Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD. 50s classic lacquer

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Trike12, Oct 11, 2017 at 3:43 PM.

1. Trike12

Trike12 TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Hanover pa
    Ok so she came today and here is my thoughts. Its a very nice gutiar. Finish is excellent, neck is a friggin baseball bat, smells like nitro. I actually like the bridge pickup the neck pickup is for sure a little on the muddy side but in no way junk. Heres my BIG complaint. the G string is comming out of the nut on second fret bends. Also its trying to come out when bending down the neck. Im sure I can fix this but I feel like I shouldnt have to. Guys have any suggestions here? Other than the nut issue im very happy with this gutiar. She is a pretty thing no question.

teletimetx and BadMojo like this.

2. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    Who did you buy it from? See if they'll pay for a replacement nut. I'd try to get them to pay someone to install it for me/cut a new one as that's work that I haven't learned to do yet.

Then you may walk away with a guitar that's even better than what you got from the factory.

bottlenecker likes this.

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you like it, as in the weight, the feel, the vibe, the sound, then the nut is almost meaningless, in my opinion (at this price point). If you have something else bugging you about it in addition to the sloppy nut, then send it back and take a chance at another one. Remember, the second one might not click at all, or come with some bigger issue.

So if you decide to keep it, call the seller and attempt to come to an agreement. Either they pay for the repair or they cut you a small refund and you pay to have it fixed or fix it yourself. The best value is small refund/DIY, but if you don't have the tools and skills, the next best value is having them pay for the repair. I'm just guessing a 50 to 75 dollar refund no experience, but I've received larger ones for dings/chips.

4. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Take 5 seconds to deepen the G string slot and be on your way. You're welcome.

Crobbins and Trike12 like this.

5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oh, and Happy NGD too! Excellent choice..pics are usually required for this sorta thing..

6. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    Congrats! I have the poly version. Love it.

7. heffus

heffus Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2014
    cHICAGO
    I have 2 lacquers and love them both. Changed the saddles to brass and upgrade the pickups(Rumplestiltskin). It's cool if you dig the stock pickups, but I think these really benefit from an upgrade .

8. Trike12

Trike12 TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Hanover pa
    I gotta tell you guys that dislike these pups in this gutiar im just not hearing it. Like I said the neck position is nothing to write home about. The middle playing super clean is pretty quacktastic almost strat like. The bridge I feel is pretty darn good I totally get the twang I was looking for. I do have a seymore duncan broadcaster pickup laying around I may drop in idk. Im going to go play some more but idk just not sure it needs it. The stock pups are just far from being junk. The neck is VERY VERY sticky! These one might need a sanding. Is this stick pretty common with nitro finish?

9. Crobbins

Crobbins Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.

10. heffus

heffus Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2014
    cHICAGO
    I had the same sticky neck issue at first. It took about 3-4 months for it to really go away.

11. BadMojo

BadMojo Tele-Meister Vendor Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Maryland

12. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Jan 1, 2014
    .UK

13. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    that's usually why we like photos. Yeah, we've all seen this model before. what's your point? the standard is: "Pix or it didn't happen." You know the rules.

14. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Athens, GA
    The nut is covered by warranty at this stage of the game. A Fender dealer that services should be able to replace this nut. Most Fender techs will replace it with a bone nut. That would be a nice upgrade.

I have had an improperly cut nut on a new Fender twice. The local dealer replaced the nut with a new bone nut each time. Fender covered it under warranty.

You do not have to send it back to the selling dealer. Check with your closest Fender dealer or check with Fender to find the closest dealer that can do the repair.

Congrats on a really nice guitar!!

BorderRadio likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.