Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

New toy!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by unclearty, Sep 22, 2006.

1. unclearty

unclearty Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2006
    South central Mass.
    Well..after all these years....I finally got myself a real geetar! Picked up a standard Tele last night. Stopped by GC..about the 5th one this week...didn't really find anything that struck a nerve...just happened to talk with one of the sales guys...told him I wanted something a little different..new or used..he grinned and said, "how 'bout this"? Apparently, on Wednesday, a bunch of kids came into the store to perform their tribute to POISON. One of the kids played this sunburst Tele, and when he went to put it back in the wall holders, he didn't look at what he was doing...BANG!! The neckstock slipped right thru the holder and the Tele went straight down onto the corner of the metal display rack. There's a chunk cracked at the bottom..right next to the strap lock. I think with a little work on my part, it will be barely noticeable. They took $130 off their regular price. Pick her up tomorrow morning. Can't wait to get her home!
    The only down side is, I'm trading in my really nice Godin SD to get the Tele.

2. FraKo

FraKo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Milan, Italy
    Welcome in the Sunburst-MIM Standard-Owners Club. You won't regret that trade. Now asap you'll have to mount a vintasge bridge to get the Tele Heaven. Maybe you won't need it. Great bargain!

3. fenderix

fenderix Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Europe
    Thank heaven ...

... for clumsy kids! And congratulations to you for being able to profit from them ... :lol:

4. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    I loved my Godin LGX-SA, but keep the Teles... I only miss it a little. Great deal, and you will come to treasure the Tele. :)

5. FraKo

FraKo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Milan, Italy
    Just an idea...

I could teach my son to do the same with a Nocaster, maybe they'll lower the price of - let's say - 1,300 bucks or so...

"Dear son, would you pls. get in that store and ask the clerck to try that little nice tele? Then leave the store - quickly, sonny - and don't say 'hello' if you see me get in"

6. geemo

geemo Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2006
    Europe
    Or they will add 1,300 for now beeing a Super relic Nocaster! Lol :lol:

7. mojocasterman

mojocasterman Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2006
    I recently acquired a Godin XTSA, the one w/ the mag pups, the piezzo and the synth access. I hadn't owned a Godin for a long time, unless I count my SD4 bass... anyway, the thing hasn't arrived yet but I can't wait! I plan on using it to record w/ the piezzo mostly, but I probably will also use it for the HBs since I don't currently have a guitar w/ out single coils in it, since I sold my N2.

Anyway, a sunburst tele is a thing of beauty, so good for you :)

8. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Just a sidetrack, hopefully not a hijack..

The two (Godin SA vs. Tele) are really at opposite ends of the spectrum. Teles are beautiful for their simplicity. Godins are beautiful for the craftsmanship, and versatility. They are both fantastic guitars, IMO. BUT- Give me a Tele for live work. My LGX-SA was truly a work of art, but I always felt like I was one click of (the wrong) switch away from disaster when playing it live. Partly due to the alphanumeric patch names on the Roland GR-30, partly because when I'm entertaining a crowd I don't have time to remember the words, the chords, the notes, keep working the audience, directing traffic onstage, and if patch number X-3 is a delayed guitar in an open tuning, or if it's a thunder clap. Too many distractions can ruin a performance. The Tele is just so user friendly, and they sound so good.

OK... Back to the real topic now... :D

9. SteveY

SteveY Tele-Afflicted

Mar 26, 2004
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Absolutely right!
    I ruined an old Tele for performing once by adding a couple of mini-toggles.
    Only confused me onstage!:oops:

10. NEPATelecaster

NEPATelecaster Tele-Afflicted

Jan 30, 2006
    Lovelton PA
    Well...That makes me sad, but hey it's for a tele...

11. unclearty

unclearty Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2006
    South central Mass.
    Follow up.....well I got her home. She had fallen out of the hook..straight down onto a piece of metal bracket. It cracked the bottom and jammed wood fibers up into the crack. I carefully pried the crack open and used a hooked draw carving knife to dig out the crushed fibers. I then filled the crack with thin superglue...clamped the body between some waxed paper and blocks of wood. Toinight, I removed the clamps and began smoothing it out. I then added some body final finish putty. It's now sitting under a low-heat lamp curing overnight. Tomorrow night I'll sand down the filler and begin tinting the dark part of the sunburst. Hopefully when I'm done, it will at least be much less noticeable.[​IMG][/IMG]

12. zooropamofo

zooropamofo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2006
    Long Valley-Birches
    And hey....if the refinish didn't work out, you can always add a Bigsby!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.