Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New walnut and maple tele.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Bugeater281, Nov 19, 2017.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

2. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    Put a thin layer of tru oil to seal the main surfaces. Still needs a bit of sanding and I may add a bit more dye to the top, the back is looking spectacular. IMG_7498.JPG IMG_7499.JPG IMG_7501.JPG

papa32203, tewiq, Barncaster and 3 others like this.

3. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    That is going to be beautiful. I love the combo of walnut and maple.

Bugeater281 likes this.

4. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha

5. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    Has anyone used epoxy as a finish? I was thinking of using epoxy as the finish on this. I just sealed it with tru oil.

6. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Very nice. Carvin got me hooked on walnut guitars way back.

images.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg

Bugeater281 likes this.

7. devrock

devrock TDPRI Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New England
    The walnut, by itself, is gorgeous. You almost could have sliced that up and gotten a walnut top for a second axe.

Regardless, she's a beauty!

8. johnboy99

johnboy99 Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2012
    florida
    Very cool build and looking great. In your first post, you mentioned maybe using a quilted maple fingerboard... Quilted maple (generally) is a lot softer than hard maple and other woods typically used for fretboards. I have no idea if the lower density would create a problem or not in terms of stability, tone or how well it would wear, but it is going to be a lot softer than the typical hard maple used and a lot softer than rosewood, ebony etc. I also think you would lose most of the visual effect of the quilt on a fretboard since quilt is a pretty big pattern and you have a pretty narrow area covered with frets and inlays etc... Just my 2 cents.

9. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha

10. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston

11. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    I love Walnut,
    Personally, I’d keep going with the Tru-Oil, really make the grain pop in both the Walnut and Maple.

12. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    Originally that was what I was going to do. But this is for a traveling artist and I was worried about tru oils durability while touring.

boredguy6060 likes this.

13. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    Ya your right, I looked up big leaf maple and it's a really soft wood, I have a hard maple fingerboard laying around I'll use instead.

14. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    I can’t speak to touring, but it was originally made as a gun stock finish, so I think it’s fair tough.
    I love the way it makes the back of the neck feel, I have also used Washburn Guitar Juice over the TO as a polish, but the neck I did with TO is just perfect, for me.
    I did two other necks that were sold that I’ve heard no complaints from

15. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    I may have missed it, but are you planning to use neck screw ferrules or a standard neck plate? It looks like you made a 1/4" or 3/16" roundover all the way around the back side of the neck pocket. I did this on my second build and had to end up making a custom neck plate with non-standard screw spacing because a standard one now hangs over the roundover. You might be able to do neck screw ferrules on standard neck hole position if you inset them deep enough. I have a pic of how I solved my problem with the custom neck plate but it's on another computer I can't get to right now.

Apologies if you already addressed this earlier in the thread and I just missed it.

Very pretty guitar, BTW.

Rex

16. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    I won't be using the standard setup on the neck screws. I hadn't mentioned that yet. I'll use inserts on the neck and use fancy washers below the screw heads, I'm having a brain fart and can't remember their name. It'll be like this. I used this on my last build and like it way more. This was mock up, I recessed the holes. IMG_7543.PNG

17. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Bugeater281 likes this.

18. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    Congrats, beautiful tele with beautiful woodgrain on both materials. Maple top and walnut body makes a great telecaster! I built one without any weigh relief, It's on the heavy side but fortunately not an anchor. There's a great snap on the attack of the tone with lustrous body on the sustain. RedHot.jpg

C. Card, papa32203, Mat UK and 2 others like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.