NFCD: New Flight Case Day!

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Axis29, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My first flight case just arrived yesterday. Probably one of the most pleasant Reverb purchase experiences of my life...

But first, my life is changing in a big way in a few weeks. I am moving out of my home state, Virginia, and am off to California. In the last almost two years I have been playing professionally with a somewhat famous player (internationally known, several WC Handy awards, etc.). To leave this playing partnership was the hardest part of the decision to move. However, we've figured out that I won't be leaving the partnership, instead I'll just become a traveling troubadour! LOL In fact, three weeks after leaving, I'll be flying back to do three gigs.

Not wanting to risk my lovely little Gibson in a soft gig bag, nor trusting the airlines to treat the wooden hard case with nay deference, it was decided that a good flight case was the way to go. I did a bit of reading, and just cannot justify the price of a Calton or Hiscox to my wife (or to myself yet). Custom fit would be nice... But, anything to be an exact fit for my little parlor size Keb Mo is just too darn expensive right now. I was kinda looking at the new Gator molded cases... But, I wasn't swamped with a lot of confidence. And, I figured if I'm gonna check the case in, I might as well be able to fit some other stuff in as well, right?

Enter the new SKB iSeries case. All the reviews are great, the thing looks sturdy, etc. Twice the price of the Gator, at $309, but, it might be worth it? Then, I found one on Reverb listed at 229 OBO. I thorough out 2 even and the guy accepted... that included shipping! The only thing is, the guy fibbed to me. It was listed as used in excellent condition. Man, this thing is brand new, still sealed in the factory box, with the factory shipping tape!

This thing is serious, too! It has lots of thick, rather hard foam and a nice velvety lining. It is far from an exact fit for my little Keb Mo, but with some additional nice soft foam (wrapped lovingly in velvet, of course), I will have full confidence in the ability to fly with my little money maker!

There are two large pockets on either side of the neck/headstock area to carry assorted stuff, a stand, strings, a couple of shirts, etc. The neck cradle reaches the full length of my little 12 fret, short (Gibson) scale guitar. It is also waterproof, with a nice o-ring seal and six TSA approved locks/latches. It has three oversize handles (meaning long) that are lightly padded. It has two wheels at one end for rolling through big airports... Or even just around the house.

The iSeries case is impressive and before traveling I will give it a full five stars for construction and appearance. I closed it and pressed really hard on the sides with very little give. I think it will protect my little baby better than the old ATA style cases. SKB made a really, really nice product!

Chud, brogh, Chunkocaster and 2 others like this.
  2. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nice! Good luck on your new adventure!

Axis29 likes this.
  3. Gabrielle84

Gabrielle84 Tele-Meister

best of success on your new venture! Thanks for the info on the case, too!

Axis29 likes this.
  4. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Are you going to San Francisco? Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair. Are you going to San Francisco? I'm sure you'll find, there'll be a love in there.

Chunkocaster and Axis29 like this.
  5. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Although one of my daughters is in San Francisco.... I will be going to SoCal.

However, i am sure at some point soon, I will have granddaughters running around with flowers in their hair!

brogh, Gabrielle84 and aerhed like this.
  6. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Hey, congrats on the new adventure and the new case.

That was a whole lot of description, which is appreciated - almost as much as actual photos!

...c'mon, man, you know the rules...

Axis29 and Gabrielle84 like this.
  7. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You have made a good investment in your life … Congratulations !

Axis29 likes this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

They look like fantastic cases, a must have for set neck and acoustic guitars imo. I have been wanting to replace my cases with iseries for a couple of years now but they are out of my price range due to shipping, exchange rate and now a new tax lumped on the price. Good luck with your move, must be exciting and somewhat stressful at the same time.

Axis29 likes this.
  9. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    good luck to you for the new adventure ! :)

Axis29 likes this.
  10. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Pics! Pics! Pics! ;-)

11. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

The last time I was in California was 1969 when I hitched across the country. Never have returned.

The only guitar I own that I keep in a good modern case is my 1942 Gibson J-50.

The last time I moved did not involve flying. We kept a couple of our old Gibsons with us in the car. For the others though I bought a good used road case to go on the moving van. I fit I think six guitars in their cases, a couple of fiddles and a mandolin or two with a ton of padding in that thing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.