Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD — American Original Jazzmaster

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by AAT65, May 17, 2018.

1. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Well, to cut a long story short, I was made redundant after 20 years — to soften the blow they had to pay me off pretty handsomely (roughly 2 years’ salary as a lump sum). And my wife, a true pearl amongst women, said ‘Why don’t you buy yourself a nice new guitar?’ So off I went... tried many things... and came home today with this:
    Can you tell what it is yet? 9CBA2FC9-2AF3-4531-AE66-254D9EA5383F.jpeg
    Isn’t that case gorgeous? 4E8486C0-756A-41DD-9910-09F9D1DF0B8D.jpeg
    AD33B440-357F-4128-B759-5CEBA7FE7B51.jpeg
    And that guitar’s not bad either!!

American Original 60s Jazzmaster in metallic Ocean Turquoise with tortoiseshell pickguard / scratchplate.

2. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    Beautiful! I’ve always loved Jazzmasters. Such a classy, elegant yet rockin’ guitar!

AAT65 likes this.

3. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Other guitars I played while hunting down this beauty:
    • American Pro Telecaster Deluxe (twin Shawbuckers). I wanted to love this but... the LP-style controls put me off, and the sound just didn’t grab: a bit anonymous I think.
    • American Pro Telecaster (single coils). Nice feel and nice sound indeed. Just too similar to my Elite.
    • American Original 60s Telecaster. Very tempting, a bit different from the Elite... sounded great and the neck felt just right.
    • American Original 50s Telecaster. Sounded good but I don’t do Butterscotch and the neck is just too thick for me. (I do have quite short fingers.)
    • PRS Custom 22 (second hand, from 1999, one of the old ones with the rotary pickup selector). Oddly disappointing, which is my experience now with several PRSes. And the rotary selector is just too fiddly, I could never gig with that. Gorgeous looking and well-made, but I am sadly beginning to think that a lot of PRSes are indeed strangely characterless.
    • PRS McCarty (also a 1999 guitar by chance). Nicer than the Custom 22 - single coil sounds were actually very good and the humbuckers a bit disappointing again. And it seemed a lot of money for a 19-year-old guitar, especially if I then used it in single-coil mode most of the time. (It would have cost almost exactly what the Jazzmaster was going for.)

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Lake Placid Blue likes this.

4. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful color! Ive always wanted one of these but always end up getting a different guitar.

parademe, AAT65 and Danjabellza like this.

5. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2017
    Moravian Falls, NC
    Beautiful guitar, ATT65. Best wiggle stick Fender made, in my opinion.

Sorry about the forced retirement, though.

Totally unrelated to your post, but your city is the nicest place I’ve ever stayed. I’ve been lucky enough to visit 4 times. My wife agrees. I’d hop a plane back in a heartbeat (but don’t have the coin, and work ain’t keen on sending me just now).

Minimalist518 and AAT65 like this.

6. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    My initial impressions of the Jazzmaster:
    • So beautiful to look at! I saw it online first, then on some YouTube videos - and in person it was just as striking. What a colour, and what a great combo with the (frickin massive) tort scratchplate.
    • Style all day long! That shape!
    • Plays nicely sitting but standing up is what matter to me - and there it is as comfortable as my Tele or my Shergold. Well balanced.
    • Every sound is distinctive and useful — including the ‘rhythm circuit’ setting. (I did not even consider looking at the American Pro version because they’ve taken out the rhythm circuit.)
    • The bridge pickup - it is kinda like a Tele and yet different. Not to my ears brittle like a Strat bridge pickup - very trebly but also a full, complex sound. A strong tone.
    • The neck pickup - warm, bluesy, jazzy... and combined with the bridge you get a full sound with a hint of spank.
    • The rhythm circuit starts with an almost acoustic sound, definitely mellow - and if you turn the tone right down everything is almost inaudible!
    • The neck is perfect — a bit chunkier than my Elite Tele bit not baseball-bat at all. So comfortable to play. And the 9.5” radius is very comfortable too, chording up and down the neck.
    • The neck binding is gorgeous.
    • The tremolo / vibrato is perfect for me. I’m not a big trem user - my other main guitars are hard tails, I hardly play my Strat. But this does such a nice surfy / shimmery vibrato, I will find myself using it often I think (hope not too often!).
    • It’s strung with 10s... I am a 9s guy normally and I feel the difference, but that’s a challenge I will happily take on (& will probably try 11s too for more tension on the bridge).
    • The nitro does indeed smell like cake!

7. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks @Jimmy Owen!
    Edinburgh is indeed a beautiful place, very happy to have lived here for 21 years.
    Too early to call this a retirement - I will have to get back out there and find some gainful employment, but it’s R&R time first: I need a break!
    In the end I think this redundancy will be one of the best things that ever happened to me: senior Management at my old place has become dictatorial and arbitrary, and at intermediate levels there have been battles with people who just do not want to adapt their ways of working to the modern age. So I see myself as one of the lucky ones, who gets paid to leave!

8. Vlad McManwich

Vlad McManwich TDPRI Member

May 19, 2010
    Winnipeg
    Holy cow that's a beauty!! And a great case. Even when the guitars put away in the case you still have something beautiful to drool over!

AAT65 likes this.

9. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

Great color. Enjoy the new guitar.

- D

AAT65 likes this.

10. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    TAKE THAT THING OFF THE STAND RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!

The rubber and foam on guitar stands will eat the nitro finish!!!!

Hyliandeity, AAT65 and BorderRadio like this.

11. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Damn the breaking bad dude is shouting.

BorderRadio likes this.

12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Great looking guitar!

AAT65 likes this.

13. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 14, 2015
    Nashville
    I love that color combination

AAT65 likes this.

14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nice, congrats! Your taste in guitars is impeccable, as is your ability to pick ‘em ;) I was gifted a similar JM last year, a Wildwood ‘65 in OTM. I thought about putting my Spitfire tort guard on it but I’m in a looong honeymoon phase right now, only alteration is a de rigueur Mastery.

F3F8DBC7-7CCB-4541-AE3F-EA1560398FE8.jpeg

AAT65 likes this.

15. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy
    Stunning looking guitar, congrats!

AAT65 likes this.

16. Tezuka27

Tezuka27 Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    Sorry about the job, love the guitar. It's a beauty.

jb

AAT65 likes this.

17. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm drooling...

AAT65 likes this.

18. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Yeah I know... I will find a safe place, don’t worry!

19. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    The Jazzmaster has joined the crew on the Hercules wall hangers - which are claimed to be nitro-safe:
    image.jpg
    I don’t like keeping guitars in cases - I want to play them and I want to see them! IMHO cases are for transport, even one as nice as the one the Jazzy came in.

Hyliandeity and raysachs like this.

20. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Fabulous looking guitar! Ocean Blue Metallic fan here (just built a Tele in that colour).

Very best wishes on enjoying your deserved R and R and in your new role when it comes.

I've spent a lot of time in Edinburgh overall the years have wide family there. Great city and top place to live.

AAT65 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.