Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Newbie Tele build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by brownale99, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Great progress! I've got to make me one of those radius router jigs...

Nice job on the through body holes too

brownale99 likes this.

2. brownale99

brownale99 TDPRI Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Newcastle, UK
    Cheers Mat, the jigs are a doddle to make up but make sure you make it long enough for 24 fret boards. I took the measurements off the net and I only just managed to get a 22 fret board done. I'll have to invest in one of those gator gismos you have for the drilling it'll save a lot of hassle.

3. brownale99

brownale99 TDPRI Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Newcastle, UK
    Well, two rather strange things happened the other day. I had a day off work and we had a rather rare weather phenomenon in north east England called sunshine so I managed to get the guitar body sanded, stained and then once dried applied some finishing oil and wax. I've tried to go for a satin finish rather than glossy. I understand now why folks say to spend extra time on final sanding and finishing, every blemish and mark pops as soon as you start with the oil. It's also blatantly obvious I've used two random bits of sapele as well and the fact I jointed them with grain in opposite directions (I thought grain was something you got in cereal when I joined the boards) doesn't help but hey this is the time to make the mistakes on the cheap first build.
    Managed to put a few parts together for a test fit and all seems good. The neck in the pics is a reclaimed one from a squire strat I think, the one I was making I gave to the dog. I rushed the neck carve trying to work in the garden between rain showers and it's beyond salvage now. On the plus side I learned quite a bit of what not to do ready for my next go. IMG_3866.JPG IMG_3867.JPG IMG_3869.JPG IMG_3870 (Edited).JPG

4. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    That color is awesome!

brownale99 likes this.

5. Tezuka27

Tezuka27 Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    Looks great!

jb

brownale99 likes this.

6. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    Good job. Looks great!!

brownale99 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.