9:42 PM
  16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Some say the Macassar Ebony is ebony in name only. This board looks great and may be the best thing about the guitar but it doesn't seem like ebony and people will probably push back.

DHart likes this.
  17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

DHart, your neck looks great. This is so much nicer than the average Pau Ferro we see on MIMs in the stores. Really no comparison.

DHart likes this.
  18. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    Thanks Boris... I've been wanting a pau ferro board for a while now, and keeping my eye out for one that looked good to me, so when I saw the looks of that one, I jumped on it. I have no doubt that pau ferro makes a great fretboard wood. I did have some hesitation because this one has a 12" radius, but I play a wide variety of guitars daily (including Gibsons), so I figured it would be just fine - and it is!

This is one of the reasons I buy my necks and bodies separately, and "roll my own", to cherry-pick each component. :)

ejphotos... whatever wood your fretboard is, it looks awesome!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 9:44 PM
  19. ejphotos

ejphotos TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2016
    New Jersey
    Thanks! Yeah I don't care what material it is...just curious to see what it actually is lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.