Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD - a Les Paul steal from GC!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by -Hawk-, Aug 6, 2017.

1. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I've been on the hunt for a Les Paul for a bit now, but budget was an issue unfortunately. I made a beer-induced call to Sweetwater on Friday, but thankfully they were closed.
    After that impulsive move, I decided to try a few options in my price range before doing anything else. It also had to be a Gibson and have the mahogany/maple combo.

Found myself at GC yesterday and tried three guitars:

2015 Studio - G Force and all
    2017 Faded T
    2017 Tribute T

The clear winner was the Tribute T. I'd hoped for the burst version, but they only had one and it was a Gold Top. I also tried a newer Studio to make sure I didn't regret not spending a little more money. We all have a mental idea of what a certain type of guitar should sound like and this thing nails that Les Paul sound for me. Just rips, with a real fat sound that complements my other guitars nicely. I love that the pickups weren't too hot. Action is a tad bit higher than my preference, but I'll remedy that soon. The neck is very smooth and all the fret ends are good. No dead spots or other setup issues I can see.

Anyway, the best part? $749 with a nice gig bag! Traded in a cheapo guitar and ended up paying around $550.

Here she is!

IMG_4410.JPG

IMG_4406.JPG

IMG_4408.JPG

IMG_4407.JPG

Dan R, Vespa_One, tomas83 and 27 others like this.

2. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Meister

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    Beautiful! Congratulations and welcome to the Les Paul Owner Society on TPDRI. :) I've got a '95 LP Studio in wine red hanging on my wall that I bought new at GC Houston as a teen in '95. Gotta have a Lester in your collection!

fenderchamp and -Hawk- like this.

3. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2016
    San Antonio
    Very nice. Congrats

-Hawk- likes this.

4. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Phoenix
    I have 3 Lester's, Congratulations gotta love them.

-Hawk- and savofenno like this.

5. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    I really love the 490s they put in the newest tributes. I had a 2013 tribute that I never bonded with, the 2017's are a clear step better than the one I had. and I much prefer the 490t/490R to the 490/498 that was in mine. Congrats, I love a good goldtop

-Hawk- likes this.

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Did you have any QC problems like the ones I've heard people complain about lately?:cool:

7. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Congrats, my friend!! Love the goldtop, simply classic.

Let's start an owner's club for these awesome Les Pauls. I'm in, just got a honeyburst about a month ago. I also traded some stuff (Sheraton II & Epi LP) and a few bucks. Could not be happier! First two weeks I honestly couldn't put her down. Would pick up for expected 5 minute plunk around and next thing you know, 2 hours have passed.

And those QC problems at Gibson? They were on their best 3/31/17. The guitar is immaculate minus a tiny ding on the top that no doubt happened while hanging and being played at GC for a few months.

-Hawk- likes this.

8. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I thought for a long time I was going 57 Classics or nothing, but I'm sort of tired of hot bridge pickups. The first studio I tried had the Classics and they were fine, but I much preferred the 490's. I've got a thing for Alnico II humbuckers, so the 490's are a good match.

9. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Dear god I was so paranoid at the store trying to find some glaring problem with this guitar. I had visions of the Internet dancing through my head. I'm surprised to say the nut is cut pretty well. No overt pinging even.

hrstrat57, tonyj and Zepfan like this.

10. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    Yeah I was really surprised by the 490 set. A good low output humbucker thats not harsh and not overly midrange like the 498. A very mellow sounding pickup. I'm still debating on dumping the burstbucker pro in my LP bridge, but it works so well in my band situation but lousy on its own. I'm a big fan of lower output Gibson humbuckers. And of gold tops. So you got a win win in my book.

11. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Tele-Afflicted

Congrats that is a great deal. Love gold tops.

-Hawk- and viccortes285 like this.

12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    That looks so nice! What a great deal. Congratulations!

-Hawk- likes this.

13. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2017
    NWNJ
    looks like you got a good one

I like the way the cap show against the body

and a great deal, too

ps- you are NOT helping my gas problem

pss-thank you!

-Hawk- likes this.

14. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2009
    Georgia
    Nice. Congratulations!

15. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    You can't go wrong with a goldtop, and I am one who loves bursts. I am impressed with the look and finish of it. I noticed the controls are very old school, with the labels and the pointers.

I have to say I agree with a thread here lately. It looks odd without the 'poker chip' or disc around the selector. I am so used to seeing that on a Lester. I suppose you could buy one and stick it on there if you wanted.

Thanks for the info about the pickups.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    -Hawk- likes this.

16. mfromb

mfromb TDPRI Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Congrats on the new LP! I have a 2012 gold top 50's trib (dark back, 490/498) that I'm fond of. Good to hear about the 490-set being a great match. I was wondering how those sounded in person. My stock LP sounded great to me, right out of the box, but...

I started giving thought to swapping the PU's... but then I ended up spending the money on a new amp. Kept thinking about a possible pickup upgrade... but I saved the money and later bought the Tele(s), instead. Gave it some more thought, got suckered by the Ibanez. I think there is a pattern of behavior and its possibly that 498 that's to blame. I should really get around to swapping in some Seth Lovers before I fall victim again. That's gotta be the root cause of my problem. It MUST be. :)

I do agree with the missing poker chip comment. I prefer that feature added to the look but it's a minor detail, to be sure. I've always loved gold tops and I wasn't initially sure how much I'd like the satin finish, but I ended up liking it quite a bit. Looks great. Congratulations on NGD!

-Hawk- likes this.

17. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I've thought about the chip a bit and will probably pick one up down the road on an evening after a few beers!

This is the first new guitar I've bought without a plan to swap pickups. Never say never of course, but it sounds like the LP I had in mind. I've been practicing quite a bit for an upcoming gig and having the bridge tone wide open with the neck tone dialed halfway back gives me three definitive tones to work with, all of which trip my trigger. We'll see how that works in the mix this Wednesday.

Seems to me that it was restrung at GC (it was the floor model), because the factory specs say it comes with 9's and the strings seem heavier than that to me. They have the colored ball ends like D'addario. I'm going to call and find out what they put on it, because I don't want to change a thing when I restring it, other than to drop the action a smidge.

I've never cared too much about this, but it seems very resonant. Very loud unplugged.

18. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    How's the satin holding up for you? I have assumed that it would take damage easier than a gloss finish.

19. blackspider57

blackspider57 TDPRI Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Always best to buy a new guitar absent the beer influence :)
    Beautiful guitar!!!

20. mfromb

mfromb TDPRI Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Boston, MA
    More than fine. Granted, I'm not out gigging pubs or anything, but it still looks great and doesn't show finger prints like a high-gloss finish, so... "there's that". :)

I do have some dings on the dark back (2012 had the dark back, prior year(s) and sometime later they were light I think). These came from using a tripod type of stand with (nitro-friendly) padding, but the padding didn't always sit flush and occasionally squirmed to the side. Between me and a couple of daughters picking it up and putting it down, the back picked up some minor scratch/dings in it before I caught what was happening and equipped the feet of the stand with sport socks. :) But the gold top is as nice as the day I unboxed it.

-Hawk- likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.