Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New VM Squiers coming

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by BB123, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Loganloveguitar

Loganloveguitar Tele-Holic

Oct 13, 2010
    Canada
    Just ordered the jaguar in 3TSB and am so pumped, was goanna get the white tele deluxe but it looked so cheap in comparison to the Jag

2. Starshine

Starshine Tele-Afflicted

Apr 20, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok, not too much eye candy in this post, but I just got to say, this VM Jazzmaster is unbelievable. When I ordered it sight unseen, I figured it would probably look good, play ok and sound mediocre, but this thing blew me away. This is seriously the most jangly guitar I've ever owned. Sounds great, despite excessive single coil hum with high gain. Hopefully a good shielding job will help with that.

My only other experience with a Jazzmaster was a Japanese model that was one of the most uninspiring guitars I've ever owned. This Squier sounds great though. A bunch of times I've been playing and heard a classic J Mascis tone that I've never been able to get with any other guitars and just smile. I'm really impressed with this guitar.

It came with the crappy .09 strings. First thing I did was put on a set of .11s and set it up. It really only needed the intonation set. Action was great with the new strings with just a couple minor adjustments. The bridge hasn't caused too many problems, apart from a tiny bit of buzzing. The neck is a nice comfortable C shape. I was worried the neck would be too thin like on some CV Teles I've tried out, but it is a decent thickness that will be familiar to anyone who's played an American Standard Strat.

All in all, this guitar is great, even better when you consider the price tag. Makes me want to save up my money for a Mustang and a Jag.

3. Loganloveguitar

Oct 13, 2010
    Canada
    maybe I got a bad one..maybe standard jags are not for me but I got a squier vm Jaguar in 3TSB and it was terrible. The guitar buzzed,rattled,strings slipped off saddles and the thing would not stay in tune and through my rig it just sounds bright and brittle and does not fit my sound in any way so I'm taking it back to get a blacktop silver jaguar with the stopbar tailpiece and tune o matic bridge so no more bridge problems and some nice beefy humbuckers. It's weird cause I use teles through my set up no problem but this Jag just sounds harsh and ear piercing

Don't let my experience put you off them I'm sure there are good ones out there and the sound may be for you so check them out and for such a low price they are a steal if your into surf and what not

4. mal paso

mal paso Banned

Nov 24, 2011
    Bloomington, IN
    Logan, that bums me out! Hope the new Jag is more to your liking!

5. Loganloveguitar

Oct 13, 2010
    Canada
    got the new jag and already am In love so everything worked out , don't get me wrong the new VMs are good the jaguar problems I had are the same problems my friend who got a custom shop jag had so its not a quality issue its just a guitar with too much maintenance and I'm one who likes to set up and go to gigs knowing its still in tune mostly and will not give me sound issues

6. Loganloveguitar

Oct 13, 2010
    Canada
    I might actually put gibson p-94s in my blacktop jag :D

7. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    My new Squier VM offsets trio completed!

I promised in early April, if 1st April announced new Vintage Modified Squiers Jazzmaster, Jaguar and Mustang are serious, i will collect them from 1st released batches. I succeeded, despite Thomann (Germany) could not keep their first announced release dates, but that`s natural, if demand is so high as with these guitars!

In conclusion, Jazzy and Jag i got are perfect from the box and mustang was easily adjusted to well playing instrument, none had any blemishes. Instead they are beauties, without any obvious feel of cheapiness. Excellent value, i can compare them with my other, some of them 10x more expensive guitars. These VM`s are serious stuff, at least for me.:cool:

Edit: Jazzmaster was last to come home in last Thursday, here is one more pic just out of the box.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012

8. Mikey3

Mikey3 Tele-Meister

May 6, 2006
    Canada
    These are nice guitars, but I can see how they get a bad rap. I just got my VM Jazzmaster a few days ago. If someone new who does not know anything about proper setups (or even setups on a jazzmaster for that reason) would seriously hate this guitar. With 9's its buzzed like crazy. Switched to 10's still buzzed like crazy. Tried the locktite/plumbers tape on the saddles screws, bridge screws. Still buzzed. I really did not want to sink money into a mastery, or even mustang bridge, or a buzz stop. The thing that worked for me was to take off the neck and put in a shim. I just cut a shim from card stock and installed it. This worked wonders. Changed the neck angle ever so slightly and put enough pressure on the bridge to keep things tight and keep things from buzzing. After this, what a killer guitar. With discounts from major retailers can be had for 250. Its great and I love it. Its just too bad they did not come with a shim from the factory, would make these guitars much more appealing to a newbie. So if your having problems try a shim!

9. Ryan0594

Ryan0594 Tele-Holic

Jun 15, 2010
    Liverpool, England
    I'm stuck trying to decide which one to get! When they were announced, I was 100% set on getting a Jazzmaster, but now the Mustang also looks very appealing. :/

Whatever I get, I will take for a proper set-up after hearing your guys advice! :)

10. andrewnelles

andrewnelles Tele-Meister

Jul 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Picked up a sunburst Jaguar today locally, $274.99. I have no idea how they make a profit on these things.

The guitar is perfect, first time I've really liked a Squier. Typical Jag bridge issues, but stringing it up with 11's solved most of that.

My only complaint is that the master tone and volume pots have no range. The volume goes from loud to off with only a slight turn. Will some nicer CTS pots fix this up? Or do I need to explore different values?

11. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Wow wonderful looking choices of each guitar. All you need is a strat and tele (the "common" fenders) and you are set.

12. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    I don`t understand that general talk about Jazzmaster & Jaguar bridge issues. I have played mine a lot now, no string popping or rattling at bridge at all! I still have stock Fender 7250L 0.09 strings on, good strings to me, and i don`t play only lightly, but i don`t dig mindlessly in the strings with pick, but play over them, be it full chord rhythm or single note at time soloing.
    I will change to 0.11 or 0.12 flats, when stock strings are worn out, but that is for tonality reasons, i play mostly early surf with VM offsets.

In conclusion: i don`t understand that strings rattling/popping out at vintage threaded bridge mythology surrounding Fender vintage offset guitars. Not at all.

Attached Files:

13. sigalaboon

sigalaboon TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Oak Park, IL
    You may have that experience with your guitar but my Jaguar certainly has the rattle. You are one of the fortunate to not experience the issue and it definitely is not mythology, just play mine to hear it.

Scott

Sent from some undisclosed smart phone device using TDPRI (I'm not in to advertising for tech companies for free)

14. Seurdge

Seurdge Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2010
    Québec, Canada
    I'm looking for a schema or a clean and simple description of what all the knobs do exactly on these models... no success with google...

Any link ? Maybe the owner manual ?

I have a sunburst jag on order. :)

Also, I have try a surf green one yesterday and it have a very big rattle in the bridge...

15. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Tele-Holic

Jun 23, 2008
    Monroe
    http://www.webrocker.de/jaguar/cms/2007/05/12/the-interactive-jaguar/

Diamond-shaped control plate: Neck pickup on/off, bridge on/off, high pass filter on/off

Upper horn plate: rhythm circuit on/off (selects neck pickup only), volume and tone for rhythm circuit.

16. Seurdge

Seurdge Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2010
    Québec, Canada

17. The bridges tend to rattle a bit on all of them, even on the more expensive Fender AVRI models. That's why Jag/Jazz owners usually swap out the stock bridge for a Mustang bridge or a Mastery bridge. The stock bridge on both my Squier VM Jaguar and my Fender Japanese Reissue Jaguar have a bit of rattle going on, but I can only hear it unplugged. Can't hear any rattling through any of my amps. As for the strings jumping out of the saddle grooves, it was pretty bad on my Japanese Reissue Jaguar, which incidentally was a pain in the a$$ to set up, and I ended up replacing the stock bridge in favor of a Mustang bridge which simply drops in. By contrast, the Squier was easier to set up and I haven't changed out the bridge on my Squier. Curiously, I have not had any string jumping issues on the Squier VM like I did with my more expensive Fender model. To be honest the saddles seem to be cut better on the Squier than they were on my Japanese Fender Jag. The stock pickups on the Squier also sound much better. Go figure.

Anyway, the controls on the Jaguars are easy to manage once you know what they do and they all work the same on Fender and Squier models. The one on the upper bout is the rythm circuit which simply activates only the neck pickup when you flip the switch giving the guitar a much darker mellow tone. Volume and tone knobs are there to adjust as needed.

The controls on the lower bout work the lead circuit. The switch closest to the neck is the on/off switch for the neck pickup, the one in the middle is the on/off switch for the neck pickup and the third switch (closest to the bridge) is the High-Pass filter which when flipped up rolls off a bit of the low end giving the pickups a more trebly sound.

Here's my Surf Green Squier VM Jaguar. Arguably one of the best playing Squiers I have ever laid my hands on.

[​IMG]

My Candy Apple Red Fender Japanese Reissue Jaguar

[​IMG]

18. Seurdge

Seurdge Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2010
    Québec, Canada
    So the "official" best fix for the bridge rattle is to switch for a mustang bridge ? Will the tremolo still work and all ?

19. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    About some adjustments

Of course tremolo will work, Mustang has tremolo too! But you probably have to adjust saddle heights, because Mustang fretboard radius is 7,25 inches but Jazzmaster and Jaguar have 9,5 necks. This concerns Squier VM offset guitars.:cool:

I have all 3 VMs, i have not had any problems with Jazzmaster or Jaguar bridges, but i noticed yesterday, having had my banana peel Mustang 3 weeks, that Mustang bridge total height was indeed adjustable! You have to use same Allen wrench as to bridge saddles, stick it deep into round holes in the sides of Mustang bridge, it will find hexagon hole in there so you can sink the bridge to desired height.:idea:
    I did this, and now my Mustang has as low action too as my other 2 new offset Vintage Modified Squiers.:cool:

BLISS!:D

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.