Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Newbie pickguard question

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by AlexFelix, Jun 28, 2017.

1. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    Hello,

while searching for some info on Black/Whiteguards I noticed that pickguard doesn't have the same distance from bridge plate. This may vary from guitar to guitar.

Is that a matter of a sort of 'randomly' bridge placement or pickguards dimension may very from guitar to guitar or year to year? Sometimes that difference is small sometimes look like 5mm or more.

Thanks,
    Al

Pic show 2 '54 telly, randomly found on Google.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy

3. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    I'm no kind of authority on anything dealing with what's normal for any brand of guitar; I just buy them and play them. I just answered to give your thread a bump so maybe someone more knowledgeable might come along and give a more accurate answer.
    From what I've read and noticed, Telecaster pick guards can vary in size, shape, fit, and number of mounting holes. I think this variation in pick guards exists only where the guitars are built in different countries, and different models. However, they are consistent throughout the model, year, and factory that model is built.
    If you're trying to replace a pick guard, note the number of mounting holes and dimensions. That information is usually available for replacement pick guards.
    Sorry, that's all I got. Good luck.

4. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    The bridge didn't really move because it's indexed by the string-through holes so any variation comes from the pickguard. In contrast, there is no exact location for the pickguard, which is going to depend in part on finish sanding of the roundover on the body (they weren't locating the pickguard screw holes with a CNC in those days, in fact they might not even have pre-drilled the holes). I imagine they laid the pickguard on, positioned it so it looked right, and popped in the screws giving you some variation in the location, particularly if the neck pocket edge of the pickguard was snugged up against the butt end of the neck, which could also vary according to how tight it was in the neck pocket when the neck bolts were installed. So that's my guess as to some factors that would account for variation in the pickguard placement even if they were all stamped out to the same dimension.

5. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    there's a link to a video in the thread below of an old factory tour from the fifties and you can see a worker with a powered screwdriver doing just that to a lapsteel at 6:30.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/laser-cut-templates.746293/

6. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    That could make sense. I just found that thing interesting! Thank you!

7. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    Most likely due to a poorly cut pickguard template. Fender had issues like that in the pre-CNC days. Notice the "shelf" in those neck pockets? That showed up a lot in the early days. Turns out Fender had only 2 or 3 body templates and one was flawed.

netgear69 and AlexFelix like this.

8. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    I don't know the reason why but when you look at books that have many pictures of vintage guitars (such as the Norman's Rare Guitars book) you can clearly see the pickguards can be in different locations with respect to the bridge plate and edge of the body by the treble horn. Either that or the pickguards were cut in different shapes. Or maybe both.

9. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    I have a 68 that's similar to that - the bridge screw-holes were not perfectly positioned so I imagine it was common in the days prior to computer control cutting.

With mine I can loosen the bridge screws, move the bridge and get it close enough so it isn't obvious.

10. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    Hell I have one with an uneven gap. Bridge is crooked. And that's on a American Vintage 52. A $2000 guitar! Doesn't hurt anything and I wouldn't trade that guitar for one with a non crooked bridge because it sounds and plays fantastic but it shows how crappy Fender's QC is.

11. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy

Really?

12. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    This is really common, and it aggravates me.

But then I tell myself to calm down.

13. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    That is the beauty of these old guitars most of the tooling is done by hand each is unique CNC is accurate and can churn out perfect endless factory line of similar clones which will no doubt play better
    but the character is lost
    as bluesky63 says flawed template...... don't think there could be any other real answer other than that

14. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2005
    N. Cal.
    If you compare the old Teles to one another you will find many, small variances. Quality control was not what it is, or can be, today

15. AlexFelix

AlexFelix TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy

Ahaha me too, but that's just one of the hundred things that fashinate me about those instruments

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.