Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Next Step?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by JustPlay, Sep 2, 2017.

1. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

I finished my Redwood tele body. I have applied two coats of Danish Watco oil, let that cure, and I then applied six light coats of rattle can poly - lightly sanded in between. After that cures, is there another step(s) I could also take for the final finish step? I don't have a buffer, but I'm good with hand tools. Polish / hand buff / wax?

Which is not to say I'm not happy with it as is - because I am!

So, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! Will

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    If you're happy leave it alone or simply polish it. Nothing else is necessary.

3. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

I thought nothing else needed to be applied after the Danish oil as far as protection goes. I'd keep it the way it is if you are happy with it. That's all that matters

4. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    ???

If you read the post again he applied polyurethane over the Danish oil - probably for increased gloss (like most finished guitars) and durability, which Danish oil alone doesn't provide. Not sure exactly what you mean.

5. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Hey I just mean what I said. After applying tung oil or similar nothing else needs to be done that it can be the only finish on wood, that's what I've heard. But hey, I didn't refinish my guitar yet, I'm still in the planing phase. So don't mind me.

6. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

The Redwood is quite beautiful - but very soft. Which is why I went with the additional top coat of poly...

7. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I was just wondering because he'd already applied the poly and you worded it like he'd only applied the oil. I thought you'd missed the topcoat application. And leaving redwood with only oil on it is not a good idea - see below.

Exactly what I'd recommend - either polyurethane or lacquer. Redwood is easily damaged if left with only Danish oil on it.

tomas83 likes this.

8. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

Thanks! I've put one last light coat of poly on it - which makes 6 or 7 in total. I have the hardware on order too, so it should all come together at about the same time. I'm not worried about the slightly off (right side) rout for the pickup ... I'm making a custom pickguard ring for it as well. I'm going to be installing a double-lipstick humbucker, with the ability to do a coil tap. The electronics cavity is on the back, so it will just be two chrome knobs that show near that interesting lower right corner. It will be interesting to hear how the pickup sounds mounted "midway" on the body. Thanks again - Will IMG_6676.jpg

tomas83 and Hexabuzz like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.