Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Yamaha THR100H

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by GuitOp81, Aug 30, 2015.

1. rossyamaha

rossyamaha NEW MEMBER!

Sep 4, 2015
    UK
    Evening folks (for me at least). My name is Ross. I'm part of the UK sales team at Yamaha. I'm just scouring the internet for feedback on this thing and stumbled across you lovely people. Not here to sell to you. Just here to answer any questions/ concerns you have and take any feedback you can give good or bad.

2. rossyamaha

rossyamaha NEW MEMBER!

Sep 4, 2015
    UK
    Sorry, just read the rules and unless I'm mistaken, I would need to sign up to the vendor program. Will get that signed off and get back to you. If an admin could let me know how to go about this that would be great.

Thanks

Ross

3. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    What`s with the design of these THR amps?

the THR10 looks like a toaster and the THR100 like a camping gas stove to me.
    The tech specs, the weight and sounds I've heared - all fine.
    the looks though.... cringe worthy. imo.

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I've got a DG-1000 preamp, and this amp seems to be more along the lines of that product line than the THR series, or most modeling amps in general. It appears that they're focusing on an amp that you can sculpt your own sound with, but without all of the extra effects and whatnot you get with most typical modelers. So I guess you could call it a digital "amp" instead of a "modeler", or even something that falls uniquely between traditional amps and actual modeling amps.

For the person who avoids modelers because they have too many options, too many effects, or a LCD screen and multiple menus, this may be just the ticket.

5. Grandma's Tele

Grandma's Tele Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2009
    Montreal
    No modulation effects but an effect loop, it must be cool with pedals!

6. madbanjoman

madbanjoman TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I just picked the thr10c recently and love it. I used to own the line 6 duoverb and one thing I loved about that amp was the dual amp option. The modelling took some dialing in but you could get nice sounds out of it. I am very impressed with the modelling on the thr10c so far and having two completely separate amps in one head with that same great modelling is very appealing.

7. RedWhiteBlues

RedWhiteBlues Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2014
    Canada
    I actually like the look of these because they ARE unique in appearance. Before I bought my THR10C, I thought the led's were bit cheesy, but in "real life" I actually like them.

8. Hoodster

Hoodster Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2007
    Oregon
    I don't get this either. After the success of the THRs, I think the smartest thing for them to have done was put the engine in a small, lightweight, 2 x 8 or 2 x 10 stereo combo.

If it was 30 or 40 Watts and 30 pounds they would sell a cargo ship full of them.

9. Le Jab

Le Jab Tele-Meister

Nov 28, 2003
    London England
    I'm in the market for an amp, and this might be the one. However I want clean all the way. I currently play through a 25w boutique valve that breaks up way too early. I play funk, soul, reggae and the occasional jazz/with singer gig, so no need for any distortion. All the demo vids spend just a cursory few seconds on clean settings, and then can't wait to bust out their chops on some penta widely diddly, The clean settings are almost always demonstrated with appegio rock picking - not a a funk chop in sight. Any help with this from those who have played one. I want clean - at volume.... If not the Yammy what else is out there?

10. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Sound is only 1/2 the equasion. The yamaha or some other modeling amp may be able to cop great tube tone, but i have yet to play anything but tubes that have the same FEEL. A clean fender tube amp is a thing of beauty in the way it feels. Thats the part that people love most about them even tho many people don't realize it. try before you buy, and i would advise you to set it up next to a fender tube and compare. Just a little blues jr set for clean will have that feel in spade and will immediately make apparent what the difference is when you compare. I think they nailed modeling with many amps as distortion goes, but not clean. Tubes are IMO still king in that arena by a mile. of course i could be wrong because i haven't played all modelers. But look at the mustang....if anyone should be able to nail fender clean they should, yet the mustang fails miserably. Some will disagree but i believe if they compare side by side they'd change thier tune if they have the experience.

11. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Then buy a used Eleven Rack and be better off for a quarter of the price . . . .

12. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Dec 20, 2011
    Australia
    I love the look of my THR5. Looks really nifty sitting on the desk. I think part of the reason for its success is it's not trying to look like a little amp.

13. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2014
    london
    Still love the original THR10

Tried the THR5a which I found disappointing

Like the look of these if they had a light weight speaker cab in the same design style i'd have bought one by now

14. junglegym

junglegym NEW MEMBER!

Dec 23, 2015
    Melbourne
    Hello , just been experimenting with these amps , currently running 2x THR 10 high gains out through the headphone jacks into the THR100HD head with a 2x12 cabinet . DG stomp box on the effects loop sounding pretty impressive / interesting so far early days and heaps of diversity / scope with this setup ..

15. Plan9

Plan9 Tele-Meister

Mar 29, 2014
    Reston, VA
    Yeah, funny, I turned the "tubes" off with the software, then quickly turned them back on - just seems lifeless without - sounds the same, but just lacks presence in the room. I think it's one of those playful attributes Japanese designers are known for.

I like the original THR design; don't get the design of the 100.

16. RedWhiteBlues

RedWhiteBlues Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2014
    Canada
    I bet we could start a lengthy thread about how the sounds "change" with the led's on or off...

Cliffyg62 likes this.

17. ericmichel

ericmichel Tele-Meister

Apr 4, 2007
    caen france
    I played it at my local music shop;the owner (and friend) lent me his personnal Leo autographed G&L asat;the tones were excellent on par with a nice tube amp though not as loud as a real tube amp.In France the price tag for this feather light head and matching heavy cabinet is above 1500$ which is a deal breaker for me.

18. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Has anybody run the thr100 into a pa?

19. Barzi2001

Barzi2001 TDPRI Member

May 14, 2016
    Sweden
    I have heard a demo of Soren Andersen. He was directly connected to the PA. It sounded great, but consider that Soren is also a great guitarist and the demo was all about super-classic rock sounds.
    But it was very good!

Cliffyg62 likes this.

20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Gotta try one, thanks for the heads up!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.