New Twilight Zone

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Andy Summers, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Shuster

Shuster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I remember that one too, it was a creepy wait for the next picture!

Andy Summers likes this.
  2. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

Absolutely!!! It was very well done from what I recall.

Shuster likes this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I won't say I'm going to watch it, nor that I will not. I'm fence straddling because series like Star Trek, and "Lonesome Dove" are usually not repeatable. I liked Lonesome Dove as well as any western I've ever seen. The sequels, not so much. I'm kind of like that with Star Trek, both the series and I were a lot less worldly when it was new, I never really liked any of the spin offs, or movies as much as the original.

Something that really affects me in watching movies now and before when I was a young man, is that I have discovered as most do as they age that the truths I held to be self evident when I was young to have been for the most part proven to be just words. I have of late really been prone to watching people trying to act, rather than suspending belief and getting lost in the story, as you must if you are to be entertained. I'm not sure if it's because I have become a contrarian in my dotage but rather that the current crop of actors in general are so droll. There are exceptions of course, but in general they are not much.

LocoTex and Andy Summers like this.
  4. DFB1

DFB1 TDPRI Member

The TZ episode 22 is a good one
    I watch TZ every night on MeTv.
    Love that show.

Shuster and Andy Summers like this.
  5. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Holic

The original is undoubtable a hard act to follow though the new one may prove to be entertaining. As others have pointed out, the writing back then seemed much more intelligent and well put together and the acting of a higher caliber. Perhaps nowadays its streamlined to appeal to the fast paced crowd.

Just one more thing - another great series from the past with stellar acting and writing is Columbo. Anyone know whether Peter Falk was ever in an episode of the Twilight Zone?

Andy Summers likes this.
  6. Andy Summers

I’m going to say no, regarding Peter Falk being on TZ. I’ve seen them all plenty of times, and recently, as recently as right now..haha, and I don’t recall seeing him in one..everyone else from that time was though...lol

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I was just thinking of Night Gallery the other day. I haven't seen it since it's original run. I don't remember the episode or the context but a guy said, "Man proposes and God disposes." That's always stuck with me for some reason.

I have mixed feelings about Columbo. In mysteries of that time, they always told who done it. The thing was to see how the detective snared the bad guy (or gal). I started watching British mysteries on PBS and they didn't reveal the evil doer until the end and you were trying to figure it out with the same clues the hero was using. I find those more entertaining. You really have to pay attention to see how things unfolded.

But Peter Falk was great on that show. And he was on The Twilight Zone.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734663/

Andy Summers likes this.
  8. Andy Summers

Oh wow!! I stand corrected! That was a great episode too!! Good catch!!

9. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

I am all for anthology series; it's a shame they faded away. I also miss the days of syndicated, late night science fiction series.

10. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Some of the Alcoa Presents: 'One Step Beyond' shows scared the crap out of me as a kid.

I specifically recall one where a member of a German glider club group went up in a sailplane just before WWII, disappeared in the sky and was not seen from again. Then, six years later, after the war, the same people were on a reunion outing in the country when a sailplane appeared overhead, then came in and landed. When the people approached the glider and opened the canopy, there was the skeleton of the long missing pilot, with a knife sticking through the chest, showing that he had been murdered just before the plane was launched years ago.

I guess it was supposed to be stable enough to be dragged up into the air and released with a dead pilot on board, but as a kid, those kinds of details didn't always get tempered by logic.

Regardless, scared the snot out of me.

It may have been a copycat mystery show riding the shirt tails of The Twilight Zone's success, but One Step Beyond often creeped me out back then, and to me, it also had the creepiest presenter and closing theme music.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  11. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Peter Falk was in a TZ episode where he was the dictator of a country a lot like Cuba. Think Fidel Castro.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  12. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

I've accepted that once Disney launches thier streaming service I'll probably be on board, but I'm sure my wife will disagree with me on whether to cancel Netflix or Spectrum TV app... Netflix has much broader use and keeps the kids entertained in chunks about 3 hours long before needing the button pushed, but she likes Spectrum app to avoid the 10 minutes of kids picking a show before she can sleep when she gets off work...
    They'll probably license the new TZ to Prime within the next year; Amazon has plenty of old "premium " shows' first seasons, and I feel like that's the route to gaining viewers in 2019, make the first season accessible and get 'em addicted then charge them to continue the habit... I call it the "just a taste" or "first hits free" method.

13. DFB1

DFB1 TDPRI Member

It was called The Mirror.

2 Headed Goat and LocoTex like this.
  14. Cantbreak100guy

Cantbreak100guy Tele-Meister

I am a huge fan of the old TZ. Plus, I've seen "Get Out". Jordan Peele has another film called "Us". The trailer for that looks pretty decent. I will watch whenever I get the chance.
    Not sure when that will be. I'm trying to learn to play a guitar.

15. Andy Summers

Great old Rish song based on the series. Neil Peart, who writes the bands lyrics(for the non Rush I itited), is obviously a Twilight Zone fan. You may recognize what he is referring to in this song.

16. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Without Rod Serling they really should retire the Twilight Zone name. The 80's already made the attempt... and is a blueprint for what will happen this time around.

Re-hashing the name is just a lazy way to hook people quickly. Sadly, the comparisons will start immediately and the show will never live up to the original. A fresh name would give it a fighting chance to stand on it's own the way the Outer Limits and Night Gallery did.

That is the PILOT, the very first episode of Night Gallery and one of the greatest. That entire first season was fabulous.

DFB1 and Dennyf like this.
  17. Andy Summers

And that pilot scared the crap out of me...haha. The anticipation was killer in that episode.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.