Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Yamaha THR100H

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by GuitOp81, Aug 30, 2015.

1. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    I think you're correct. Imagine, if you will, the ability to create a preset on a THR10, then load it up into a THR100 for gigging. If it were me, I might have introduced a combo and a head.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

2. Barzi2001

Barzi2001 TDPRI Member

May 14, 2016
    Sweden
    Forgot to mention: in his demo he was using backing tracks. ;)
    I would be curious as well to know how does it cut through in a real band scenario.

Last edited: May 29, 2016

3. Jimmythefish

Jimmythefish TDPRI Member

May 23, 2016
    Victoria BC
    I've had a 10c for a few months now and am loving it more and more. I agree with a lot of posters here, the little 10s could use some enhancements for sure - essentially it would be nice to have all the options available from the software and the 100 model in the small box. I'd like to be able to have all the amps, tubes, cabinets and effects available from all the THR models in a dial on the top. Also, if they made a medium size combo with two
    speakers and two amps with the modelling capabilities of the 100 combined with easily accessible presets at foot level, and a line out, it would be amazing.

I'm of the opinion that the 100 is a fantastically flexible piece of kit for a guitarist that performs live and doesn't want a ton of super heavy gear to lug around, but most of us don't need 100 watts.

Cliffyg62 and Duotone like this.

4. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Holic

Dec 28, 2007
    Australia
    anyone been using one of these?

5. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Tried it out in store with the 2X12 cab and felt like it could only do a few sounds reasonably well, did not blow me away. Then again, maybe I am biased against closed-back cabs.

6. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr TDPRI Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Maryland
    I have the THR100HD and I've been using it at gigs for a few weeks.

I normally use high-end boutique tube amps (my most recent is a Clark Penrose 2X10 (5F4 Tweed Super Clone) and this amp gets me 95% there with WAAAAYYY more flexibility and reduction in weight, pedals, etc...

With the two completely separate amps in a single head unit, I have stellar cleans and a great Classic Rock Crunch at my feet with footswitchable Reverb (selectable between 4 different types, and EACH channel can have it's own type), Footswitchable FX Loop (series OR parallel), footswitchable Boost (selectable between emulations of a Tubescreamer, an OCD, or a MicroAmp), plus the ability to combine both channels into one.

I use it through a 1X12 Cab w. Celestion A-Type speaker, but have not yet tried it via the PA direct. You can do BOTH simultaneously, but we're not normally a DI/Mic'd amps band, so I just usually have it for stage volume. But I do plan to try the IR-adjusted DI into the PA at some point.

The tones are not 100% tube-perfect. I have yet to find ANY SS, Modeller, Digital, etc solution that is... however, this gets me almost there, and some of tones are as good, some are 'very close', but I hear ZERO difference in the live mix when I'm playing. It's that good.

I set up my clean channel using 6L6 class A/B voicing and my crunch channel using EL84 Class A/B voicing. The tube / class combined with the Solid/Clean/Crunch/Lead/Modern voicing switches give pretty limitless flexibility. Also, each channel has it's own Boost/Gain/Master/Treble/Middle/Bass/Reverb/Presence/Volume controls, so setting up a good tone for each is very easy. there is absolutely zero control sharing between the two.... in fact they each have their own inputs/outputs if you choose to use it that way.

I'm seeing them on the used market for about $500. in fact there is one on TGP right now for $450. At that price point, it is WELL WORTH trying out. I got mine used for a similar price, and it's a 9 lbs head that gives me 3 or 4 VERY useable footswitchable tones. Perfect for my needs (I love the new ultimate modelers, but I don't need thousands of different tones that require weeks of tweaking). and even my bandmates have commented that it sounds as good or better than my $3K plus amps. I reduced my pedal board down to a PTMini with Mini pedals just to have the Comp, Trem, Chorus, Delay, etc. at my disposal. I could easily gig this with NO pedals.

I also can see using this, direct to the board, with a Boss M3 or something similar for TONS of options and carry everything in a backpack and guitar case.

medblues, Erjimipey and Cliffyg62 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.