Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD – Gibson SG = WOW!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by waltschwarzkopf, Feb 13, 2018.

Should I buy "inlay" stickers?

1. NO!

66 vote(s)
    95.7%
  2. Only trapeze for the frets

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Only crown for the head

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. Both, trapeze and crown.

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. waltschwarzkopf

waltschwarzkopf Tele-Meister

May 17, 2017
    Zürich
    Hi guys,

I've been playing guitar for quite some time and usually look at the classifieds for used guitars and amps that may be good offers. I only make NGD threads for the stuff that I think is worth keeping.

This one is a 2010 Gibson SG Special Faded in worn red with 490 R/T pickups and a 50’s rounded neck (thankfully). I got it for 400 bucks, which seemed like a good price to me, I looked it up on reverb and eBay before buying and they sell for 400-600, so it was within range. The specs are pretty standard, 22 frets on a Rosewood board, mahogany neck and body, and AlNiCo II PUPs.

I bought it on Sunday night, and when I got home it was too late to plug in the Gigmaster and raise hell, so I played it unplugged. I was amazed at how light this is! I own an Epi LP which is heaviest and a Gibson LP which is lighter, but this is feather light! It just hangs perfectly from my shoulders. I was looking for one without a slim taper neck, and this one has the same shape as my LP which I love, so it plays awesome. The satin finish and double-cut SG body make shifting from fret 1 to fret 22 effortless, it also sounded great too and quite loud for such a light non-amplified electric. It was hard for me to put her down and go to bed.

On Monday I made sure get home early enough to let her roar, and she did! It sounds incredible through my amp (ENGL Gigmaster 315 + 310 cabinet). Nice and deep lows on clean through the neck pickups and clear highs through the bridge. Then I switched to my usual channel, where I keep the gain pretty low, but enough for crunch and to be able to drive it when I hit the strings hard. It sounds completely different to the LP (BB Pros), which is a good thing for me. It doesn’t drive the amp as much as the BurstBucker Pros, but it’s exactly what I wanted. The AlNiCo II magnet is really warm, the neck sounds great for Guns N’ Roses and does “woman tone” unbelievably well. The bridge is trebbly enough for Led Zeppelin and, of course, AC/DC.

I’m really blown away by this guitar, I was looking for a light and affordable Gibson to take to the studio and leave the LP at home, but (don’t tell anyone) I think I like this one better than the LP. Enough talking, here are some pics. By the quality of the pics, you will see that I wanted to take them as fast as possible and get back to playing, lol.

Cheers,

Walter

P.S. If you live in Zürich and want to get together and jam, send me a PM.

P.P.S. I’m thinking about buying trapeze and crown “inlay” stickers, what do you say?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bftfender, Tone Eee, ddhr and 10 others like this.
  2. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    Oh yeah, I like it! Recently picked up a Standard myself, so I can relate to the SG love.

I voted no. It is fantastic as is.

3. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I like dots... stickers, really? you gonna play it or look at it?

4. emcee_m_prime

emcee_m_prime TDPRI Member

Dec 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Please, for the love of god, don't do that.

Nice guitar!

5. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    Killer guitar. Beat on it as it is. Congrats

studio1087 likes this.
  6. waltschwarzkopf

May 17, 2017
    Zürich
    I'm glad you like it. I guess the stickers are a no go, it was just a thought. But it would go against it's intended purpose, to to rock hard and be played, no to hang it and just look at it. Besides, as I mostly play standing up I can't even see the fretboard.

7. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
  8. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    SG specials don't need no special treatment! Dots belong on that guitar!

It doesn't get any better than a good SG so congrats!

JayFreddy and waltschwarzkopf like this.
  9. bonzo898

bonzo898 TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Nice! I have an ‘05 SG Special Faded which is the only Gibson I own at this point. I sold off my expensive Les Paul because I picked up the cheap dinged up SG 90% of the time. The thin satin finish feels great on the neck and I think the lack of thick paint improves the resonance/tone from the wood.

10. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Congrats on the new SG! I really like the old school Kluson style tuners, too.

Carlos says that a dot SG needs no apology stickers. Even without the P-90's.

Carlos Santana 2.jpg

11. waltschwarzkopf

May 17, 2017
    Zürich
    Holy sh¡t! I had no idea that Santana also played one, he is one of my all-time favourite guitar players.
    Thanks for the photo!

12. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Do they make neck binding stickers? 'Cause without binding, the trapezoid inlays and the crown look out of place. I voted "no".

13. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2017
    Castle Rock
    Yeah don't cockup an already perfect guitar! o_O

waltschwarzkopf and studio1087 like this.
  14. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I love SG's. That's a beautiful guitar. No stickers!! :eek:

If you want to do something to dress it up you could order Gibson chrome pickup covers. I did this with my Special and Faded. Add some proper Gibson chrome......

[​IMG]

Congrats on the nice Gibson. They are as comfy as they are lively.

15. SecretSquirrel

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    I noticed the nut slots, especially the G and D, are cut at angles pointing to the tuner posts — is that a factory thing?

I don't recall ever seeing nut slots cut that way. Makes sense, but the string is still angled, just on the other side of the nut. Anyone have experience with that?

16. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    He is entitled to make his own mistake, but he is also welcome to ask a load of people who already made that mistake whether he should do it

I got swerved out of mistakes worth hundreds by this site

17. SecretSquirrel

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    True! I was undecided (later voted "No!"), and I couldn't resist the new catch-phrase.
    :oops: :D

18. Lord-Humongous

Lord-Humongous TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Canada
    Stickers? Won’t that affect the way it feels and plays? Why mess it up.

19. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 24, 2012
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I did the same thing on mine

I love the neck on these Faded SGs

studio1087 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.