Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Newb with Tele Build questions.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ES347, Dec 21, 2008.

1. ES347

ES347 TDPRI Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Kansas City
    First of all, I'd love to introduce myself. I live in KC, have built (or bolted together) 3 teles, and am excited to have found this forum. I'm a bit of a tele slut, though, as I've also been known to rock my '79 ES347, my '88 SG, my Jazzmaster RI, and my '95 strat plus with handwounds.

Long story short, I've built three teles...and through no skill of my own, I hit a home run on the first one. Built it to '52 specs (painstakingly, other than more of a '60s style neck pup) and it just rips. After building it I kinda got hooked, although I have about as much as I'll ever need out of a tele with it. The two builds since have been a bit of a disapointment--one was just a few parts I threw together so it had low expectations. The other was cool (silver with a rosewood board), it just wasn't quite as awesome as my '52 copy. Anyways, a bandmate fell in love with it and his wife just bought it from me for Christmas, so I have some build cash burning a hole in my pocket.

Here's what I'm looking to do...I already have the "classic" tele, and I kind of feel like I won't be able to do any better going super traditional, leading me to a couple questions before I start tracking down parts:

1. I'm tempted to get a mahogany body and a mahogany neck with an ebony board. I'm pretty well set on either a 'bucker or p-90 in the neck, but what will a traditional tele bidge pickup sound like with mahogany? Will it lose all it's growl?

2. This is probably heresy, but has anyone done much experimentation with building teles to a shorter scale?

I have a bunch more questions to come, but I don't want to have my first post be a russian novel. Thanks in advance for all your help.

2. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Welcome to the forum.

A mahogany body and neck won't cause any issues, there have been a lot of examples shown here, but it will probably be heavier than you would like. You'll probably want to do it as a Thinline or at least a chambered body to keep the weight down. The neck p90 has also been done, as far as I know with no problems. I don't know if the mahogany will make any significant difference to the bridge pu, but I'm sure someone here can let you know.

Again welcome, you'll find a lot of help here.

3. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    The Squier Vintage Modified Thinline has a 24 1/2 in scale.

4. ES347

ES347 TDPRI Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Kansas City
    Thanks a ton for the quick responses--hadn't thought about the weight issue...what I was wondering more than anything is what kind of tonal effect the mahogany would have compared to the more traditional setup of ash/maple on my #1. I absolutely love the way the bridge cuts both clean(ish) and dirty. I wouldn't mind more warmth and sustain, but I'm curious if a traditional tele pickup would get dull and boring with the mahogany--hoping the ebony board would help, but I have zero experiences with teles beyond ash bodies and maple necks...

Also, does anyone have any experience on what the shorter scale will do for tone?

For what it's worth, I'm an indie rock guy with heavy blues influence in my playing. I generally play with a boutique 40 watt EL84 amp that's voiced a lot like an ac-30, with the ability to get to tones that match my 18 watt lite IIb.

5. mrothacker

mrothacker Tele-Meister

Oct 6, 2008
    Asheville
    I recently bought (4 months ago ) the Vintage Modified Thinline in Shoreline Gold . It is an alder body (thinline) , maple neck , rosewood fingerboard , 2 Duncan Designed -Chinese built single coils . It has a 24-3/4" scale length like a Gibson . It twangs ! I really love the way the thing feels , but I have always favored the 24-3/4" scale over the 25-1/2" .

If I was to guess , I would think you would get close to a typical tele bridge sound with the mahogany body , maybe a little more midrangey , if you made it a thinline I believe you would get a little more upper bass and maybe a little less snap along with the extra mids . The ebony fretboard would add a little of that snap back into the sound , IMO . I think the P-90 neck SC bridge in a mahogany body would be a good combo , just be conscious of the extra weight of a solid mahogany body .

6. ES347

ES347 TDPRI Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Kansas City
    Very cool...that sounds perfect. As long as it still screams with a standard pickup I think the mahogany body will be perfect. Now to decide whether it's a thinline or not...

My plan was to buy both the neck and body through warmoth. Any reason not to?

7. mrothacker

mrothacker Tele-Meister

Oct 6, 2008
    Asheville
    By the way I forgot to mention the 24-3/4" scale makes note bending feel like BUTTAH .

Warmoth makes fine stuff , I have never heard any complaints . I bought a neck from them for a bass of mine , fretless wenge with rosewood fingerboard . Absolutely no complaints from me , the neck is still true after 6? years , and great workmanship !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.