Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Next Version of Mustang? Predictions? Wish List?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by dolfer, Dec 8, 2014.

1. dolfer

dolfer TDPRI Member

Considering how popular the Mustang amplifier series is, I'm guessing we're not too far away from an update. Maybe 2015?

What do you predict will be in the next version? What do you hope to see?

I'd like to see iOS / Android apps and BlueTooth capability. It would be cool if I could arrange and edit my presets on an iPad or iPhone and immediately see the results on the amp!

A few more things:

* More preset locations

* More amp models

* A looper

* A larger LCD screen

* An upgrade program for people with earlier versions of the amp! :D

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    If they could make an updated Floor, with everything the MIII V2 had, it'd be cool. Even cooler if it could be done with through a reset/upgrade of the Floor that I now own.

I tell ya though. I don't even think about it anymore, I've just become so very accustomed to how easy the Mustang stuff is to use as-is. Perfect, every time.

3. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    *Data wheel that is harder to turn. (when i try to press it i accidentally turn it more often than not it because it's so sensitive)

*Graphic EQ in every preset

*2 stomps at once seperately switchable.

*global brightness knob next to the global master so when turning up louder (which makes it brighter) you can adjust the whole amp's brightness w/o having to change treble in every preset.

*Footswitches would be much more customizable with the ability to assign every single switch to any of the functions.

I can easily live w/o any of those as good as the mustang is, but for me that would make the amp utterly perfect. I could then die happy.

4. dimojoe

dimojoe Tele-Meister

Oct 10, 2012
    Northern Il
    I looper would do it for me.

5. dolfer

dolfer TDPRI Member

Those are all great, especially two stomps at once. I frequently find myself wanting two effects from the same category.

6. olefudd

olefudd Tele-Meister

Sep 27, 2009
    out yonder!
    I'd like to see a Tweed version and maybe metal jacks.

7. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    Another 'Chorus Module' option would be all I need (warmer anolgue-ish sound type).

I'm wondering if the next version of the Mustang could be just an OS upgrade… not sure if they can add new stuff without altering the hardware… be nice if they could tho...

8. unlawfulsoup

unlawfulsoup TDPRI Member

Feb 14, 2014
    NY
    This is what I really want myself, and I think it is possible.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I'd like to see the Mustang series made more intuitive to use.
    They sound good, and do a ton of stuff, but Roland Cubes are much simpler to gig with.
    No LCD screens and a long looper would be cool, too.

10. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    With all due respect, this shows how differently we all can think. I find it one of the most intuitive digital devices i've ever used, probably THE most.

GrantR and Jim Dep like this.

11. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Holic

Jan 19, 2011
    - delay spillover on preset changes
    - delay and reverb "trails" when bypassed in a preset
    - more musical tap tempo options, i.e., quarter note, eighth note, dotted eighth note, triplets, etc. (I was told there would be no math. :))
    - metal input jacks
    - a two-button footswitch with lights, especially if like me you use it in "Stomp/Delay" mode
    - wah separate from the "Mod" section (boo on this, Fender! I love me some warbly flanged wah tones!)
    - option to revert amps to "default" setting, i.e., if a modeled amp doesn't have a middle control (Vox style) or has only a single "Tone" knob, then model it as such for an even more realistic experience

12. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I think it'd be nice to just have the "Basic Amp" presets there and none of the other silly stuff like "Super Ultra-Cool Awesome Wheedly-Deedly". Just let us build our own dumb stuff

I realize those goofy presets are mostly a marketing thing

GrantR likes this.

13. dolfer

dolfer TDPRI Member

Or better yet... Fender could get a group of Mustang Preset Pros (like Shane) to create the presets.

Real artist presets would also be cool if they were created in conjunction with someone who knew the Mustang preset creation process inside and out, again Shane comes to mind. I'm sure there are others who could be enlisted.

There are some really good presets in the 100. But many are just meh or completely unusable.

P.S. It's funny you mentioned, "just the basic amps" As soon as I got the amp i figured out (from this forum) what the names of the non-Fender amps were. I then got the SpeedShop tool for Mac, and copied all of the amp models in slots 1-15.

00 '65 Twin Reverb
    01 '65 Princeton Rvb
    02 '65 Deluxe Reverb
    03 MesaDualRectifier
    04 Peavy 5150
    05 Vox AC30
    06 '57 Fender Champ
    07 '57 Fender Deluxe
    08 '57 Fender Twin
    09 '59 FenderBassman
    10 '65 Silvertone
    11 Hiwatt DR103
    12 Marshall 1959SLP
    13 Marshall JCM800
    14 Orange OR120
    15 Fender SuperSonic

GrantR likes this.

14. 9fingers

9fingers Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2012
    WV
    A stand alone compressor block, so other stomps could be used WITH the comp.

GrantR likes this.

15. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

May 6, 2009
    Texas
    I'd like a DI out (amp/speaker emulation) on the II, or even I. It's one of the things that keeps me from moving on from my Trademark 10. Guitar, amp + 1 or 2 cables is kind of my bar right now.

16. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2014
    Chicago
    Second point first: On the "Artist Presets", already had this with Line 6, and Digitech... It's why I have a Mustang (though I do still use my Digi RP255 for drums and Whammy).
    On both of those guys (barring the new Amplifi series), you can't remove or modify them... They are intended as a starting point (not many of them are any good until you tweak them to your guitars either).

As we've seen, this is a point lost on many DSP/modeler naysayers "The Presets suck"... They probably didn't in the research & development studio with the guitars they were using.

So artist presets... Meh.

Preset Pro's: Ummmm... That's US guys. Fender doesn't do that kind of stuff for the amps that cost 2K, what makes you think they are going to do it for a line of amps YOU CAN BUY ALL OF for under 2K?

The Line6 Amplifi has some tricks (the big one being the smartphone app that grabs the song you're playing metadata, checks their server, and then sets your amp to that tone (or an approximation of that tone).
    As the Guitar Player field test reports, it depends on where in the song you request the data (at the opening will give you the rythym tone, during the lead will give you the lead tone). As they also report... It's only in the ballpark, and still needs to be tweaked to your guitar and taste, in other words... Gimmicky.

What the Amplifi has right (and what Fender needs to follow on in the Mustang series), is wireless connectivity for control and audio (Amplifi bluetooth for audio is one way... Device into amp), multiple interface options, and possibly more stereo options.

Now we start to deviate on concept... The Mustang III and up were intended as gigging amps, so much so, that you can't even tell its a modeler from the audience... not even 5 feet away... Not until you're RIGHT on top of it.

The Amplifi has a case that looks like a sub-woofer for your home entertainment system, and I think that's their intention. I've listened to one in the acoustic room at GC, and it recreates music from a device (either BT or mini-jack) at home stereo quality (I think we can all agree the Mustang's aux in is lacking).
    While I love my Mustang, I wouldn't mind making either one of the Amplifi's a media hub in my family room (it sounds THAT good for music).

I only tried a couple presets with it, and that was with an Acoustic/electric... They were good, but didn't really have the presence of an amp, more like playing through your amp, recorded, into your home stereo (it was the little one), there was no latency... but something was missing using effects (too little time to really make a call on it)
    Both models being sealed cabs, they produce lows very well, and were very good for acoustic (surprised they aren't offering bass models), considering the design, it could probably be used for bass.
    It's certainly not a Mustang Killer, it's for the hobbiest, it's gimmicky, but has solid useful features as a home stereo quality jam machine.

The Mustang needs just two or three of its feature to be nigh-perfect for me... But I like my amps, to look like amps.

17. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 28, 2010
    Warrington, Pa. USA
    Some features I think would be cool are:

1. Multiple stomp pedals on at once
    2. Program multiple volumes to a button in a preset for a solo boost
    3. Something like TC's Toneprint where you can quickly add a preset from your phone.

Another thing I worry about gigging the MIII is the LCD and tonewheel getting damaged transporting it. It would be nice to have some kind of removable cover that you could put over them while traveling incase something falls and hits that area

18. wwit

wwit Tele-Holic

Jun 5, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I have wondered if the Mustang Series is just a start for Fender. I'm hoping for a beefed up version to show up someday. As good as the v2's are, they still have their limitations. But using my MIII v2 as an example for the price point of $329, you get plenty and then some for the 'bang for your buck'. But how good could it be if they offered a better model that sold for $750-1000 range? I'm thinking that it would just wreck most other brands out there in that price range. I'd be willing to pay that much if they built it.

But if the stay with the basic economy priced Mustangs what I would like too see:

As many already suggested, it would be nice to have the stomp boxes categorized separately and be able to run like FX at the same time. Why compressors are in with OD is beyond me. I like to run both, but cant with FUSE. Same with delays. There are times it would be nice to have a long and short delay at the same time.

And borrowing a Line 6 feature, I'd like to be able to run 2 separate signals so that effectively running 2 separate amps for the fuller sound. Even if it meant running into a 2x12 for stereo.

19. 9fingers

9fingers Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2012
    WV
    One more wish- a global master tone control independent of the presets, so I could adjust quickly on stage when switching guitars. (A tone control like the master volume).

20. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    That would certainly be handy. It really kinda begs for this one. The fabled Shane has even pointed out that you need to be able to do this kinda thing for different rooms

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.