Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New unexpected amp day - It's so TINY! Vox Super Beetle

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by studio1087, Oct 5, 2018.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I was waiting for that. :lol: Johnny the Amp Flipper!! Oh No!!

It was funny (maybe) because I apologized and had a few words prepared about why I was worried about keeping it and the guy behind the counter asked for my Amex, credited the money back and chatted about the song on the store music system. It took about 90 seconds. He wasn't concerned about anything. I've returned 2 things to GC in about 20 years. I was prepared for a big ordeal. I felt bad like I was returning to the scene of a crime. There was no ordeal whatsoever. :cool:

2. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    This was the guitar. It's still there. $449. The Airline MAP is about $1100 new and they fetch $750-$800 used. I was very excited when I saw it online.

[​IMG]

3. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    John, your initial enthusiasm pushed me over the fence to order my own. It should arrive tomorrow, but freshman comp papers are coming in the same day, so I won't get much time to play it until Saturday.

About the light cab, John's analysis seems inarguable:
    • The marketing emphasizes home use. This could be a concession, or it could be a feature. Personally, I'm happy that Vox is making gear that fits how I will actually use it 99% of the time, in a small space at lower-than-stage volumes.
    • There's no handle.
    • You generally get what you pay for. This package is selling for about US$100 more than the MV50 AC, and some of that extra $100 is going toward the head.
    On the rare occasions when I do play out, I try to keep my whole rig as simple and light as possible. On my last couple outings, I used the amp sims in a Boss GT-1. I'm quite happy with that unit for clean and distorted tones, but so far I haven't been able to get a Voxy grind out of it. Everything I've read says this little Super Beetle is good for getting Beatles tones, and that's exactly what I want it for. If I do take it out, I'll probably just bring the head and send its line out to a PA.

Or it could start crackling like John's, in which case I'll ship it back and save my $ for something else.

I look forward to someone comparing this unit with an MV50 AC running through the same cab. I'm guessing the MV50 will have more gain and break up faster.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    studio1087 and LGOberean like this.

4. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

I'd appreciate hearing your review when you've had a chance to live with it for a while.

I too like where Vox is going with these Nutube offerings (except for the MVX150). I would play one at home much of the time, but would also want to take it out to some of the gigs I do for various retirement communities. In those settings, playing to seniors in their respective activity rooms, I might not worry as much about the amp not being as robust, unless it's just really flimsy. But as much as I want one, I probably wouldn't buy for just home use.

This amp doesn't seem to quite fit either living room or stage. Whoever designed this one must be bipolar. :twisted: "It's a living room 'stadium' rig." "Let's give it 50 watt capability." "Let's make a small cab for it with just a 10" speaker in it." :rolleyes:

studio1087 likes this.

5. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina

6. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Thanks. Actually, while that is the main thread on the MSB25 in terms of its longevity and number of posts, if you wind up liking the Mini Superbeetle, you might consider starting a thread for it in the Amp Owners Club section. That seems to be the more natural place for people to find a thread on a specific amp that they are interested in and/or like.

7. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    Good idea!

LGOberean likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.