New Wiring Harness for Esquire

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Roger Tessier, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Roger Tessier

Roger Tessier Tele-Meister

Dec 18, 2009
    Riverside, Ca
    I have an 86 MIJ Esquire. Gorgeous well cared for guitar that I could easily make my main stage guitar. As is, the switching does nothing and I am considering simply dropping in a new wiring harness and came across this on ebay : Anyone have experience with this mod?

Premium “Eldred Esquire Mod” - Cocked Wah Wiring Harness: Oak Grigsby, CTS Pots, Switchcraft #11 Output Jack, Orange Drop .047μF & .0047μF Capacitors
    Excellent Quality Parts:
    •Oak Grigsby 3 Way Switch
    •CTS Solid Shaft 250K Audio Taper Pots Vintage Dishback Style
    •U.S.A. Spec. 3/8" bushing diameter x 3/8" bushing length Pots x 1/4" diameter shaft
    •PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU PREFER SPLIT SHAFT POTS, LET ME KNOW AND I CAN MAKE YOU THIS SAME HARNESS WITH 250K CTS USA SPEC VINTAGE DISHBACK STYLE SPLIT SHAFT POTS INSTEAD
    •.047uf 600v Orange Drop Capacitor
    •.0047uf 600v Orange Drop Capacitor
    •Switchcraft #11 Output Jack
    •Vintage Style 22 Gauge Cloth Covered Push Back Wire
    •Wiring Diagram Included

The Eldred Esquire Mod gives you the following:
    •Switching position #1 - Standard Esquire - pickup is routed through the volume control only - hotter, louder lead sound with extra highs.
    •Switching position #2 - Standard Esquire - pickup routed through the volume and tone controls.
    •Switching position #3. In the front position of the Eldred Esquire wiring, the pickup is routed through a single, small capacitor and volume control, with the tone control bypassed.

This Wiring Harness is drop in ready for your Esquire build or upgrade. Just solder in your pickups, ground your bridge, and you are ready to go.

Type 715P ORANGE DROP is a high performance capacitor. It is made from polypropylene and foil.

This is a great capacitor for Esquire or Telecaster builds or upgrades!

Pots are grounded to each other in case you are using this with a rear-rout body or non-conductive control plate. Harness will be shipped on a card, bubble wrapped, in an 8" x 6" x 4" box for protection.

My harnesses are well made with top-notch components – CTS Pots; Oak Grigsby, CRL, & MojoTone Switches; NOS Paper in Oil, Wax Paper, & Orange Drop Caps; Switchcraft Jacks; Gavitt 22 Gauge Wiring; NOS Allen Bradley Resistors.

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    It's all good parts, worth around $25.00 or so. What are 'they' trying to soak you for this?

3. Roger Tessier

Dec 18, 2009
    Riverside, Ca
    $45.

I think the $20 more is worth having it delivered and ready to drop in?

4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I have the cocked wah wiring in one. I have never bought a "harness", it seems silly to pay any more than the pots, switch and caps cost.

5. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Not to me, but if you like the idea then do it, it does save having to hunt down parts. Be aware though that 'drop in' is a meaningless term here, you're still going to have to solder pickups, bridge ground, etc. The work that's actually being done for you by the seller is minimal and you'r paying him a pretty good hourly rate.

6. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Looks like all good stuff and probably done neater than somebody like me that does up a set of controls every 6 months or so. Some guys are going to say it's pizzing away money. Other guys think it's silly to pay for an automotive oil change, others for buying store bought bread or eggs or Jeans.
    Hell, I know a guy that grows his own "medicinal........" and wouldn't think of paying retail. Get it?

When I started swapping caps, pickups etc. I bought the stuff by sourcing it myself and bought pre-wired. It all works and most likely will sound the same. You just need to decide if you want to spend a premium to have most of the busy work done for you.
    It's ALL good! 'at's all I got to say 'bout that.

7. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    We are talking about soldering a few wires... It ain't rocket surgery. As long as the connections are correct and the solder joints are ok, nobody can see it unless they take the guitar apart.

8. Roger Tessier

Dec 18, 2009
    Riverside, Ca
    Yep - and leaves me more twanging time ~ :lol:

9. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I used that wiring on my 2010 build challenge guitar. I used all cloth push back wiring and covered the capacitor leads with extra cloth insulation off of the wire I used.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

As a Carnival Psychic told me on the brightly lit Midway, "'you muss believe, iss veddy true"

On another occasion I once went fishing using a lure called The Rocket Sturgeon but that's a tale for another time.:confused:

Man, I remember that Esquire. Being as I'm a sucker for a sparkle finish, I like it as much as when I first saw it. I think the copper metalwork would look good with red, gold, blue etc. sparkles.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  11. Roger Tessier

Dec 18, 2009
    Riverside, Ca
    I got the kit and installed it today. Two solders and it's wired. I like the tone mod in the middle position better than the old stock one, and the 'cocked wah' is a great addition to the tonal palette. The 'cocked wah' is basically like the middle of the MRB on old Vox amps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.