Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New unexpected amp day - It's so TINY! Vox Super Beetle

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by studio1087, Oct 5, 2018.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I went to GC to look at an Eastwood Airline MAP in seafoam green - It was $449 which is silly low. My favorite sales guy Jason pointed out a tiny crack/offered $75 off but he thought it would need work some day. Great honest guy. I got worried about the "unknowns" and let it be.

Then I saw this. It was the first one that they've had in. It arrived 24 hours prior. Some of you know that I'm a fool for Pathfinder 15R's. This is better.

[​IMG]

25 watts @ 8 ohms
    Gain
    Master
    Treble & Bass
    Reverb
    Tremolo
    Has a 10" Celestion
    Has a deep switch on the back and you can switch from 4-8-16 ohms

$329 Full Price.

The Tremolo has one knob only but as you move the single knob you get different speeds and various (very tasteful) depths. The one knob Trem really sounds nice. I'm a tremolo freak; they did a fine job. I went from bummed to very excited when I played with the trem. If you want to play How Soon is Now - Johnny Marr -it won't get you there but it will do every thing that you would generally want.

We know the reverb is digital but it sounds very nice. It goes from nothing to old-school surf.

The clean is jangly. It's very warm and full.

The gain will get you from a boost edge to a rocking classic Vox Jangle.

The Celestion sounds big and Celestion like. There is room in the cabinet to put an Eminence Patriot in there which I'm going to start looking for (used - Music Go Round - I can find one that's nicely broken in for $45).

The little Vox MV50 heads are 50 watts at 4 ohms; at 8 ohms you have 25 watts just like this amp. I wonder if they have common parts.

I mentioned $329. I asked Jason if he could match the MF.com 15% thing that's going on right now and he replied "We have our own 15% thing going on - no problem".

$279! That's like 2 decent pedals these days. I am a happy old fart. It's one of those amps that just makes you smile when you see it and then you play it and smile wider. I could bury my drummer with it but Brad is a light/controlled drummer.

Lots of excitement before 11AM!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    That is just COOL....don't quite understand the one knob tremolo, but if you're ok with it....I am too. One question....is it "Beatle" or "Beetle"??????

robinsong, studio1087 and LGOberean like this.

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    AWESOME! :D:cool: Man, I'm GASing for one of these so bad, and this post isn't helping! (Or then again, maybe it is! :twisted:)

You probably know, John, that I too am a fool for the Pathfinder 15R; I have three. I've gigged with them for years, in a variety of configurations at various venues, and they've always worked like a charm for me. (The latest application is running from the Line Out on the rear panel to my recently acquired Alto TS310. Did a gig that way a week ago today, had the Pathfinder turned toward me as a monitor. I'll be doing that again.)

And you say this is "better"?!? :eek: Oh, my! I gotta get me one of these! I came back from Wisconsin last month with yet another Logan Custom guitar, and so I've been thinking, "Don't be such a selfish cuss! You can wait on the Mini Super Beetle." Now...I dunno. I feel as greedy as Hell for wanting one so, but I don't know how much longer I can hold out. As the saying goes, "I can resist anything but temptation!"

studio1087 likes this.

4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Holic

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    They look very cool. Not a bad price either, sounds like you've got enough change left over to get yourself a Beatles bob haircut and rock that thing out.
    Congrats and happy new amp day.:)

studio1087 likes this.

5. studio1087

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Thanks for that. I have edited. :confused:

6. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    Thank you for this report.

studio1087 likes this.

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Cool. How does it compare to the AC10, if you’ve tried that one?

studio1087 likes this.

8. studio1087

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I have two 15R’s and head that I built using a 15R chassis that someone pulled out of a cabinet. I also have a 15 (no R). I love the size, weight, look and mostly the tone. I believe that VOX is one of the only amp companies building a decent solid state amp with simple analog style knobs (like the knobs that you and I grew up with). I don’t want Cabinet emulation and emulation of how many speakers there are in a virtual cabinet. I don’t want 95 effect combinations that mostly sound like poop. I don’t need 20 LED flashing lights either.

Just make a nice little basic amp that happens to be solid state.

I don’t mean to sound like an enabler but I would buy one sooner than later just because I’m wondering how long they’ll be available. They’ve talked about this amp for a while now. I love to visit music stores when I travel for work and I’ve seen one. I asked for one “in the box from the store room” and Jason said “We got one and we have the books but the box is gone”. MF.com has them ( I checked) and they’ll do the 15%. Maybe just get one.

As far as the Beetle being better than a Pathfinder; it has more power, it has a 10” open back cab and the speaker is a real Celestion. They’ve also had over a decade to work on the tone. It should be better.

You may have to speak to a CSR. VOX is usually and exclusion so someone needs to override. Jason gestured to the store manager and he entered his magic code in the register. He also freaked when checked the amp. I’m 54 and I think we were the same age.

Don’t delay LGOberean! Call now. Operators are standing by! :cool:

LGOberean likes this.

9. studio1087

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I have an AC10. The AC10 is punchier as it’s closed backand it has about twice the 10” Celestion inside in regards to the magnet size and basket. The cabinet on the AC10 is sturdier.

My wife will go riding in the morning and our son has a school thing. I’m going to play the two side by side at gig volume. I’ll tell you more then.

richey88 likes this.

10. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    studio1087 likes this.

11. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Must. Resist. Shiny.

OldDude2 and studio1087 like this.

12. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2004
    Very nice!

studio1087 likes this.

13. NothingGoatboat

NothingGoatboat Tele-Meister

Aug 26, 2017
    Southern California
    studio1087 and dented like this.

14. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2015
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    I had a Super Beetle too ... 45 years ago.

Beetle.jpg

15. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

So, John, anything to report? I don't own an AC10, never plugged into one.* You said the AC10's cabinet was sturdier. Do you mean by that the cab of the MSB25 is flimsy, or just not as robust? Since I don't have experience with an AC10, that comparison doesn't help me.

How would you compare the cabinet of the MSB25 to that on the 15R?

* I have plugged into an AC15, once, in a recording studio. Even then, the amp was in one room, I was in another. So while I experienced the tone of the AC15 in that controled setting, I didn't examine the cab or speaker, or deal with the weight of the amp. I definitely liked the tone, but I remember thinking at the time that the tone wasn't dramatically better than that of my 15Rs. Though admittedly I wasn't A/B-ing them in the room.

16. studio1087

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    The Super Beetle Cabinet construction is lighter/thinner wood compared to a 15R. It’s beautiful to look at but you wouldn’t want to move it much. If you wanted an amp for a manly office or den it would be cool.

I returned the Super Beetle by the way. It’s all in another thread. It developed a noise that really worried me. I feel like a doofus for being so excited and then getting cold feet. The weird running noise through me into a worry spiral.

LGOberean likes this.

17. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Thanks for that update, John. And I read your other thread about returning it and getting the Marshall. I have been holding off because I really want if at all possible to try before I buy. And it's things like this that justify my cautious approach. It is a really cool looking amp, I like the features, and the tones I've been hearing in video demonstrations have amplified (yeah, I know :rolleyes:) my GAS for the thing. But I wouldn't want it for just home use, I'd want to gig with it. But if it isn't durable enough to take to a gig once or twice a week, well, I'm going to think twice about spending $330 for a practice amp when I already have three Pathfinder 15Rs. I'm now less likely than before to just give in an order one.

studio1087 likes this.

18. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    So you went in to look at a guitar, and came out with an impulse-buy amp, and then you returned that amp and got a different one.

This is the definition of mission creep. :D

studio1087 likes this.

19. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    And as we all know very well, he can only return 39 more amps before GC cuts him off. :p

studio1087 and SolidSteak like this.

20. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    I have the MV50ac head... it's fun but kind of feels like a toy. A fun toy, that I can plug into and get a cool Vox sound. Plenty loud, but yeah that laptop power supply is annoying. As far as moving it around, I feel like I can safely tuck it into the back of any open backed cabinet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.