Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD! Am. Pro Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by DougM, Feb 8, 2018.

1. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Congrats on the new gear! CAR is one of my favorites. Happy, happy.

Best of luck with your health issues as well.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.

2. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Meister

May 23, 2005
    Glenview Illinois
    Great setup. Enjot

3. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Great news! The scan results are for the most part positive. Two spots that we were worried about haven't changed, and a third one has vanished, so that's all good news. The only concern is a new 6mm spot that we have to keep an eye on to make sure it doesn't start growing. I'm so relieved!

emisilly and Nickadermis like this.

4. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Glad to hear the good results. That is something to celebrate. Keep up the good health and congratulations!

DougM likes this.

5. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Hey @DougM, now that you’ve had it for a while, how does the AM Pro neck feel compared to the CP 60’s neck and how do the pickups compare?

6. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    Excellent news!

awasson likes this.

7. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    That is fantastic Doug ! Keep up the good fight :)

8. DonM

DonM Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    Congrats; on the guitar and the health news. Love CAR.

9. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I hate to tell you this, but the difference is so great that I don't play any other Strat anymore. The Am. Pro plays and sounds so much better than the others that even the CP and Roadhouse seem like toys in comparison. I wouldn't even trade it for a custom shop model or something else as pricey like a Suhr. I think it's the finest Strat ever made. It plays so effortlessly and the pickups sound so perfect, I can't imagine how it could be improved in any way. Here's an example of how these remarkable pickups nail vintage tone while at the same time sounding somehow modern and hi-fi. Mine sounds more like the Sonic gray one he plays, because of the rosewood board having that more round woody tone than the glassier tone of the maple board one

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    emisilly and awasson like this.

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Now I have to apologize for doubting you in the Katana thread. :oops:

:)

11. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I’m not surprised. I haven’t tried one yet but the last time I talked guitars with the guy at the local guitar shop, he was suggesting I spend some time with the AM Pro Strat. He’s never steered me wrong yet. He said the neck is really nice, different than the AM Standards even.

And those new pickups have got me thinking too. They’re a mix of AlNiCo II, III & V I believe and the mix varies depending on the pickup position if I read it correctly. This goes along with my thinking too. Recently I was thinking that an AlNiCo II set would sound nicer than a straight AlNiCo V set because of the rounder midrange response I’ve noticed they exhibit.

Anyway, thanks for the review and I’m glad to hear it’s such a success. For me, I think my CP60’s will be safe for a while. I’m definitely going to try the AM Pro but I’m limiting myself to one Strat per year.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.