Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

*\NFGD/* 1992 Fender Japan Telecaster 40th Ann.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mowgli5555, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Apr 15, 2005
    UK
    Congrats. I've got a 5-piece, pine SQCV50sBSB too, weighs about 8.5lbs, which is about as heavy as I'll go.

Uncle Mui likes this.

2. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    So I have been playing both Telecasters and here is my take so far. Unplugged, the Classic Vibes is definitely louder. Now, this is where things get a bit tricky.
    The Classic vibes feels pretty solid throughout the fretboard, and the pickups make sound come out of them.
    The CV just seems to lack the focus and clarity of the Japan 40th Telecaster, and doesn't feel quite as balanced through the range.

Anyway, on a side not.... The shop just accepted my offer for the lower end Japan Telecaster 52RI and his morning.
    Hopefully it will be in the mail tomorrow and arrive by the end of the next week.
    It will be in a direct shootout against the CV, then I going to cut one of them loose.

The Squier is a solid guitar and we will see if it can hold its own for around half the price of the lower end Japan Telecaster.
    No need for multiple Telecasters around here. Just one that I can throw on my motorcycle and take anywhere without worry, and one I can play by my lonesome. Josh

Uncle Mui likes this.

3. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    Just for anyone curious. This is roughly the neck shape of the 40th Japan Telecaster vs the Squier CV BSB (1st fret and 12th)
    The Japan 40th has a slight Vish type neck that curves out, and is about a millimeter or so thicker than the CV at the 1st fret.
    The nut is 42.5 mm for the Japan 40th and just around 43mm wide for the CV. Josh

***Using solder wire is not as easy as I thought it would be. CV is on top, 40th below.**

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017

4. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Looks like a soft V maybe to me? That's what my TL52 was. Great guitars, congrats!

5. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2016
    Australia
    So you bought three teles in a week? Have I got that right? I just kept a bottom of the barrel Japanese tele over a CVC, and with all the Classic Vibe love here, I feel like I've committed some weird sin.

6. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    Yes, 3 Telecasters in one week. I have my reasoning. It may be borderline mad, but reasoning nonetheless.

Everytime I play the guitar in the shop, I will choose whichever sounds the best immediately as if I know what I need to hear.
    When I purchase guitars without playing them, it can really be a shi+ shoot.

It actually makes me want to like any guitar that arrives on my doorstep. In a different way than if I were playing it against 7-8 others in a store.
    Usually, after a few weeks, I come to a conclusion and have no idea what sounds I was originally looking for, and repeat process until I am satisfied.

I went though about 15 Les Paul's until I just had someone build me one. It is my one and only Les Paul now.
    Most of the other LP's were fine guitars, but just couldn't stick around during my evolving self.

This time around I had every intention of higher end Fender Japan guitars vs lower/mid range Fender Japan guitars.
    It would also be nice to know how they stack up against modern variants from all the various Fender factories.
    Then just cut them loose and at least feel comfort in knowing I have made a solid decision based on the instrument alone.

Edit: Yes, very soft V. Much softer than my Stratocaster reissue and I considered that to be a soft V. It then almost loses V shape towards the heel which is interesting.
    It is a unique shape to me, but feels better than the Classic Vibes only because it is thicker. Josh

7. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    How is it that a '92 model is a 40th Annie and a '96 model is a 50th?
    Japanese math is weird.

8. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Fender Electric Instrument Company was founded in 1946. Telecaster was introduced in 1952. 1996 is the 50th anniversary of the company, 1992 is the 40th anniversary of the Telecaster.

Edit: I guess there were some "Telecasters" produced in late 1951, but Fender seems to consider them to be a 1952 model year. Fullerton's first reissues in 1982 were for the 40th anniversary, so if the math is weird, it's a Fender thing, not a Japanese thing.

Piggy Stu likes this.

9. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2016
    Australia
    If you have the means to do it, then why not. For those of us working our way up the ladder of Fender guitars it does get to a point where the money/quality ratio becomes important, and to have direct comparisons to work with is the most helpful thing of all. I have two teles now, a MIM standard with upgrades and the TL40 Japanese, and am wondering if pooling them for a Baja or American or better Japanese one will be a better move than keeping two guitars with different tones.

10. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    The Telecaster hunt has been my most involved and probably well beyond my means.
    I am lucky enough to have a girlfriend that allows me to spend a little more than I should to find the right ones.

This is partially because I have had negative experiences with Telecasters in the past.
    It mostly comes from eventually preferring vintage radius necks and vintage style frets, due to my light string pressure.

Also, I didn't think that I would get past the intonation factor. This is something that could drive me completely insane.
    However, luckily my instruments weren't built by a giraffe, and they actually get pretty close.

My vote always goes to whatever you will play the most. Josh

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017

11. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    Okay..... The good, the bad, and the ugly.

It is time to see some of what irks me and what leaves a smile on my face.
    This guitar was descibed as condition grade A, but I would call it more like B+ish.

First off. Of course, it is a striking guitar, and the figuring is mesmerizing.
    The grain is very tight, and the birdseye neck makes for something to look at while playing.

The lacquer feels like it can soften up a bit while playing, but doesn't seem like it will be an issue.
    Also, the lacquer shows marks from the hard case interior into the finish, and it has removed the finish in very small areas.
    There are worm marks in the back, marks around the straps and lacquer burn on the neck, through the finish.

The frets are a little more worn than I would have expected from an A condition guitar.
    The neck pocket isn't as tight as I would have liked, but it is probably plenty acceptable.

One thing that makes me the most upset is that someone drilled a new hole for the string holder and it wasn't described.
    It is something that I can overlook, but it doesn't look too great when removed. This irks me most:(

Still, this guitar is meant to be played and will. I will pay it as I would any of my other guitars and won't store it in its case.
    She will be named Ann after my girlfriend, and the Anniversary for which she was made. Josh

Attached Files:

12. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    More.. Pic heavy. Josh

Attached Files:

13. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    Last time....

Attached Files:

14. AlabamaOutlaw

AlabamaOutlaw Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Oooh shes a knockout! Congratulations!

15. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Meister

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    One of the best birds eye maple necks I have seen.

jondanger likes this.

16. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Yeah, that is really something else, isn't it? I know it's a little thing, but I'd be tempted to get a proper Bakelite pickguard cut for that thing. The flat plastic with the sharp edges always bugged me on my TL52. One of the best feeling necks though.

17. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Tele-Afflicted

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    Look at the birdseye in that maple on the neck!! Gorgeous! Congratulations!

18. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    So... Here they are.

All three Telecasters in my possession in sound clips. Please, please excuse my playing.
    I was playing for about 5 years when I took a good two year break, and am finally getting back to playing again.

The only way I could play the 40th was to get into a relaxed improvisation in my mind. It was the only clip I was worried about even doing.

First up is the sunburst Japan Fender Telecaster 52.
    Next is the Japan Fender 40th Anniversary.
    Last up is the Squier Clasic Vibes 50's Telecaster BSB.

Again, please be kind as I was timid to share my playing, but would like others to hear them. Thanks everyone, Josh

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017

19. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    Damn... Hold on, uploading is harder than once thought. Josh

20. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.