Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD 1953

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Crashbelt, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Tedzo

Tedzo TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Northern California
    The 'D' on the Fender logo points at the D tuner....period correct. Nice ax.

head1.jpg

Crashbelt likes this.

2. John O

John O TDPRI Member

May 22, 2016
    Delaware
    wow, that's a dandy! i'd be staying up til 2-3am to play that one.
    congrats and enjoy.

Crashbelt likes this.

3. GuitarRandy

GuitarRandy TDPRI Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Parker, Colorado
    There may be nicer looking, better feeling "modern" guitars out there but there is nothing like a blackguard!
    Enjoy! its a beauty!

Crashbelt likes this.

4. Masterbuilt

Masterbuilt Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2004
    London,UK
    So are you still in love, have you gigged it yet? I would love to have your balls to buy a refin blackguard, but everytime I see one I just see doubts and questions. The Virgo in me would buy one and spend the rest of the time fretting about it whilst reading The Blackguard Book....lol. They are usually in the US too which would mean buying without seeing which is less than ideal with a £12k+ guitar.

Crashbelt likes this.

5. Marcus M B

Marcus M B TDPRI Member

Aug 31, 2017
    London, England
    Is that JKG in the Thomas Briggs building in Shoreditch/Hoxton? I go past it most days on my way to work and the workshop is hidden from the street so I always wonder what's inside. Now I know! Also handy to pick up some mid-century furniture in the same building.

Crashbelt likes this.

6. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2017
    Cambridge England
    Totally in love with it and gigged last weekend. It played and sounded great straight into my 59 Gibson GA8 amp. Did all the bridge pup stuff beautifully for the Cropper soul chops, Skynrd country-rock licks etc. without being at all shrill. Big surprise was awesome tone on slow blues leads on the neck pup - our singer/rhythm guitarist (Tele player himself) turned round and went WTF!! I was dead lucky to get it - Joseph is fanatical about everything being right and took me through every part - didn't need to verify it later but I checked the lot anyway against Nacho's book down to the patent number on the switch tip - all there of course.

Funny thing is that I wasnt looking for a blakguard - I was just taking a trashed SG into Joseph for major surgery and he said take a look at this.............

t guitar floyd and Masterbuilt like this.

7. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2017
    Cambridge England
    That's the one - great guy total craftsman with massive knowledge. There's a feature article on him in Feb 18 Guitarist mag.

Here's my new avatar the 66 Custom and 53 Blackguard - I'll never need another Tele:D
    20180201_225130.jpg

8. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2003
    (Age 55) Toronto
    Wow, nice pair!
    Are these still wired the old way or have they been changed to post 67 modern?

Crashbelt likes this.

9. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    You've got a custom too???

Awe hell man, some beauties right there.

Crashbelt and Piggy Stu like this.

10. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2017
    Cambridge England
    Original wiring configurations on both. Good for the blackguard that the older blend control gave way to tone control of both pups at the end of 52 so it's not been altered. But they'e both really nice players rather than museum pieces anyway:D

t guitar floyd and fernieite like this.

11. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2003
    (Age 55) Toronto
    Hey Crashbelt, can you get a combination of the neck and bridge pickups by carefully placing the switch in an in between setting?
    Or is that just an urban myth?

Crashbelt likes this.

12. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Feb 4, 2016
    sw US
    Did you trade the SG in on the Blackguard? I would have in a NY minute! :)

Crashbelt likes this.

13. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2017
    Cambridge England
    I would have traded the SG and ànything else for the Blackguard but didn't need to.

So JKG are doing a full restoration. It's a 61 Standard I inherited which had a horrific John Birch customisation years ago including a very thick poly dark greenburst refin (including over the board:confused:). And the sideways changed to a fine tuning tailpiece:(.

But despite some changed parts the PAFs and most plastic parts are intact, so it will be refinned in aged Polaris White and wrong parts replaced with aged repro. Here it is - please don't look if you are of a nervous disposition:lol:.
    20180102_002052.jpg

14. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Feb 4, 2016
    sw US
    That's a beautiful guitar, even with that finish . . . . I used to have one of those in cherry and, in '61, wouldn't that have still been called a Les Paul? It will be good to get rid of that tailpiece, though. The one I used to have was a great guitar, but I ended up trading it for a '61 Custom Tele. :)

Crashbelt likes this.

15. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    put me in your will

Crashbelt likes this.

16. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2017
    Cambridge England
    Yes it is strictly speaking a 61 Les Paul Standard. The truss rod cover has the 'Les Paul' in script on it. It'll be great when it's restored.

t guitar floyd likes this.

17. tsj93

tsj93 TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2017
    London
    Congratulations! Looks absolutely stellar, enjoy it in good health :) would love to hear a demo of it

I'll also echo what a great guy Joe is, he made me a lovely rosewood slab whiteguard that you can see on his facebook page. Marcus (the poster above) has 3 videos playing it (at least I think I'm getting the right Marcus!)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.