Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New Vintage Tube Amp Day!

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Fiesta Red, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Through a series of unlikely events, I ended up with a 1960's Silvertone 1483 Bass Amplifier Head.

[​IMG]

For the uninitiated, this was made by the Danelectro corporation and labelled as "Silvertone" brand to be sold at Sears. Danelectro also made electric guitars and amps for Montgomery Wards, which were sold under the "Airline" moniker.

It would have been awesome if it had the original speaker cabinet, with the built-in shelf for storing and transporting the amp head unit, but for the very, very low price I paid, I'm happy.

Even though these were designed as and marketed as a bass amp, it would not be a great live bass amp, unless it were mic'd through a PA system--it's just a little too quiet and would get lost in the mix...even then, it's a bit fuzzy and overdriven, which is cool if that's what you are looking to do.
    It could work as an in-studio bass amp, but with that fuzzy overdriven sound, it would not be a great choice for any kind of clean bass tone.

It shines when used as an electric guitar. It's rated at 23 watts, with two identical channels...adding an A/B pedal would make it great for a guitarist who switches between rhythm and lead lines.
    Lo-fi, funky and ripping--the esteemed Mr. Auerbach of the Black Keys would be pleased to use this amp. (It's reported that Jack White, Beck Hansen and some other Lo-Fi Aficionados have used these amps live and in studio...I get a RL Burnside/Junior Kimbrough feel out of it).

I tested it with my #1 Telecaster, "Big Tex", and my modified AVRI '62-reissue Stratocaster...fat, funky and chunky--this thing is killer, especially on the neck pickup of either of those guitars.

It overdrives easily, even with the efficient contingent of a Celestion and a Tone Tubby loudspeakers. It is loud but not blaring (louder than a Fender Princeton Reverb...comparable to a Fender Deluxe Reverb). It could easily be used for a gig if the drummer is even-handed. Right now, I'm playing it through a closed-back 2x12 cabinet (made by a friend), which makes it a bit too bassy for guitar unless the Bass tone control is turned way down. Some speaker cabinet experimentation is forthcoming.

It really sounds good--almost great. I think combined with the right speaker cab, it would be amazing.

It's in really good shape, for a 50-year-old amp. There's some light patina, but it just makes it look better, IMHO.

[​IMG]

The previous owner had the original two-pronged power cord replaced with a grounded three-prong, so I feel safer getting close to a microphone while I'm singing (I don't want to pull a Keith Relf). It's got either the original preamp tubes or a set of vintage preamp tubes in it...I can't identify the power tubes...

It's a tiny bit buzzy/hummy with single coils, but isn't that the way single coils are supposed to sound? (Just kidding--I'll probably get a cap job done on it soon).

[​IMG]

Il Duce and tery like this.

2. tery

tery Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Good info - Congratulations !

Fiesta Red likes this.

3. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2012
    Rocky Mount, NC
    I had one back in the late '60s.

Like many guitarists/bassplayers at that time, I was looking for more clean sound. And 22 watts from two 6L6GCs wasn't getting it for me at that time. But the 1483 cranked is a really cool sounding amp when opened up and while loud won't make your ears bleed. I sold mine in 1973 for $75 and still miss it.

Congrats!

Fiesta Red likes this.

4. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Wow, that photo already looks like you used one of those Faded/Polaroid/Relic filters on Instagram. The amp must be oozing aged ions. Nice score.

Fiesta Red likes this.

5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Nope, no filters, just poor lighting and poor photography skills on a camera phone, lol...I need to get my daughter to go to town photographing my gear. she's got a good eye for composition and knows how to use the camera settings properly...plus she's got a pretty nice starter camera (a Canon something or other).

She took this pic with the same camera phone:

[​IMG]

It would not have turned out that well if I had taken the photo!

The Silvertone's gray-ish "not-Tolex" covering is in pretty good shape, and there's some light surface rust/patina on the metal parts, but I think it's in spectacular shape for a 50+ year old amp.

I wonder what that covering is--it makes me think of a heavily textured wall paper or shelf paper, but thicker.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016

6. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Vinyl wallpaper, maybe? -- woven grass patterns were very modern sometime last midcentury.

You might Google something like 'vinyl grass cloth wallpaper.'

Wallpaper.png

Fiesta Red likes this.

7. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    I've always wanted one of those! Very nice---sure would like to know what you got it for---always like good deal stories. I've got two Silvertone 1482's. One stock and one highly modded. The big deal with them for me, is it was my first amp back in the 60's so I picked these up in my old age since I got into amp building/modding to see what I could do with them. Platefire

Fiesta Red likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.