NGD - 2019 LP Jr Doublecut - Controversial pick guard content!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by -Hawk-, Sep 18, 2018.

1. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Definitely a good player! It took a setup really easily too. Seemed like of all my electrics, it was most affected by the winter. I just had to give the truss rod a turn though.

2. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Holic

Since this is the same guitar as the OP's, I'll just post here instead of starting a new thread.

Yesterday I had some free time so I decided to visit a couple of Long & McQuade stores. They're doing a Gibson Month promo this month so I thought it would be a good opportunity to check out some Gibson models. I wasn't planning to buy anything - I was just browsing. You already know where this story is going . . .

Because of Gibson's history of erratic QA, I prefer to try them out in person versus ordering online. I was primarily interested in getting another Les Paul but I was also curious about the 2019 Double-Cutaway Les Paul Junior Tribute because I've wanted to add a LP Junior to my collection.

I didn't find any Les Pauls I liked but the first store had several LP Juniors on the wall so I tried them all out. I wasn't expecting much given the low price but I was pleasantly surprised with how good they were. However, none of them really grabbed me so I went off to the second L&M store. That store had a Worn Brown model sitting in a floor display and when I picked it up and started playing it - BOOM! - fireworks. It was one of those guitars when as soon as you start playing it, you know it's a keeper.

I tried out all of the other LP Juniors they had in stock but kept coming back to the brown one. Needless to say, it came home with me.

It seems like Gibson is starting to turn things around because the guitar I bought is fantastic. The finish is flawless, the factory setup is excellent, and it plays like a dream. I thought it would be at least a two piece body but I can't find a seam anywhere - as far as I can tell mine has a one piece body. I'm a big P-90 fan and the pickup in this guitar delivers that delicious P-90 tone. I love the simplicity of the guitar - one pickup, one volume control, one tone control, and the rest is up to the player, just as it should be. Both the volume and tone controls are very usable and give a much wider range of sounds than I was expecting.

The only downside is that it comes with a mediocre gig bag but luckily I own an aftermarket case that fits it perfectly. I've already logged several hours playing it and I'm very happy with it so far.

Les Paul Junior Tribute.JPG

-Hawk- likes this.
  3. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Congrats Zen! Welcome to the club! Put your gauge of strings (highly suggest oiling the board, mine was dry as the Sahara) and ENJOY! Good call.

Mine looks to be 3 pieces but I could care less, couldn't put it down last night.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    ZenGuitarist likes this.
  4. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

PSA: Oxford Valley PA GC has a used brown one for $649....of course a week after I bought a new one

Zepfan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.