Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

NGD 1997 Jimmie Vaughan Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Six T. Six, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Six T. Six

Six T. Six Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    My search for a Strat has come to an end. I picked up a 97 MIM JV Strat for $380 from a fella who posted it to CL. My first strat!

The specific neck shape of this guitar is what I was looking for, and once I felt it I just knew. It feels somewhat similar to my RW 50's Tele, which is sold as a "U" shape. I researched through tdpri and other comments online that the 90's JV strats have a different V shape than later ones, and while I haven't tried a newer one, I like this so much I don't want to bother!

Obligatory pics! Cool looking grain on the neck, minor wear, couple dings, just how I like my guitars: with some character!

Attached Files:

2. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    Nice price! Good Luck with it.

3. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2005
    California
    Love that color combo on a Strat, and the JV's are awesome. Great score!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Dingbat

Dingbat Friend of Leo's

Apr 12, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Nice Strat. Good deal on the neck as it is hard to find the fatter necks on Strats unless you pay $1000+

6. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Dec 16, 2009
    North Carolina
    Oh you lucky so and so! I've been looking for one of these for years and haven't found one yet. Congrats and have fun with it

7. Six T. Six

Six T. Six Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks all!

Question I'd like to ask: looks like the previous owner did some light relic'ing and the gloss appears to have been "steel-wooled" off. I actually really like the matte white appearance, but its quite scratched when looking up close. I think it adds character, but I still see what appears to be a million little tic tack toe boards, which is just plain unnatural to me. I can't capture very well in a photo.

How could I go about buffing that out so the scratch marks are gone and the color is more uniform, but still keep a matte white appearance? Some clear polish with a light abrasive and some specific cloth of some sort?

8. jholcomb

jholcomb Tele-Meister

Aug 11, 2005
    Illinois
    A decently priced JV Strat is the best bargain out there. Looks very nice. I have a really nice sunburst one I picked up for $350 a couple of years ago...just replaced the pickups with some Lee Dickson Brown pickups by Mojotone....poor man's Brownie.

9. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations, I bought a white/cream JV strat in around 2000 (my second ever guitar).

I LOVE the necks as well. A real delight to play.

As far as the scratching goes, I have de glossed a few guitars now and stage 1 for me is a scotch brite (sounds like where your at), stage 2 is a general purpose car polish and a small amount of mild cut and polish and water. Just work slowly to bring it back to the level of shine you prefer.

One of the things I try and do is to shine up the high use areas and leave the low use areas. This avoids the what I call the "Joe Strummer" look where everything is uniform matte finish and looks unrealistic....

Good luck.

10. Six T. Six

Six T. Six Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Thank you! I'll give that a shot when I stop playing this beautiful neck! Glad to finally have a strat, Tele, and LP, what I've always thought of as the triumvirate of rock!

11. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    Used JV's are usually a great value. New ones not so much at $850 street price. But plenty of used ones well under $500 out there.

12. JTM45blues

JTM45blues Tele-Afflicted

May 14, 2003
    Iowa
    I love my Jimmie Vaughan strat ( and Jimmie too). I have owned 3 of em. The first was the best in terms of weight and "clanky" tone. Unfortunately some unexpected expenses came up and the guita was sold.

Then I bought another, this one sucked, except the neck, it was returned.

The one I own now sounds fantastic, plays great and the neck is exceptional. However the body is HEAVY! This thing weighs in like a Les Paul. I have it loaded up with Van Zandt true vintage pickups and it is the best sounding strat I have ever owned.

13. Six T. Six

Six T. Six Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Well, I thought, and was told, this JV Strat was a "late 90's", but I just had to find out for sure based on the serial numbers I've read about being inconsistent.

The serial on the back of the headstock is MSN700940, so based on Fender's information about these, the N7 should mean '97, but I've read that numerous, over-produced serial number decals with MSN7xxxxx could have been used until 2005-ish. So this has morphed into a "determine what year JV Strat I have because the serial numbers are wacky" thread, as well as a "what a JV Strat gut shot looks like" thread.

So I took off the neck while changing the strings. The neck pocket and heel have no dates. The pick guard has Dec 09 20(smudge)(smudge). So as of now, I can't determine the actual date of this guitar.

Any thoughts? I'm going to email the serial to Fender to see if there is anything they might be able to tell me. Mostly though, I just want to make sure I have what I think I have.

Attached Files:

14. RevMike

RevMike Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    That is nice. A Jimmy Strat like that is on my list of someday guitars. Really nice.

15. Six T. Six

Six T. Six Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks RevMike! I hope you find one!

As for dating this guitar by serial#, I emailed Fender and they sent me an auto reply message that they have a lot of email traffic, so dating requests could take longer to respond to.

In the meantime, I put a custom engraved Leo neck plate on that Guardian Customs did for me.

Attached Files:

16. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2013
    Ohio
    Could be someone put a jimmie V neck on a mim standard body. I will NOT buy a used strat since unless you know the person that bought it new, it prob. Have been put together from various guitars.

17. Six T. Six

Six T. Six Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I think this is genuine JV, but i doubt it is a 97, and an early 2000's JV.

The innerwebs I've read indicate the date under the single ply pick guard is the only way to date this model.

The wiring appears consistent for the model with the no tone/wide open middle. There is also the steel six point bridge, which is, to the best of my knowledge, of MIM strats, only offered on the JV Strat model.

So for somebody to go swapping the original JV body and keeping all of the hardware and wiring and neck for some other body, seems like a waste of time for minimal return. I guess stranger things have happened!

I'd like to know so i could verify which of the two types of V neck shape i have because I really like it, and my understanding is there's two types. I might be able to play a newer version in a music store to compare, but they seem to be really hard to come across, as I've not seen one is stores, and I travel all over the country too!

18. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2013
    Ohio
    It could be a JV body, but every JV body I have seen has date stamps in the neck pocket. Also mim standard bodies have 6 strew tremelos. I believe the string spacing on the JV is the same as american strats, and the mim bodies have a different string spacing.

If it was me, string spacing is the first thing I would check.

19. birv2

birv2 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    Scary good deal on that JV.

That guitar is one of the best kept secrets, bang for the buck, out there.

20. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

JV's are great strats - is the tremelo block steel - will a magnet stick to the block?

The JV's have a steel block and better tremelo system than stock MIM Strats.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.