Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New VM Squiers coming

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by BB123, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Jazzmasterfan

Jazzmasterfan Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2009
    Guernsey

2. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    2 of 3 promised acquisitions done

I got 3TSB Jaguar in Monday and peeled banana Mustang in Wednesday from Thomann.
    Jaguar is perfect in everything, i can`t even get strings pop out from the saddles just by playing, finish is excellent for my taste, some figuring does not disturb me, and the tone from it is everything and more i was waiting for!

Mustang, while if possible in even better finish needs some fixing. Intonation seems OK when checking, but open E do not sound good enough. Barre chords are okay though, and are very good sounding all the way from about G/A, even above 12th fret.
    Pickups have nice tone, and single note solos sound satisfying in 4-5 choices of sounds of total 9 you can get with slide switches.

VM Jazzmaster will come home in 3 weeks, i haven`t decided if it will be red or pale blue, but all 4 colors are okay for me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

3. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Wow those look great, even the tort looks good.

4. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    Got my Mustang sound much better with some intonation & bridge tweaking, and when i tuned it up to normal level instead of sloppy open C.
    I have to shim the neck to get even lower action, but it`s great fun to play and hear now!
    Played today over 3 hours of Macross 1983 anime tunes, Mustang has very good tone for single NOTE soloing too!

Jaguar has been excellent whole week now, great big tone, very easy to play and action is as low you ever wish with even & clean tones!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

5. Loganloveguitar

Loganloveguitar Tele-Holic

Oct 13, 2010
    Canada
    yeah im for sure getting one of the mustangs, I have never played a mustang and have always wanted one for the look and size

6. tape

tape Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2010
    Boston, MA
    my Mastery bridge just arrived today and I installed it promptly in my VM JM. it's amazing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

May 24, 2012
    Kansas City
    I took some better pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Jeranhound

Jeranhound Tele-Meister

Feb 24, 2012
    Washington
    I stopped by guitar center today because I was gonna be across the street at the mall, anyway. Couldn't find any of the new VMs, or even the old VM Jazzmaster. Cheapest they had was a $750 Fender, I believe. They may have had one in back, but it was nearly time for lunch so I didn't want to stick around too long.

I also paid $10 to get a pair of strings. Never done that before. Actually, just remembered that I had, but I had forgotten because I got a free set from a coupon in the mail...

EDIT: Hah, turns out that I got a set for a 12 string, that's why it cost so much. Need to head over there sometime and get them returned. This is what happens when neither you nor the clerk are paying attention.

9. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    GC missed the boat on these. My local Sam Ash has them all in stock.

10. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Nice, was it a straight swap? How did it change the tone?

11. mal paso

mal paso Banned

Nov 24, 2011
    Bloomington, IN
    Everybody is missing the boat on these

12. tape

tape Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2010
    Boston, MA
    I'm usually surprised if I see more than one JM/Jag at a GC. I don't think they care about offsets too much.

Yeah, it just slid right in. All I had to do was adjust for string height and radius - the intonation didn't even need adjusting, it was already perfect. The tone is awesome. Great clarity, still sounds like a JM. Worth the expense.

13. tweeddeluxe

tweeddeluxe Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    MD
    Amazing, really? How so? What does it do that the OEM one doesn't?

14. Jeranhound

Jeranhound Tele-Meister

Feb 24, 2012
    Washington
    That's the thing, they had four or five Fender JMs and half a dozen of some other brand that took the same general shape but made the upper bout more spiky. I'll just have to ask when I go there tomorrow or Monday.

15. Jazzmasterfan

Feb 9, 2009
    Guernsey
    Had a quick play on a VM Jag today. Felt nice, loved the neck but couldn't remember what all the switches did! Didn't cure my GAS so ordered one.

Just gotta think of a good excuse for getting one! The wife won't believe it fell off the back of a truck.

16. mal paso

mal paso Banned

Nov 24, 2011
    Bloomington, IN
    Cool! Which color did you go for?

Oh, and for the excuse, tell her it was either this or a Fender Jag, so you actually ended up saving $500

17. Jazzmasterfan

Feb 9, 2009
    Guernsey
    Surf green. And good excuse!

18. mal paso

mal paso Banned

Nov 24, 2011
    Bloomington, IN
    Looks like you owe me one!

Excellent choice btw. I ended up with the sunburst, but it was an agonizing decision process!:lol:

19. BradKM

BradKM Tele-Holic

Apr 27, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm torn.

One of these is in my future, but I can't decide between the Jag or the JM.

I generally love the feel of Jags, but the Jazzmaster I played yesterday was great. The Jag was in bad need of heavier strings and a set up; I couldn't get a good feel for how it might play if it was in proper shape.

20. mal paso

mal paso Banned

Nov 24, 2011
    Bloomington, IN
    You might have been lucky with the Jazz. From what I've read/heard, pretty much all of these need heavier strings and a setup. FWIW, I got the Jag, and I love it. Haven't even changed the strings yet! Although I need to, and I'll probably go with 11's when I do.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.