Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

*\NFGD/* 1992 Fender Japan Telecaster 40th Ann.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mowgli5555, Feb 27, 2017.

1. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    Alright everyone,

Here is the result of months and months of searching for a special Telecaster. It is a 1992 Fender Japan Telecaster 52-40th Anniversary guitar.

It is a heavy beast and I am not sure that they had any lightweight wood available that week.
    Anyway, after playing several Telecasters recently, I was worried the Telecaster might not be for me.

Hopefully this one can stay by my side. It looks to be in very nice, player grade condition. There is some lacquer burn and small dings, but still presents itself well.
    It may not be the most accurate reissue due to the natural finish, back plate, and other small details, but still sounds better than every Telecaster I have tried up until this point in time.

Let me know what you guys think?.?. It was dark here, tomorrow I can get better pictures. Josh

Attached Files:

2. absurdocaster

absurdocaster Tele-Meister

Oct 10, 2013
    Calgary, Canada
    A beautiful beast is what I say. Glad they did a plain finish with all that gorgeous wood. Well found!

Owenmoney likes this.

3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Very nice. Congrats on the guitar.
    Just a thought, but if the weight is really a problem you could always get a light weight body and move all the parts over. Keep the original body to put back later if you ever wanted to. I've got a CV in this situation currently.

4. Sandhill69

Sandhill69 Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2016
    Colorado
    Gorgeous!! Congratulations. How much does it weigh?

5. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    Thanks guys... There isn't a whole lot written about this model and I have never seen it in the catalogs.
    Unfortunately, it didn't come with the original pickups or the ashtray cover.

The weight is around 4.25 kg or about 9.4 lbs. Easily the heaviest Telecaster that I have ever played.
    Not sure what type of Ash was used for this Telecaster, but it will do.

The previous owner strung it with 9's and the high E string snapped while tuning.
    So I have just been playing it as a 5 string until I can get 10's tomorrow.

I have been debating whether or not to take it apart or just leave it together.
    It looks pretty original, so who knows. Josh

6. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Nov 28, 2011
    New Jersey
    What do I think? That is five kinds of swanky right there.

Owenmoney and stevenhay like this.

7. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    I think it's really pretty! Just get a wide and/or cushioned strap and have at it.

Piggy Stu and Sandhill69 like this.

8. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    I'm a huge fan of natural finishes so it definitely looks like a winner to me.

Owenmoney likes this.

9. faasie85

faasie85 TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2016
    Netherlands
    Gorgeous!!

Owenmoney likes this.

10. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Sweet Birdseye on the neck there. You could have some weight taken out under the pickguard. But I've played a Les paul custome a lot and a wide strap will help a lot. Looks like it is indestructible.

11. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

Aug 23, 2015
    uk
    never seen a 52ri as tasty looking as that have a look at the pickups a lot of these 52ri have usa pickups

12. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

Aug 23, 2015
    uk
    never seen a 52ri as tasty looking as that have a look at the pickups a lot of the 52s have usa pickups

13. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    Thanks everyone... It is an interesting one. It is strung with 9's and I have just made the 10 transition.
    So, today I will take it up to the music store and see what they think. It is a mom and pop's, the gentleman has been there decades and is an avid Fender player(particularly Strats).

In another thread I was describing the sound as very good, but deep within. It feels that I have to pluck a little harder to get what I originally envisioned.
    It is just a little different, but hopefully a keeper.

The pickups have been changed unfortunately. The are Texas Special according to the seller, but who knows until I open it.
    Which may be never, I haven't decided whether I will disassemble this one.

I do wish the neck pocket was a little tighter near the treble side, but maybe I am just prejudice.
    The neck profile is interesting... Today, I will wrap a wire around the neck so you can see the curvature.
    I dont know what shape I would even call it, but it will do.

Today, I will check back in with more pictures, and info as I will check the pots, etc. Josh

14. guitaradelic

guitaradelic Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2008
    Anderson, IN
    Looks like a keeper! +1 on the wider strap...

15. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Meister

Oct 20, 2012
    Oley Pa
    Beautiful guitar, wish you many happy years together

16. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    It actually makes my mouth water. Like really great caramel. Good score there.

17. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    Alright guys.... I have been wanting to test a lower end Japan Telecaster and pin it against a higher end Japan Telecaster.
    The gentleman that I was going to purchase the Japan Talecaster from, just wouldn't budge from his price, so I had to pass.

Anyway, I picked up a Squier Classic Vibes Telecaster in BSB just this evening.
    It was local and a very solid deal. After playing several Telecasters and Stratocasters today at the guitar store, I had to find one.

Here it is, the best part is.... It has to be like a 5 piece body at least. The Squier should be perfect for long term usage along side the 40th Telecaster.

Attached Files:

Uncle Mui, TMMC and Tele-roaster like this.

18. Crobbins

Crobbins Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.

Nice looking Tele, congrats.....

19. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Oh, new FENDER guitar day...now I get it. I thought it was something else...

20. surfandguitar

surfandguitar TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2017
    California

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.