Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD 2015 American Special

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by pcasarona, Nov 7, 2017.

1. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    Not really, a better way to think of it is the HWY 1 and the American Special have the same necks.
    The body finish and pickups are different.

2. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Apr 15, 2005
    UK
    Don't get me wrong, jumbo frets are great for bending strings, but I enjoy playing up and down the neck very fast and I find jumbo frets act like speed bumps for my touch. Maybe if I had a lighter touch that would help, but every neck I've ever played with jumbo frets got put back on the shop wall. A 9.5" radius with medium jumbos is perfect for me.

3. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

Aug 7, 2016
    Champaign illinois
    Its funny about the fret thing- people are different I guess.... I think the american special is a tremendous guitar- and as I have said before if I ordered a custom shop tele- it would be this exact guitars features. Back to the frets-the other night I pulled a couple of vintage strats down and played for a hour or two. Obviously they have pretty narrow frets on them as well as decades of wear. Then I decided to play the am special tele- to compare necks as the carve is real similar to this pair of strats. What I noticed immediately was how the satin finish and rolled fretboard was the exact feel of the vintage- and the carve was close. After about ten minutes of playing I noticed how the jumbo frets made no impression or difference in my playing. And were not noticeable compared to the vintage style. Everyone is different in this respect I guess- but try before you buy will clear this up.

4. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2010
    Greenfield, IN

5. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    Auburn, AL
    Gotcha!

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.