New Twilight Zone

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Andy Summers, Mar 15, 2019 at 8:40 AM.

1. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

So the new Twilight Zone begins April 1st on CBS All Access.

Anyone going to watch? The original is one of my all time favorite shows and I don’t think it will ever be topped. The mix of black and white, the strange silence of it, the acting...just can’t be topped. The original had the perfect ingredients.

With that said, I am still intrigued. Kind of put off that I have to pay for CBS All Access though. Never wvem heard of that before to be honest.

TheMindful and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  2. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

I am a fan of Jordan Peele and the original show, so I plan on checking it out.

jimash and Andy Summers like this.
  3. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

I'm not watching day one, but I'm sure I will eventually.
    The original has certain nuances that most modern endeavors cant match.
    Rod Serling was so on point so often that I doubt anything will have all the ingredients to properly bare the name.
    At the time of the originals coming out, they captured an enormous audience and handled things that were simply off limits, such as race, conformity, arguably a different look at mental illness.
    The fact that we aren't living in a cold war mentality world alone changes how things play out, in this current world of instant access, where mystery is dying, it will be hard to hit the same degree of captivation. Maybe if television writers were as adept at telling a story as they were by the late 2000s at the time of the early 2000s, when our foundations were shaken and we worried if we really knew WHAT could happen, a Zone remake could have restored both a sense of wonder and peace of mind.

I predict that the show will be ok, and have strong episodes and weak ones, not unlike early Supernatural or Xfiles, or maybe first season Torchwood.
    Like, most of those make you think "what if this one thing were different?"

But Twilight Zone, you can have a whole episode where you think a woman in olden times is being attacked by tiny aliens and then your "oh Henry " ending is what makes you think: oh, WE are the aliens, that was a giant. This is not impossible if....

Or the Inception level follow up thinking on Come Wander with Us; floyd really wanted to reach that goal, so he was for sure going to end up in a bad way. I'm still not sure for certain what the older version of the girl IS.

I'm just not sure a modern remake will take similar risks and be that intellectual.

But nothing will tarnish my memory of the real thing, even if they make some moronic "update " on a passage for trumpet.

(Getting me talking about Twilight Zone is almost as dangerous as getting me talking about guitar...)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 9:32 AM
  4. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Good God, again? None of the TZ remakes have held a candle to the original, I wish they'd give it rest.

El Tele Lobo and Andy Summers like this.
  5. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

Two shows from my youth I really miss and they do not even show reruns..

Night gallery

Kolshack The night stalker..

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry but there's a good reason they never show up in re-runs.......just, sorry.

7. Andy Summers

Hahah!! Gotta love Floyd Burney. One of the last episodes, I believe..

And I hear ya, I could talk TZ all day...sounds like you have me beat in the memory of detail though. And I pride myself on my TZ knowledge..haha. But yeah, the magic of the original will never be topped. It’s just not possible.

8. Andy Summers

There was an episode of Night Gallery that scared the living poop out of me as a kid. I think it was NG anyway..hopefully my memory is serving me well.

I believe it was Roddy McDowell, and he had a painting of the cemetery in his yard on his wall..and every day a body would get closer and closer to the house in the picture...and finally a knock at the door:eek:

Hope I’m remembering everything correctly...but whatever that was has stuck with me all these years later.

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Paying for more streaming services is a no go for me. I've already paying for 3 plus cable so no more (unless my wife insists which is unlikely).

I'd also be concerned that the modern take on TZ would be poorly written with ham handed virtue signaling instead of the usually more subtle social commentary of the original.

10. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Holic

I've watched all the vintage Twilight Zone episodes on Netflix so many times that even though they are classics it's hard to watch them again. I'm sure I'll check the new one out.

Andy Summers likes this.
  11. Andy Summers

I agree...I’m not keen on paying for another streaming service. But I am intrigued by this and heard good things about Jordan Peele. So we’ll see..

12. DFB1

DFB1 TDPRI Member

MeTv airs both shows.
    Kolshack is on Saturday nights

13. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

CBS All Access? Is it not going to be on broadcast TV? Will it drop on Hulu or NetFlix or some other streaming service?

I have opinions here - but I won't go into it now (thread derailer).

Andy Summers likes this.
  14. Andy Summers

I don’t believe so, unixfish...I don’t care for that either

15. Shuster

Shuster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oh Yes, they still have reruns of Kolshack, I have 12 episodes taped for a binge watch. If you have it, check out METV, it's channel 247 on Dish, that channel has a bunch of oldies that are great.

Andy Summers likes this.
  16. Shuster

Beat me to it!;)

DFB1 and Andy Summers like this.
  17. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I loved night gallery when I was a kid, but it doesn't hold up very well. lots of dud episodes, imo.

LocoTex and Andy Summers like this.
  18. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Yep, that's the gist of it. Ossie Davis was the butler who was secretly switching the paintings. He got his comeuppance.

My favorite was the one about the psychiatrist with his "perfect" hypnotic subject who would present symptoms of any disease suggested to him while under hypnosis. To bring him out of the trance, the doc would knock on the table in a certain pattern. They tried the ultimate experiment, death. And the doc couldn't bring him back. Weeks or months later the doc's wife, while listening to a recording of the session realizes the doc didn't use the right knock to bring him back. She runs out to the crypt, the doc in hot pursuit to stop her. She knocks the right sequence on the casket, and the last scene is her staring in horror at the gristly cadaver with it's hands locked around her husband's throat.

And dudes, it's Kolchak.

Andy Summers likes this.
  19. Shuster

I'll be watching it, but when it hit Netflix or something free. I love series that stick me to my seat! When I was young, there was the show call Project Terror, "where the Scientific and the Terrifying Emerge" loved that show, on every Friday night at 11:00 sitting 2 feet from the black and white 23'' TV

Andy Summers likes this.
  20. Andy Summers

Sounds awesome...and familiar. I’m sure I’ve seem that one before.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.