Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD: 2007 MIM Electron Blue Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by nerdinary, Mar 8, 2014.

1. nerdinary

nerdinary TDPRI Member

Mar 3, 2014
    Sydney
    A bit of background first...

I've been after a tele for a while now, and I had narrowed it down to a '93 Squire Japan or a '03 Fender MIM (which I posted a thread a bout, asking for opinions).

I decided on the MIM, but it turned out that I was too late and it was already sold :( But the very same day I saw a local ad about a '06 MIM Tele that was listed as "new: unopened and unplayed". Went to check it out, and wouldn't you know it - been lying in its case for the last 7 years. It still had the plastic covers on it from the factory!

Turns out that keeping a guitar in the factory plastic packing for ~7 years isn't a great idea. The wrap that was on the pick-guard had literally 'fused' onto the surface, and it took me a good part of an hour to peel that off. Another hour of cleaning and setting it up - I finally had a working Tele!

Some initial observations:

• I'm not sure what I think of the maple fretboard. It's.. different. I have a Strat and a Les Paul, both with rosewood fretboards, so it'll be a while before I can form an opinion.
    • The frets are bigger than what's on my other guitars. I believe these are "medium jumbo" (?) while my Strat has vintage frets. Again, haven't formed an opinion on if I like it or not
    • I don't like the white pick-guard on the blue body. I think black would suit it much better, unless I'm convinced otherwise.
    • zomg the bridge pickup sounds brilliant! Now I know what everyone's on about when they talk about the 'tele twang'
    • the neck pickup is fairly dark, even with the tone knob all the way up - is this normal?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    I am no expert on teles, so I can´t really answer to Your pickup question. In my MIM tele (2012) are those ceramics, and they sound well balanced (neck to bridge).

I immediately fell in love with the neck (maple fretboard, frets, shape). But anyhow, that blue is a beautiful colour, congratulations! Oh, and a black pickguard might look good, but as the body colour is on the darker side I think the white pickguard gives a nice contrast. I do not feel a necessitiy to change it.

3. billybarool

billybarool Tele-Meister

Mar 4, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Nice axe! Love the color! Enjoy!

4. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

Dec 15, 2012
    South Jersey
    I was told Fender switch from vintage frets to medium jumbo on the standard line on 1/2006. So if it's a 2007 it would have medium jumbo frets,but with the serial number it could be a 2006 or 2007 made Tele. Since you feel the difference though of the frets you're probably right on them being medium jumbo :)

5. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Try raising the neck pickup a bit.

You could go with a pearloid pick guard:

Attached Files:

6. nerdinary

nerdinary TDPRI Member

Mar 3, 2014
    Sydney
    The neck pickup isn't flat, its higher on the bottom 'E' than it is on the top (bass) 'E'. Is this normal?

7. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    I would say yes, but it should be adjusted to personal taste for tone and balanced volume from string to string. As long as the strings aren't hitting the pickup, you're good.

8. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

Dec 15, 2012
    South Jersey
    Yes that is normal ,but if the pickup is too close to the strings it would pull on them because of the magnets. Since it was left alone for years in new condition I would think the height was left alone.

Also I would leave the white guard on it. The black wouldn't look right on it and would be a very weird contrast IMO. If it was Blue Agave then it'd be a different story all together. If you really wanna change it get a mint green,cream or parchment pickguard.

9. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    yes, but I believe some pull is unavoidable. The strings are interacting with the magnetic field of the pickup or the whole system wouldn't work.

10. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

Dec 15, 2012
    South Jersey
    I should have phrased that a bit better. Having a pickup too high can cause too much pull. As Fender puts it directly from their site "Set too high, pickups can cause myriad inexplicable phenomena." I've also been told having the pickup too high can cause fretbuzz and tuning problems.

11. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    I find that with the string pressed down at the last fret on the neck, there should be about 1/4" to the top of the neck pickup, and about 3/16" to 1/8" to the top of the bridge pickup.

12. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2003
    WALTHAM MA
    The blue looks great with the maple neck, blue kinda warming the maple up

Gary

13. Big Monz

Big Monz Tele-Meister

Dec 31, 2013
    Nashville
    Real pretty..congrats and enjoy!

14. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne Tele-Holic

Dec 28, 2010
    Gotham City
    Nice! the white pg really makes it pop,but I'm with you on the black pg. all three of my Tele's have black pg's,except a Squier Tele (the same color as yours) that I bought off CL just to put my Marty Stuart/Kenny Vaughan autographed pg on.

15. TelePhartz

TelePhartz Friend of Leo's

Jan 11, 2014
    a mile high in AZ
    That is a nice looking color, yeah! Don't listen to these guys :D you don't need to change the pickguard. I like the white one better than the suggested replacements - especially mint - blech.

Do listen to these guys about adjusting the pickups though. :lol: If that's the same pups that are on my '11 they actually sound quite good. With the neck sounding dark I'd at least raise the treble side some, but get the whole thing up closer. I like to pick alternately high E / Low E on one pickup to decide which end needs to be higher or lower and get the balance I like. Once you've got both done that way start switching back and forth and adjust for a match that you like between them.

If they get too close things can just sound odd. Like the string doesn't want to vibrate right and kinda sorta warbles and wobbles. You'll know. :cool:

16. nerdinary

nerdinary TDPRI Member

Mar 3, 2014
    Sydney
    Argh, I'm so indecisive about the pickguard. The problem is buying something and not knowing what it would look like.

I've found a few samples from other members on this forum, just can't make up my mind what looks better:

Black Pearloid:
    [​IMG]

White Pearloid:
    [​IMG]

17. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

Dec 15, 2012
    South Jersey
    Between those 2? White pearloid :D I still think the stock white,mint green,cream or parchment would look better. I loved white pearloid on the American Deluxes. Then I got it on 2 Telecasters I owned at one point and bought replacements. Turns out it just wasn't my thing :eek: But it's your guitar and everyone has different tastes. So get what makes you happiest. That's what makes the guitar world so funny everyone loves something different! :p

18. Ragtime Dan

Ragtime Dan Tele-Holic

For black, the solid Bakelite might look better. If you`re thinking pearloid, silver perloid looks good on dark blue.

19. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    White Pearl

20. Vindibona

Vindibona TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2014
    Mexico
    Nerd- I have the same color guitar in a Strat. I contemplated changing the white pickguard to black. Then I overlaid a black one while in the guitar store and changed my mind entirely. For this color I think white is most appropriate and if I did change it would be to white pearl. Of course everyone has their own taste.

The original pickups in my MIM (toploader) Tele were not bad. But after changing them out the guitar sound has a glassy sparkle that I never could have imagined. However, I'm not sure how my Tele would sound with heavy rock without going thru a bunch of pedals. I did pick up an inexpensive compressor which helps in certain situations.

As always, your experience will be unique.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.