Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD: 2008 Classic Player Jazzmaster

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Rayf_Brogan, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2017
    Washington
    For almost 25 years, I've always wanted a sunburst Jaguar but I keep chickening out because I'm just not a fan of those pickups. Somehow the idea of a Jazz Master never dawned on me until I heard one recently and decided to give it a try. Found one with a nice G&G case on eBay and timed it right with a 20% off coupon.

Man, this guitar is huge. My only experience with offset guitars were early 60's Jag & DuoSonics. I knew the Jazzmaster wasn't a shortscale, but I admit, I was caught off guard. Took me a solid week to get used to the thing. I could see how a vintage neck radius might help playing this things, but the modern 9.5" radius feels fine. While the pickups are not bad by any stretch, they sound very similar to a standard Strat (not a bad thing). I'll play 'em for a while and eventually switch to something a little more classic Jazzmastery.

I will say the Classic Players are solidly built. No problem setting the action & intonation. I'm not even getting any buzz at the saddle. While I think the traditional bridge and trem position looks cooler on the vintage JM's, there's no way I'd go through the hoops people suggest to get those things to play right. The finish isn't much thicker than the Poly on my American Deluxe Strat, although while the sunburst looks good, it's a little more orange than the vintage yellow burst I've seen on the older Jags I've seen. Still, it's nice to have and a totally different guitar than what I've been used to. IMG_20180711_084248.jpg IMG_20180711_084207.jpg
    IMG_20180711_084215.jpg IMG_20180711_084248.jpg

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Nice!
    I had a black one once.

Rayf_Brogan likes this.

3. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2012
    ca
    Congrats. Funny I was going to post a NGD thread as well. Not to hijack but I picked up a 2015 CP JM 2 days ago because the price was too good to pass up.

I agree it feels huge. I have been reading that they didn’t switch to Pau Ferro until last year so I think it’s still rosewood. Yours should definitely be RW.

It seems well made and fun to play. The grain is impressive on mine and yours.

Here it is with a MIM strat 20 years its senior. IMG_5880.JPG IMG_5881.JPG

Rayf_Brogan and Lake Placid Blue like this.

4. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2017
    Washington
    Very cool. Yeah, the Pau Ferro must have been swapped in a year or so ago with the new regulations. I am not a fan of those at all, so I'm glad I could snage a rosewood fretboard JM. I'd be surprised if we saw a rise in values for RW guitars, but you never know.

5. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2012
    ca
    To be honest I haven’t tried one so my only experience is RW vs maple. I mostly don’t like RW fretboard strats so this is kind of a nice change.

6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    That's a beauty! Congratulations.

Rayf_Brogan likes this.

7. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I have a black one— excellent 100% stock. The pickups are more like P90s than true JM pickups but I find them to work really well for me. I don’t like really bright pickups, anyway. These are still bright, but without being piercing.

Rayf_Brogan likes this.

8. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    supposedly those pickups are basically strat pickups in jazzmaster pickup housings and don't really sound that much like jazzmaster pickups.

9. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    wowza that's gorgeous! really nice case too!

Congrats and shred it!

Rayf_Brogan likes this.

10. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    You're probably thinking of the MIJ Jazzmaster pickups, which are as you describe and sound absolutely awful with the Jazzmaster's 1M pots. The MIM Classic Player pickups are basically P90s and sound great, albeit different from traditional JM pickups.

BorderRadio likes this.

11. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    BorderRadio and Rayf_Brogan like this.

12. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2017
    Washington
    I'm not surprised at that theory. I felt like I was plugepl into a giant Strat the first time I played it.

13. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    These are great guitars,their pickups don't sound like strat pickups,the MIJ JM dο, they are in fact low output P90s.

BorderRadio likes this.

14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Congrats on the JM, grain looks great! I like the necks on a lot of these.

Also another +1 on CPs being P90-style, just like the J. Mascis pickups.

15. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

No doubt at all on the pickups. I installed a treble bleed on mine and the pickup construction was quite visible. Bar magnet, single coil. Much like a P90 but wider and shallower windings which alters tone slightly. I’ve seen photos of the MIJ ones and they look just like Strat pickups with a huge cover put over them for cosmetics. Totally different.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.