Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Next Version of Mustang? Predictions? Wish List?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by dolfer, Dec 8, 2014.

1. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    One band parametric EQ would be cool. Although, I'm pretty happy with what I'm getting now (different preferences, guitar, pups, genre, etc.)

However now that you've mentioned it, I can't help but think about all the other effects modules that I'd never use that's in my Mustang that's just taking up space. I wonder if it would be possible to do a software upload or update that allows us to choose (and change) the effects without necessarily increasing the number of effects banks in our current Mustangs??

I would certainly like to change the current metallicky Chorus with something else more useful… or a better (warmer) Chorus option...

2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to never buy another amp till i die (of course at my age thats not to long :)) but i'm just saying that as good as this is that small addition would be so huge for me. A 2 band would be even better so i could tame the low mids that some amps/cabs are overflowing with. But again, no matter really, just a cherry on top. And at stage volumes i don't really have a big need for it. But at home at low volumes is where it would be great, and thats mostly what i do anymore anyways. I have a old boss 1/2 rack parametric somewhere, or i did at least. I may have tossed it since it was beat to cr@p and i haven't seen it for a while. But if i can find it i'm going to see how it works in the loop.

3. dolfer

dolfer TDPRI Member

If the Fender engineers implement just half of the suggestions in this post, we would have the greatest amplifier ever built!!! ;)

4. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    I'm almost afraid that they just might, and our beloved Mustang could double in price! :)

5. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    I'd happily pay double just for a MIII with the EQ i mentioned ! I mean, i'm not wealthy, but good lord man, the MIII is all of 300 bucks, about what a boutique pedal costs ! I'm used to paying about $800-1500 for a tube amp with nothing built in but one or 2 channels and maybe an unusable reverb, and most of them i didn't like tone wise as much as the MIII.

6. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

Mar 4, 2009
    pennsylvaina
    And eq setting would be very useful There are a couple of other things That wheel thing spins way too easy !! I had my ear blasted in front of the amp preparing for a jam as I am the lead guitarist for it . That wasn't fun . I don't know what happened but all you have to do is barely touch it and it goes to another amp setting . Also a bright switch you can actually turn off on the amp would be nice. Having to go into fuse is a bit of pain I rarely use it. Also maybe not make everything so touch sensitive a regular amp usually isn't that nuts ! Still a great amp but maybe they tried a little too hard with it .

7. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    It that's the case, F4L, here's an option I'll suggest

When going for extra quality in the high end, I plug my Seymour Duncan
    Twin Tube classic into the FX loop on my Mustang III. I picked it up used
    from Guitar Center for just under $100 about 3 years ago or so. Before I got the Mustang, the SD TTC made a nice improvement on whatever amp i used with it, whether it be solid state or tube.

With the Mustang III, it gives me all the high end glory I'm looking for. According to this video, the high end improvement is the reason McLaughlin is using it on tour.

It was this vid that got my interest started with the Seymour tube preamp / overdrive pedal. Maybe you don't want to go this route, but it does work outstandingly well. It just might keep you grinnin' until the Mustang v3's hit the shelves.

8. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    The EQ equipped model had better come with gold-plated contacts, and knob shafts with ball bearings, a back-tilt stand, plywood cabinet (not particle board), and metal corner caps! I'd call it the Mustang III v4 Pro...

9. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    In a tweed and autographed by one of Leo's legitimate grand kids. :)

10. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Oh god, tell me about it ! There are times i press it to go to a amp setting and it goes elsewhere and i have to go to another patch and back and start again, and that sometimes happens several times in a row causing me to scream the F word so loud i think every neighbor within a mile thinks i'm crazy ! There are times it will happen as many as 5 times in a row !

11. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

Mar 4, 2009
    pennsylvaina
    Yes, That wheel is probably the biggest gripe I have . I can't complain about the tone it's simply amazing ! All of the Fender amps sound like the models they are emulating.
    The Marshall tones are pretty dang nice too . But that wheel needs a fix !! If you are not extremely careful you can go from Clean to death metal in a heart beat and to go through all of just to get back to where you were . That does get old quick !!

12. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    Wheel needs a flip-top cover, like the ones fighter pilots use, so we don't end up accidentally firing multiple SAMS into the audience!

[​IMG]

13. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Virginia
    A few physical nobs - one for each setting - when changing pedals would be nice. I hate pressing the wheel to get to the last parameter and then dialing... then pressing again to get the next setting and dialing. If they would just have a little nob per parameter... that would be nice :)

14. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA

Looks like manufacturers are moving away from this. The Vox Valvetronix line like the VT20+ was close to this.

15. dolfer

dolfer TDPRI Member

I really like how the Roland Cube allows you to switch amp types. And the Mustang 2 has something similar.

[​IMG]

16. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2008
    Funkytown
    Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!!:D

I was thinking a Blues Jr preset, but this is so much better;)

17. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I would immediately overwrite it with something else. Don't get me wrong, I love Robben Ford's playing, I am just not a big fan of the tone that he gets from the Dumble.

Personally I would like to see the controls for particular amps be more true to the controls on the real amps. For example, real Deluxe Reverbs do not have gain or mid controls but on the Mustang they do. Surely it wouldn't be too difficult to program the software to disable controls that the real amps don't have.

18. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2008
    Funkytown
    If they can't give us a Dumble, then at least a ZenDrive pedal

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I have a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic, and I can't believe I've never thought to try this. Thanks for the idea. I've gotta say, the thought of running it through the loop seems like it'd sound harsh, but I'm willing to check it out

20. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado

It shouldn't sound harsh if you have the gain knob turned down AFAICG
    and still get some volume, and this is true with any amp model
    I've used it with.

The pickups on my 3 electrics, even the Humbuckers aren't that hot
    of an output, so it's hard to say how any ideas I have will work out
    if you've got really hot pups.

I hope you like using your Twin Tube Classic with the Mustang as I do.
    I found the FX Loop gives it a smoother tone, overall. YMMV

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.